Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #61
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Went through this as an Oilers fan. Just couldn't muster up the energy to care. Would follow of course, and would never cheer for another team, just didn't spend so much time on hockey. My enthusiasm has been ramping up over last season, and was super pumped about Lucic signing, as well as the Hall trade.

It's normal imo. No one wants to watch crappy hockey
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #62
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Bad Team
2. Playing Boring Hockey
3. In a sport that is generally becoming less entertaining
4. And a dive-fest (Soccer on Ice) to drive power-plays which basically decide games
5. That's expensive to see live
6. And you can watch every game on TV
7. And there are a TON of other entertainment options now.

The issue with sports in general is that the 25-35 aged generation are slowly having kids and less time to be a diehard, while the new generation has better entertainment options and aren't into watching sports as much.

And those that do/may can not afford it!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #63
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Same. Can't bother to put the game on the TV when they play, I seem to not care anymore.

####... this must be what it feels like being an Oilers fan
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #64
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of years ago when the Flames were still pretty bad but were in every game, it was fun and exciting hockey. Now it just seems like they don't care at all, and my passion is matching the teams. It's hard to care about a team that doesn't care and a coach that seems so lost. Living in Ontario being a Flames fan kinda sucks because of the time change but I would catch as many games as possible but now I even find that I would rather sleep in bed instead of falling asleep watching them play.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #65
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Went through this as an Oilers fan. Just couldn't muster up the energy to care. Would follow of course, and would never cheer for another team, just didn't spend so much time on hockey. My enthusiasm has been ramping up over last season, and was super pumped about Lucic signing, as well as the Hall trade.

It's normal imo. No one wants to watch crappy hockey
For me it's the fact that the team is in a hopeless situation much like when Eakins was the head coach. All an Oilers fan could do was patiently wait for him to be fired and hope the organization hires a legit NHL head coach. Flames and the Oilers aren't a lot different in that both organizations have had few really good NHL head coaches since the 80's. Flames have Darryl Sutter and that's it to show for almost three decades which is part of the reason the Flames have been one of the most mediocre NHL organizations over that time span.

There are two things an NHL team needs to ensure to become successful and that's to make good use of your top draft picks and ensure you find a quality NHL head coach. Flames have really failed on the latter.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #66
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
For me it's the fact that the team is in a hopeless situation much like when Eakins was the head coach. All an Oilers fan could do was patiently wait for him to be fired and hope the organization hires a legit NHL head coach. Flames and the Oilers aren't a lot different in that both organizations have had few really good NHL head coaches since the 80's. Flames have Darryl Sutter and that's it to show for almost three decades which is part of the reason the Flames have been one of the most mediocre NHL organizations over that time span.

There are two things an NHL team needs to ensure to become successful and that's to make good use of your top draft picks and ensure you find a quality NHL head coach. Flames have really failed on the latter.
Hard to argue anything said here.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #67
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

It seems as if I've seen this same show over and over and over and over.

Aside from a few sparks of excitement, its been the same bleh game played by different players.

Last edited by ricosuave; 11-11-2016 at 09:28 AM.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #68
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm 22 years old. Outside of 2004 and 2015 I've had absolutely nothing to cheer about. The '07-'09 teams were never really good enough to get excited about the playoffs. 2006 was the only year in my life they had what I would consider an elite team but they choked in the playoffs.

I'm also getting sick of donkeys like Ken King running this team and expecting fans to continue paying stupid prices for mediocre hockey. Also his reluctance to listen to the fans and change our ugly jerseys. At least we'd look nice losing.

What really did it for me though was McDavid going to Edmonton. I really lost interest in the NHL after that. It was such a joke they allowed that to happen. What's disgrace and total disservice to the league.

I still watch every Flames game for some reason, but it feels more like a chore than doing it for pleasure. I'll always be a Flames fan no matter what, but it's tough right now. I guess I should be used to it by now though.

Last edited by N-E-B; 11-11-2016 at 09:15 AM.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #69
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Its going to be tough to justify buying in on the season tickets next season unless I magically start to make more money. Owell.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #70
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I only watched three periods of the two games on the weekend, and while I was on the couch for the whole game last night, I wasn't actively paying it much attention except for one period. Starting to debate whether to actively focus on it, or just have it on in the background while I do something else. The entertainment value this week has been terrible. I understand those that are feeling like this is watching the Brent Sutter Flames because it certainly feels that way at times. Down 2-0? Game feels almost hopeless, and while they did fight to come back last night, still ended up losing.

Maybe I should follow the who scores first stat. Flames are now 1-8 when giving up the first goal. I supported the need for a rebuild, and understand it is not completely done, but hockey is first and foremost entertainment, and it is failing miserably in that regard this season.

I feel bad for those of you who spent thousands on tickets. A poor season, and I'm only out the $139 I paid for Center Ice.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #71
jd456
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've had this conversation with some friends recently. In about 12 months, I've gone from almost scheduling my life around every game to just having it on as background noise while I'm playing video games or doing something else around the apartment.

I think I got my hopes up too high after the last playoff run. I had a feeling there would be a slight drop off from there, but not this bad. It's frustrating to watch and I have too any other things going on right now to spend 2.5 hrs being frustrated 3 times a week.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #72
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The frustrating part is there are decent elements to the team. 5-on-5 they've played pretty well this year.

But the special teams are on track to be historically bad if their current pace continues. 8% on the PP is unreal. They're 30th in PP and 29th in PK at the moment.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #73
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to watch Sportscentre every morning and every day after work.

With the Flames struggling over the last 2 years, McDavid, and now Matthews, I haven't watched sports highlights in months. And I used to love keeping up with the league (also Jay and Dan are gone, and the TSN anchors are not good right now).
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #74
Iggyinla
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I haven't gone to a game in 4 years as a result of poor atmosphere and high ticket prices for a mediocre product. I have almost lost interest completely this year. I find myself watching more out of market games and just check the flames score with low expectations and move on.
Iggyinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #75
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Don't have a choice! I have to write 82 game stories!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #76
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

but seriously I'm as disappointed as everyone, but still watch with curiosity do to the fact the team has so many pieces in place. It's not working right now, but I generally don't toss my off season opinion out in the first 10 days of November.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #77
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do feel its not as much fun to talk about right now. There is almost nothing left to say except to hope the players on the ice get it together. Because unless management surprises us with a bold move, its just a waiting game.

There are few, if any, "trade-able" players on this team that could fetch a decent return and the coaching staff needs to be given some time. By trade-able, I mean guys that management would be willing to part with at this point.

If you really want to find fault with the organization, it all comes back to development. Monahan and Gaudreau are exceptional talents and burst on the scene with immediate impact. Are they progressing? Guys like Bennett, Hamilton etc. have potential but at this point, don't seem to be getting much better.

And when is the last time a call-up made an impact on this team?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #78
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I do feel its not as much fun to talk about right now. There is almost nothing left to say except to hope the players on the ice get it together. Because unless management surprises us with a bold move, its just a waiting game.

There are few, if any, "trade-able" players on this team that could fetch a decent return and the coaching staff needs to be given some time. By trade-able, I mean guys that management would be willing to part with at this point.

If you really want to find fault with the organization, it all comes back to development. Monahan and Gaudreau are exceptional talents and burst on the scene with immediate impact. Are they progressing? Guys like Bennett, Hamilton etc. have potential but at this point, don't seem to be getting much better.

And when is the last time a call-up made an impact on this team?
Off topic, but I have to vehemently disagree with that. List of players who could get a decent or good return in a trade:

1. Johnny
  2. Mony
  3. Bennett
  4. Backlund
  5. Tkachuk
  6. Gio
  7. Brodie
  8. Hamilton
  9. Elliot if he signs.
  10. You might throw in Jokipakka too.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #79
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's tough... Real tough. You consider the optimism coming into this season and it only makes it more difficult.

I've been pretty down about the team and I would definitely consider myself someone that invests himself in the team, both financially and obviously emotionally.

It just cements what I have always known. Being a Flames fan is hard!
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #80
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think another factor is how many games are played. It is pretty difficult for all but the most hardcore fans to get excited for a mid-week, mid-season game against a non-traditional opponent, and especially when the product isn't exciting. I mean, next week the Flames host Arizona at 8:00 PM on Wednesday! Outside of the hardcores, who is going to go out of their way to attend that game? Not to mention there is going to be exactly no excitement or anticipation in the buildup.

Would cutting the season back by 20 or 30 games - which I know would never happen $ - build excitement? I think so. Part of the beauty of the NFL is having an entire week of anticipation for each game, regardless of opponent. I have no idea how baseball fans can endure 162-game seasons.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote