Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #401
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Point is the last guy this team needs.

Flames don't have a scoring problem.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #402
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think hockey trades are a little less likely than trading for picks. This team needs cap space and a little restocking. If this team is going to make any sort of run next year I don’t see core players changing much. I think adding Hayes as a guy who does offensively what we hoped Janko would, and as a bonus can play with Johnny from time to time especially if Monahan is hurt or struggling makes sense.

I should add I think Monahan can be good on a line without Johnny too... he was pretty darn good his rookie season...
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #403
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
People penciling Hayes in as a top line center. Is he really a top line center? His numbers sure dont support the claim, but I never watch him play.
No, not really. But he's a good skater, is very big, and is a UFA so requires nothing but cap space to acquire. In my view, he'll create more space than Monahan for Gaudreau when games get tight.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #404
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Not sure the Hall trade makes sense.

What if we were able to get the Devils 2020 1st rounder, Brett Seney and Drew Stafford for Gaudreau instead? Add a little depth and get a 1st rounder? Might make more sense. Gives the devils some left wing depth in Hall and Gaudreau and we get Seney.
I don’t see any world in which Brett Seney a 23 year old 51 NHL games player in his draft +5 year (6th rounder 157 overall in 2015 draft) Drew Stafford an over the hill 10 to 15 point NHLer who averages 57 games a year over the last 3 years and a 2020 first rounder that is anything from being a top pick at this time for Johnny freakin Gaudreau is any better than the package I proposed for Hall.

New Jersey gets some ‘left wing depth’ adding a top 10 scorer in Gaudreau with Hall and we collect a future first rounder not even in this draft, middling depth which we actually need to subtract not add AND we get Seney?? Lol what??

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 04-21-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #405
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't watch much Nashville, so don't rip me apart here for asking a question, but how is Ryan Johnansen looking? Maybe a flip Monahan for him would shake the team up.

Just trying to think of hockey deal centres that could use a shake up for either team.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #406
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People penciling Hayes in as a top line center. Is he really a top line center? His numbers sure dont support the claim, but I never watch him play.
no, he's more like a 2nd line center...

but as people have noted, trading for a #1 costs a lot... Hayes at least gives you 2 2nd line centers adding further depth to the lineup.

i am sure of his skating however, so that would be something to look into...

Zucker would be great, but i heard that the deal blew up because there was a child custody issue and Zucker didn't want to leave the state as a result.

i would seriously look at targeting Kapanen or Johnsson from the leafs with offersheets... Kapanen would be the fastest skater on the flames immediately and Johnsson is a kid looking like he could be a star in the making.

otherwise the UFA market is always a bit slim... Skinner? Duchene? Eberle?
Brock Nelson and Colin Wilson are both guys i think raise their games in the playoffs so i'd look at them too.

going to be moves this summer though... some big ones i think
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #407
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Doubt Nashville does that. They have no cap problems and Johansen is a playmaker for Forsberg and Arvidsson. They are a team who would want Monahan for a less established young player with hope And a prayer upside and a pick.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #408
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I don't watch much Nashville, so don't rip me apart here for asking a question, but how is Ryan Johnansen looking? Maybe a flip Monahan for him would shake the team up.

Just trying to think of hockey deal centres that could use a shake up for either team.
I wouldn’t make that deal Jonhansen is very overrated imo. Not a big fan
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #409
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't like the idea of trading our first, even if it's to get rid of a contract anchor like Neal. The Flames are depleted in prospect assets on the forward side because of our willingness to get rid of early round draft picks for the past several years. Flames had no first round pick last year, and I think it would be a mistake to pass up on it back to back years, even if it's later in the round.

Unless you're bringing in a +80 point centre, that's south of the age 30 mark, and has at least a few years on their contract remaining - thus not a short term rental - it's not worth it to sacrifice the future for a short term fix that might not be solution. The Flames aren't in a position that they have to go all in now, otherwise the window is shut for the next few years. Even if Gaudreau and Monahan are moved, yes it would push them back a few years perhaps, but there's still pieces in place to grow with, and be a playoff bubble team in the meantime.

It takes just one pick to possibly pick a player that can be a core piece of your roster down the road, and the early the pick, the greater the chance. The Flames should be holding on to their picks, and collecting moreso than giving away. The organization needs to focus on building from within, rather than externally via trades and free agency.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #410
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's not a #1, but he's probably a better 5 on 5 partner for Gaudreau than Monahan. Monahan could still play on PP1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I wouldn’t make that deal Jonhansen is very overrated imo. Not a big fan
Agreed that Johansen is overrated. However, he does demonstrate the difficulty in acquiring a true #1C. Nashville gave up a stud, Norris-consideration D-man to try to get their #1C and they have a #2C instead.

So Poile has tried to address the issue with depth: Johansen - Turris - Bonino - Sissons. I think the Flames might have to do the same. Jankowski is a weak link. He's not fast or dynamic, and he looked awful in the playoffs - probably the Flames' worst forward (besides Neal). Hayes - Monahan - Backlund - Ryan would be a big improvement.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #411
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Point is the last guy this team needs.

Flames don't have a scoring problem.
Aren’t people in here stating Monahan is not a number 1 center?

Point is a two way number 1 center so he does fit a need. The only way the Flames could get him in my opinion is a 1 for 1 deal with Gaudreau. If he would agree to the Mark Stone contract I would be intrigued by that deal. It would be very similar to last years blockbuster where we traded the older more established player locked into a team friendly deal for a younger RFA with more years of team control but having to work out a long term deal.

I doubt the Flames make a blockbuster of that magnitude this summer
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #412
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hot take - Michael Frolik is awesome. We should keep him. I am being serious.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #413
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I like Frolik but he has 1 assist in his last 13 games in which his teams are 1-12.

His position and salary slot are easy for me to identify as needing an upgrade.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #414
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
For this reason I think the return is going to pleasantly surprise most of us.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #415
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We need to start giving Bennett top 6 minutes and its not even a debate at this point.

I would try
Gaudreau-Lindholm-Bennett

and you can still have Benny take draws on Lindholm's off side
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaydee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #416
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
We need to start giving Bennett top 6 minutes and its not even a debate at this point.

I would try

If Im the Flames I would have Bennett look at tape from 4 years ago. He showed flashes of skill that seem to have left his game. Work on getting some of that back to go with being physical and willing to go to the net and he should score 25 goals.

He absolutlely should be a top 6 player. All the elements are there...just figure out how to put it together. Him being a legit top 6 player will help the team a lot more than trying to be a good third liner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #417
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I would try

That’s not a bad suggestion
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #418
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would try

This would be ideal.
I'd like to see them give it a real chance for at least 10 games.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #419
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
no, he's more like a 2nd line center...

but as people have noted, trading for a #1 costs a lot... Hayes at least gives you 2 2nd line centers adding further depth to the lineup.

i am sure of his skating however, so that would be something to look into...

Zucker would be great, but i heard that the deal blew up because there was a child custody issue and Zucker didn't want to leave the state as a result.

i would seriously look at targeting Kapanen or Johnsson from the leafs with offersheets... Kapanen would be the fastest skater on the flames immediately and Johnsson is a kid looking like he could be a star in the making.

otherwise the UFA market is always a bit slim... Skinner? Duchene? Eberle?

Brock Nelson and Colin Wilson are both guys i think raise their games in the playoffs so i'd look at them too.

going to be moves this summer though... some big ones i think

Hayes playing with Johnny would likely score as much as Monny playing with Johnny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #420
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
For this reason I think the return is going to pleasantly surprise most of us.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets make a play to get him back.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote