Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2023, 11:52 PM   #1721
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I skipped S2 entirely but after some cautiously optimistic first impressions I’m giving this one a try. At least it finally appears someone who understands the importance of ship beauty shots is involved with this one. It’s silly how much brighter outer space is compared to the inside of a ship though. And thank god they dumped that coma inducing musical theme from before.

Picard himself still doesn’t sound or look quite right to me, and I’m not talking about him just being super old. Still a bit too many facial expressions and none of the guarded formality from TNG, but I guess not as bad as previous seasons. Riker on the other hand is striking the right balance of same character but older.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:57 PM   #1722
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh and Captain Shaw is right. Put those rule bending yahoos and their pathetically disguised subterfuge in its place. He must be Jellico’s nephew.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:21 AM   #1723
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Shaw's career would be over in the real navy, and seven would be facing a long sentence at Leavenworth breaking rocks. As in forever.

A Captain is responsible for every single thing that happens. The excuse, I was sleeping isn't a defense against what was pretty much a mutiny. Plus if you look in most Modern Naval units, the Captain has a digital repeating display by his or her bunk that shows everything that's happening navigation and ships condition wise.

Also while an XO could make minor course corrections while standing watch. But changing the actual destination, no crew member would follow that order without the confirmation of the Ships Commanding officer.

Shaw would be cashiered, Seven on her way to a court Marshall followed by a long prison term, and most of the bridge crew would be demoted at best for not following procedure.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 06:26 AM   #1724
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is going to be the worst season yet. They aren't fooling me again, and you know why? Raffi is still in this show, doing totally nonsensical stuff. One of the worst characters on TV. No, this is going to be bad.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:32 AM   #1725
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Shaw's career would be over in the real navy, and seven would be facing a long sentence at Leavenworth breaking rocks. As in forever.

A Captain is responsible for every single thing that happens. The excuse, I was sleeping isn't a defense against what was pretty much a mutiny. Plus if you look in most Modern Naval units, the Captain has a digital repeating display by his or her bunk that shows everything that's happening navigation and ships condition wise.

Also while an XO could make minor course corrections while standing watch. But changing the actual destination, no crew member would follow that order without the confirmation of the Ships Commanding officer.

Shaw would be cashiered, Seven on her way to a court Marshall followed by a long prison term, and most of the bridge crew would be demoted at best for not following procedure.
Kirk was given a brand new ship cause he happened to save Earth while on the same errand that he stole and destroyed his old ship, so I’m sure they’ll have similar consideration for these guys.

Crusher’s ship is weird, it’s like they took a normal saucer and nacelles design and shrunk it down to the size of like 3 shuttlecraft. You’d barely be able to stand upright in that thing.
Old 02-18-2023, 11:04 AM   #1726
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Crusher's ship's interior looks like an old warehouse

Old 02-18-2023, 11:11 AM   #1727
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am assuming the kid is Picard’s so what is his tally at now? Is that his 2nd or 3rd? Is this possibly a Star Trek II scenario we have now? Evil villain; long lost son; destructive weapon; an Admiral going out on an adventure…
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 11:47 AM   #1728
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember when they made Picard an android, and then never discussed it again?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2023, 12:01 PM   #1729
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was pretty good. I told my wife, when they have an extended scene of a ship slowly leaving space dock from multiple angles with swelling orchestral music, you know someone who knows Star Trek is finally in charge.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2023, 12:10 PM   #1730
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I thought it was pretty good. I told my wife, when they have an extended scene of a ship slowly leaving space dock from multiple angles with swelling orchestral music, you know someone who knows Star Trek is finally in charge.
Maybe I'm cynical, but after how this show has treated it's audience and with a return of the TNG cast, I see it more as forced fan service from people who don't really understand.
Old 02-18-2023, 12:25 PM   #1731
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Yeah kind of interesting we went from the tanning booth that was the Enterprise D bridge to bridges that require night vision googles to walk around.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2023, 12:46 PM   #1732
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else surprised that Geordi didnt name his daughter Leah?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 01:15 PM   #1733
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was hoping that he was spending a dime in a Federation Prison for stalking.

I did laugh at that bit of fan service as it was done in Generations where Kirk ran into Sulu's daughter on the Bridge of the Enterprise.

Old 02-18-2023, 01:34 PM   #1734
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That episode definitely felt like the start of a new TNG movie, right down to the Jerry Goldsmith-ey score, which is probably why I liked it. Other than some very minor nit-picky stuff that some of you have already pointed out, I have no complaints so far and I'm interested to see where this goes.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 03:11 PM   #1735
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am assuming the kid is Picard’s so what is his tally at now? Is that his 2nd or 3rd? Is this possibly a Star Trek II scenario we have now? Evil villain; long lost son; destructive weapon; an Admiral going out on an adventure…
The Picard Maneuver is impossible to resist.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:57 PM   #1736
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Anyone else surprised that Geordi didnt name his daughter Leah?
His future timeline daughter was named Sydney in All Good Things
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 06:58 PM   #1737
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I'm assuming it's a Jack Crusher clone from the stuff she had in her lab
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 07:01 PM   #1738
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
His future timeline daughter was named Sydney in All Good Things
Yeah, which is why she's named Sydney in this...I'm just sayin' tho...he had a real thing for Leah...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 07:18 PM   #1739
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, which is why she's named Sydney in this...I'm just sayin' tho...he had a real thing for Leah...
It's actually Levar's real daughter, so that's kind of cool. I am curious who spent more time in the holodeck total, Barclay with Love Goddess Troi, or Geordi with "everytime you touch the warp core you touch me" Brahms
Old 02-18-2023, 07:19 PM   #1740
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why would you name your daughter after the woman you had very inappropriate and unhealthy boundary-pushing, line-crossing hots for??

Can you imagine Leah coming back and discovering Geordi named his daughter after her? How romantic.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post: