Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default ridiculous PETA ad

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/20.../18768286.html

A shark attack is called "payback" in a graphic new PETA ad. What do these clowns do when they see animals eat other animals? Maybe they should go to the Serengeti and offer the lions some tofu instead of the gazelles they enjoy snacking on.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could have probably just called it "PETA ad". The ridiculous is already assumed.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Maybe they should go to the Serengeti and offer the lions some tofu instead of the gazelles they enjoy snacking on.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seriously had never seen that before I wrote the initial post.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

The proble with PETA is I doubt they get any new support. They're preaching to the converted because of their extremism.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Just a bunch of psychos. Humans = animals? No. Humans win. Stupid freaks.

Edit: I hate PETA so much. They make Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys look sane.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have absolutely nothing against vegetarians, they can choose whatever course they take, if its for health-related reasons or if they believe its saving them cash. What I don't understand is those that take it too far, like this PETA ad.

PETA is for the extremists. I don't like extremists.

You can choose whatever you want to eat. I've chosen to eat meat because I'm a varsity athlete. If I switch over to vegetarianism I'd see a drastic decrease in my performance.

Last edited by littlereddevil; 10-02-2011 at 12:23 AM.
littlereddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlereddevil View Post
I've chosen to eat meat because I'm a varsity athlete. If I switch over to vegetarianism I'd see a drastic decrease in my performance.
Carl Lewis won at least three olympic golds and two world championships as a vegan (with some lesser medals thrown in). (He changed his diet at some point in the middle of his career, but before what is considered his peak in 1991, and he personally credited his diet for a lot of his success.)

We can of course go into educated guesses about what else was on his diet, but I'd still say that if Carl Lewis could be the fastest man on earth without eating meat, propably most of the rest of us could do just fine without it too.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The best way to deal with them is to ignore them. PETA doesn't exist to help or save animals. It exists to make money for itself.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

what? Sharks don't eat vegans?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alright I'm a vegetarian (well pescetarian if we want to split hairs) and I'll just come and say it, I hate PETA.

They are nothing more than media trolls on par with the Westboro Baptist Church, anytime there's a tragedy in the world both groups use it to draw attention to themselves. Westboro Baptist Church blames the homosexuals and PETA compares human death to the death of animals for food.

In short, don't feed the trolls.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlereddevil View Post
I have absolutely nothing against vegetarians, they can choose whatever course they take, if its for health-related reasons or if they believe its saving them cash. What I don't understand is those that take it too far, like this PETA ad.

PETA is for the extremists. I don't like extremists.

You can choose whatever you want to eat. I've chosen to eat meat because I'm a varsity athlete. If I switch over to vegetarianism I'd see a drastic decrease in my performance.
http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?t=723
Say hello to these athletes.
I don't care what anyone eats either, it's ridiculous to suggest you need meat as an athlete...extreme even.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Oliwa
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I prefer models covered in meat opposes to a shark eating some dude. Stupid Peta.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
Lobotroth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What I don't get is if a shark is allowed to eat a human why can't a human eat some meat too? I don't know about the rest of you but if I go without meat for an extended period of time I crave it, almost like my body needs to have it. Maybe that's why some vegans are so crazy, their body and mind needs some meat.
Lobotroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #15
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?t=723
Say hello to these athletes.
I don't care what anyone eats either, it's ridiculous to suggest you need meat as an athlete...extreme even.
indeed it's rather sad, imagine how much better they could have been had they been meatitarians. So much untapped potential.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well .. this thread is going off the rails but ...

If you are a vegetarian for health reasons, you have simply not read any unbiased literature. It is, quite simply, ridiculous.

If you are a vegetarian for moral reasons, well then, I can respect that.

I would suggest that these elite athletes are outliers who have achieved greatness in their sports IN SPITE of being vegetarians ... not because of. Animal sources of protein have been shown to increase performance and recovery in the vast majority.

Sorry .. just my two cents as the veggies were getting all the love in this thread

Last edited by scotty2hotty; 10-02-2011 at 12:24 PM.
scotty2hotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Q: How many PETA members does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Infinite, because PETA can't change anything.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #18
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As for the "it's natural to eat other animals" theory.... some species of animals rape, torture (ever see what a cat does with a mouse before it eats it?), enslave, brutalize, murder (kill their own species in a fight over a mate). Are we to suggest that everything that animals do are ethical because they are natural?

-=-=-=-=-
I'm with jaydorn. I've been a vegetarian for about 20 years and detest PETA. They are doing only harm to the cause they claim to embrace. It's not so much the extremism that pisses me off... it's the hypocrisy and absolutely horrible bad taste to their ads. Much of it is obscene and offensive. You don't gather many bees with vinegar.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Devils'Advocate For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #19
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
If you are a vegetarian for health reasons, you have simply not read any unbiased literature. It is, quite simply, ridiculous.
There are about 5 bazillion different theories, all contradictory and whose to say which one of them is the most correct?? Everyone has got studies contradicting everyone else's study. Hell look at the food guides put out by Canada and the US, they ram carbs down your throat and the only thing it's resulted in is the most overweight society in the history of mankind.

I think our bodies are incredibly adaptable and a person can experience a healthy living on almost any diet but it depends more on them maintaining a active healthy lifestyle and being responsible with their eating habits then the exact breakdown of where their food comes from.

I personally love the taste of meat and I've yet to be convinced of either the ethical or health related reasons to give it up. That being said I am considering a 30 day vegan challenge just to experiment and try it out for myself.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #20
Lobotroth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
As for the "it's natural to eat other animals" theory.... some species of animals rape, torture (ever see what a cat does with a mouse before it eats it?), enslave, brutalize, murder (kill their own species in a fight over a mate). Are we to suggest that everything that animals do are ethical because they are natural?

-=-=-=-=-
I'm with jaydorn. I've been a vegetarian for about 20 years and detest PETA. They are doing only harm to the cause they claim to embrace. It's not so much the extremism that pisses me off... it's the hypocrisy and absolutely horrible bad taste to their ads. Much of it is obscene and offensive. You don't gather many bees with vinegar.
I would love to see a cat eat a plant instead of a mouse in order to be ethical, not arguing just saying it would be funny to see.
Lobotroth is offline   Reply With Quote