Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #361
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So its gonna take 3 years for this team just to figure out how to get out of the first round? Not even a close comparison.
Quote:
If I go back through your posts from 04, am I going to see the Flames will win the cup in 2007?
Because they made the final in 86, won in 89 & therefore will win 3 years after losing in the final

I don't think creating random patterns is how sports are won.
Not what I was implying at all. Just saying that things look bleak now but we have a fairly good team now and with some tweaking, we might have more success in the future.

Trust me, it never felt good in 85/85 to go out in 5 either but it takes time to find the right pieces. We have not found them yet.

And to get there in 89, we had to trade a pretty good piece in Hull...might have to trade something good here too.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #362
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing is for sure is that I won’t waste my money on first round playoff tickets in the future considering their choking probability and the complete gouging that the Flames did this year.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #363
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hopefully this was a huge lesson learned, and Tre has an idea moving forward where our weaknesses are.

The next morning I'm still disappointed but have faith Treliving will make the team better moving forward for next year.

Being a Flames fan since their relocation to Calgary in 1980, I'm used to being let down by this club, but I do have faith in Treliving that he will learn from this and makes the necessary adjustments for next year.

Cheers everyone, it's been great chatting with you all over the season and I look forward to doing it again.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yobbo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #364
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not necessarily anything new nor am I obsolving Gaudreau of another poor showing in the playoffs, but as dominant as Mackinnon is (posters reducing the results of their top line to just one guy), other players made plays when they had their chances. Rantanen's multiple one timer goals versus Monahan flubbing prime Gaudreau passes. Lindholm hesitance to shoot until the 3rd period of the elimination game and Landeskog being around the net despite only getting a single goal all series.

The simplest thing to say might be somehow changing the responsibilities Monahan has or somehow moving him down a line and giving us the depth we need (solving a whole bunch of other issues). Yet at the same time getting a better #1 could probably be the hardest thing short of being the Leafs or a lottery pick winner. Honestly don't envy Treliving's job because I don't really see an easy way out of this short of hoping another Schenn/ORielly opportunity pops up this offseason.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #365
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

How's this for a gross stat: this is the 7th consecutive series the Flames have lost when having home ice in the series (all first round)..in 4 of those series, they went into it as the (regular season) division champions.

Just a disgusting stretch..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #366
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
One thing is for sure is that I won’t waste my money on first round playoff tickets in the future considering their choking probability and the complete gouging that the Flames did this year.

Speaking of gouging, at what point was it decided to jack up the prices of beer, pizza and burgers an hour before the game rather than half an hour beforehand?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #367
skcli
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Speaking of gouging, at what point was it decided to jack up the prices of beer, pizza and burgers an hour before the game rather than half an hour beforehand?

I found out last night that they charge half price on draft beer before 7pm. They were $5 each. I bought six of them and I was glad that I did because I was half drunk before Avs scored their fourth goal. The half price beer would be my best memory for this first round playoff series for many years to come.
skcli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #368
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Last time we got bounced in 4....this time we made it 5!

Baby steps....baby steps....

Not even two steps forward before our step back.

FML
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #369
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Many here are too young to know or remember.....

but the first year the Flames went to the Cup final against Montreal in 85/86 season, we won the first at home and then lost the next 4.

Took 3 more years to get there again and then succeed...and even then, the first round against Vancouver was brutal.

Just putting things in perspective.
Yes - that was a tough loss to take in 86. Paid off in spades when we beat them in 89 though.

Last edited by taxbuster; 04-21-2019 at 03:02 PM.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #370
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sup everyone? I stopped checking CP during the Lenten season so I was inactive. Now that I'm back, I'd like to say what a season. There were ups. Purple Gatorade. Career highs for half of the team. GiordaNorris. 24 wins on the road. Pacific Division champions. Best of the West. New York Times. Toronto Sun. Those comebacks. Stars aligned well for all of us during the regular season.

And then there were downs. The playoffs man. MacKinnon is a beast. That's like playing a motivated Oilers team. Imagine McDavid being MacKinnon and Draisaitl as Rantanen. At least I know now. Very disappointed with the result. To be honest, I kind of saw it coming. But I chose to remain positive instead despite the fact that history is not on the Flames' side. I wish they were like the Jets but instead they played like every Flames playoff team iced after 89, save for 04 and 15.

IMO this has to be the most disappointing Flames playoff run ever. At least the 90's teams and 06 NW Division Champions tried, going all the way to game 7s only to lose all of 'em. Yeah they choked but at least they put up a good fight.

Only bright spot was Mike Smith suddenly became the Smith before his injury in 17-18. I knew he would do damage in the playoffs, but I only kept it to myself during the regular season because had I posted it during that timeframe, most of y'all will disagree with me. Those GIFs on Twitter of me disagreeing with tweets by Pat Steinberg telling us that Smith would start a certain regular season game? That was me pulling a reverse psychology and cheering for him. I love Rittich but I love Smitty too! The rest obviously looked clueless, overwhelmed, and inexperienced. Hoping for a better outcome next year but knowing this team, they'll find a way to disappoint me again.

Overall, I'm sadly disappointed but thanks for the outstanding regular season. That's a first one since I started cheering for the team in 2015. Hoping for more. And please, beast mode every playoffs, too, eh? Go Flames Go!

Last edited by TheRealPepman; 04-22-2019 at 11:41 AM.
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote