Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #21
jaydub74
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not alone.
I'm as big a hockey fan as they come, but I don't watch the games. I know that sounds pretty odd but there is no entertainment value there for me, maybe there will be but I don't have 3 hours to waste on poor efforts and losses.

I'll stick to listening to the fan960, twitter, reading posts online, and watching and reading the headlines.
jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaydub74 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #22
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm still a big Flames fan, but I have fallen asleep during games quite a few times this season.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wiggum_PI For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 10:13 PM   #23
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been around since '85. I've seen worse. Fully support the franchise both by attending games and watching all 82.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #24
FaFaFlamey
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You're not alone. I do get excited to watch games (on tv), but it's getting tougher and tougher. I honestly thought we would be a contender this year, and now I'm bewildered. It's been like this for years and years and I just don't see an end in sight. These guys spoke of a five year plan, and I think it just hasn't worked out. Unfortunately, I believe the owners need to clean out management and start over with a new group. I doubt it'll happen this year, but it's gonna happen at some point. I thought Bennett would be a star, I was hoping Jankowski would become something too (and he still might), but things look grim. I hope I'm wrong. I just don't think I can sit through another two, three, or four years of this. The Oilers looked like fools with their lotto picks and finishing last, but at least now they have lots of talent now. I don't really know what we have at this point. It's obviously way tougher than it looks to rebuild successfully. But one thing we do have is great fans who are patient.
FaFaFlamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #25
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My thoughts have always been that a team has to earn your support, through either success or an exciting product. To blindly follow a team through thick and thin, when they generally have zero care for you, is a waste of time and effort. Or worse yet supporting a team just because your from the city.

The Flames in my lifetime (86 birth) have been generally bad, average or below. With almost no consistent run of success. At this point I will only follow them if they are winning, or exciting.

As a viewer we have so many options for teams, sports and individual games that can be accessed. Why would I waste my precious time on a floundering team that constantly frustrates me. People wear the "loyalty" to the team as a badge of honor. Sorry you have to earn my time and money.

I will move on to the hot, exciting team, when they're run is over, on to the next one. This is typically called being a bandwagon fan

Guilty.

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #26
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keselke View Post
My thoughts have always been that a team has to earn your support, through either success or an exciting product. To blindly follow a team through thick and thin, when they generally have zero care for you, is a waste of time and effort. Or worse yet supporting a team just because your from the city.

The Flames in my lifetime (86 birth) have been generally bad, average or below. With almost no consistent run of success. At this point I will only follow them if they are winning, or exciting.

As a viewer we have so many options for teams, sports and individual games that can be accessed. Why would I waste my precious time on a floundering team that constantly frustrates me. People wear the "loyalty" to the team as a badge of honor. Sorry you have to earn my time and money.

I will move on to the hot, exciting team, when they're run is over, on to the next one. This is typically called being a bandwagon fan

Guilty.
A franchise does more then just win and lose games. It represents the city, does tonnes of charity work, employes locals etc. Being angry with the on ice results is one thing, but supporting them only when it suits a person is something I find distasteful personally.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ignite09 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #27
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me too. Was at the game, hated it. Other than some Johnny excitement, it was a poor product.

Watching Hartley's team lose was never this painful.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #28
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Full support from me win or lose.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:44 PM   #29
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Disappointed, yes! Frustrated with start? Absolutely! But I'll still take this team and its young players-both in Calgary AND in Stockton- over the years between 2010-2013- when the Flames had so few young prospects, and an aging team with little hope of accomplishing anything.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:45 PM   #30
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
A franchise does more then just win and lose games. It represents the city, does tonnes of charity work, employes locals etc. Being angry with the on ice results is one thing, but supporting them only when it suits a person is something I find distasteful personally.
The flames are a for profit business

every corporation donates, creates jobs, employs locals. Etc

We make choices where we spend our money and time, rationally in other sectors, based on a variety of factors. I treat hockey no different

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:49 PM   #31
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm invested, I love them. Much to the detriment of my emotional health and better judgement.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:00 PM   #32
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I was a STH from 1980 until the mid 90's. Hockey back then was so much fun to watch. You had the Oilers and all those great Battle's of Alberta or the battles with the Jets. Add to that the price of a ticket was a heck of a lot cheaper than it is today.

My passion for the Flames is still there but it's not on the same level as it was in the 80's. Less teams in the league and more games against your hated rivals made the game much more enjoyable to watch back then. Now the league is diluted with too many teams and too many games that lack the passion I witnessed back in the 80's.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:00 PM   #33
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the games were exciting, I'd watch. That 2014 team was a bottom feeder, but they were still fun to watch.

If it's on and I'm home, I'll watch. But I'm not going out of my way if this is the garbage theyre going to pull.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:01 PM   #34
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not alone. As I get older, I find myself less interested in sports in general. I still enjoy watching a good game, but if the game is boring, I will turn off the TV and find something else to do.
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:01 PM   #35
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been thinking about this topic recently -- not becoming a fair weather fan, but what it actually means to be a fan. In the moment, it's cheering for goals and wins, plays by Johnny Hockey, etc.

But in the long run? Aside from a handful of plays here and there, I don't really remember much from 2006 to 2014. On the other hand, the 2004 run and more recently the 2014/15 season/playoffs is where I have a lot of really good memories. Last year was okay (record notwithstanding), but this year will be pretty much forgotten unless they can really turn it around. Hard to get excited about the season thus far.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #36
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I became a fan during the Young Guns era. This is child's play.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #37
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wouldn't call me a fairweather fan, but my interest is certainly starting to wain. I don't find this years' games entertaining in the least, and have no excitement to go to the rink anymore or watch on tv. It's almost a chore to drag myself down to the Saddledome. pretty much already given up on this seaso. That's pretty bad.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 11-10-2016 at 11:18 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:15 PM   #38
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ya during the 14/15 run and last year all i used to do all day was read about the flames watch flames games and always be reading this forum and HF. But today when i looked at the score i ddnt really care. This years teams too boring and no effort.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:16 PM   #39
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
I became a fan during the Young Guns era. This is child's play.
Agreed.

There were some dark years during the Young Guns era. If the team went down 2 goals in the first period you knew the game was over because they weren't going to score 3.

A lot of nights the only reason to go to a game was to get nachos and hope Sandy McCarthy beat someone up.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #40
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum_PI View Post
I'm still a big Flames fan, but I have fallen asleep during games quite a few times this season.
We have definitely got more caught up with PVR programs on game nights.
Gulutzan's version of the Flames have not earned full attention from several fans.