Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2023, 03:59 PM   #2681
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That doesn’t look great. Not that I care too much about old series anymore, but I am guessing they’re just not pulling SNW mid-season cause that would be a total dick move. Is Paramount+ worth subscribing to besides for ST content?

occasionally I get "three months for $5.99/month" emails, so I subscribe for three months. Is it worth $10-12 or whatever it is normally? No.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 07:41 PM   #2682
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I checked out on Discovery after season 1 and mostly forgot about it completely, but with how good SNW is I'm working my way through season 2 just to get more Captain Pike stuff. He hard carried that season, and when his arc ends I'm checking back out. I forgot all about that spore drive BS, and it makes me mad because in a different series it could totally work and be awesome. Jump anywhere in the galaxy and explore tons of new places? Fantastic, just don't put it in a prequel series that totally ####s up the continuity of your universe. I also forgot how ugly those uniforms were, and it hurt to watch Pike swap into them from his awesome Enterprise duds
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:11 PM   #2683
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the only good thing on Disco was the Pike stuff.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:15 PM   #2684
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yeah, the only good thing on Disco was the Pike stuff.
Because Anson Mount is a Treasure!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 02:06 PM   #2685
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Episode 3....

"Captain Kirk Does Canada"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 02:30 PM   #2686
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smart way to avoid needing to make Toronto look like somewhere else.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:36 PM   #2687
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not the strongest episode …but it was fun seeing present day Toronto in Star Trek.
Old 06-29-2023, 03:16 PM   #2688
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Not the strongest episode …but it was fun seeing present day Toronto in Star Trek.
Essentially a Mirror Universe episode with a little wibbly, wobbly timey wimey thrown in for some good fun.

Not the strongest, and the more and more they write Pike out of Episodes the angrier I get!!

Old 06-29-2023, 09:37 PM   #2689
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm running through Lower Decks again in anticipation of the Cross-over episode...man...I want a top secret Starfleet Gift Shop.

Every ship should have one.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:37 PM   #2690
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Essentially a Mirror Universe episode with a little wibbly, wobbly timey wimey thrown in for some good fun.

Not the strongest, and the more and more they write Pike out of Episodes the angrier I get!!

I thought it was a good episode. They seem to be emphasizing La’An a bit more than other characters this season, but that’s not too bad. I didn’t feel like an intense longing for Pike or anything.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:44 AM   #2691
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I thought the Kirk actor did a pretty good job with the character, I wonder if they have any bigger plans for him. It was also nice to see the federation time cops make an appearance again after so long, and a quick line about all the temporal war shenanigans delaying historic events was a nice touch to retcon the eugenics wars not actually happening in the 90's

I do wonder though, now that the Federation temporal agency has been confirmed in so many series how you can explain the whole Kelvin-verse thing. It's not an entirely separate universe since prime Trek Spock kicks the whole thing off, so where were the time cops when Spock and the Romulans got sucked into the past?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:53 AM   #2692
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I thought the Kirk actor did a pretty good job with the character, I wonder if they have any bigger plans for him. It was also nice to see the federation time cops make an appearance again after so long, and a quick line about all the temporal war shenanigans delaying historic events was a nice touch to retcon the eugenics wars not actually happening in the 90's

I do wonder though, now that the Federation temporal agency has been confirmed in so many series how you can explain the whole Kelvin-verse thing. It's not an entirely separate universe since prime Trek Spock kicks the whole thing off, so where were the time cops when Spock and the Romulans got sucked into the past?
Dunkin' Donuts on Starbase 80?

Old 06-30-2023, 08:55 AM   #2693
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I originally wasn't keen on a Noonien-Singh as part of the crew but I've come around on that, she was pretty good in this episode.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:17 AM   #2694
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I originally wasn't keen on a Noonien-Singh as part of the crew but I've come around on that, she was pretty good in this episode.
She needs a little bit of an opportunity to flex because largely prior to this episode she hadnt had many chances to much more than:

"Grrr...me angry!"

Old 06-30-2023, 11:26 AM   #2695
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Chong was really really good this. The last scene was really well done.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:56 AM   #2696
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I thought Chong was really really good this. The last scene was really well done.
I thought she was good too. Its not one of my favourite episodes, theres just something about the actor playing Kirk that I dont really like...its like...he's not making me 'believe him.'

Its also that Kirk in SNW isnt really all that well fleshed out. I kind of wish they'd just leave him as a ancillary character and focus on Pike's Enterprise and crew.

Thats not to say it was a bad episode at all, not one of my favourites it was a 'heavy' episode that was also kind of light? But the tempo and gravity seemed all over the place. One moment its Hijinx and the next moment its tragedy.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:28 PM   #2697
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny that we've seen Kirk in 2 episodes so far and by the end of each one, everything that happened in the episode is wiped out. So, really, we still haven't seen the real Kirk from the SNW timeline except for the brief call at the end of this episode.

That's a problem the showrunners face with this officially being a prequel to the original series because in TOS, Kirk says that the only time he ever met Pike before his accident was at the handover ceremony when Kirk became Captain of the Enterprise. To be consistent, they can't have Kirk and Pike meet in this series without cancelling it out in the end.

Also, I wonder if we'll ever see Sam Kirk again? He's apparently still serving on board the Enterprise.
Old 06-30-2023, 12:29 PM   #2698
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It's funny that we've seen Kirk in 2 episodes so far and by the end of each one, everything that happened in the episode is wiped out. So, really, we still haven't seen the real Kirk from the SNW timeline except for the brief call at the end of this episode.

That's a problem the showrunners face with this officially being a prequel to the original series because in TOS, Kirk says that the only time he ever met Pike before his accident was at the handover ceremony when Kirk became Captain of the Enterprise. To be consistent, they can't have Kirk and Pike meet in this series without cancelling it out in the end.

Also, I wonder if we'll ever see Sam Kirk again? He's apparently still serving on board the Enterprise.
There is no Sam Kirk there is only Sam Kirk's moustache.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:41 PM   #2699
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I thought she was good too. Its not one of my favourite episodes, theres just something about the actor playing Kirk that I dont really like...its like...he's not making me 'believe him.'

Its also that Kirk in SNW isnt really all that well fleshed out. I kind of wish they'd just leave him as a ancillary character and focus on Pike's Enterprise and crew.

Thats not to say it was a bad episode at all, not one of my favourites it was a 'heavy' episode that was also kind of light? But the tempo and gravity seemed all over the place. One moment its Hijinx and the next moment its tragedy.

Nothing against the actor but I agree he doesn't really come across as Kirk.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 12:45 PM   #2700
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Nothing against the actor but I agree he doesn't really come across as Kirk.
For a show that usually gives you plenty to chew on, for whatever reason I'm just not buying him.

And maybe its because when Mount gets on screen he just has that overbearing presence that this Kirk and the actor playing him just doesnt convey.