Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2022, 08:11 AM   #701
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
He kills someone every week.
Oddly enough as the show progresses he becomes the most sensible and likeable character. It's a travesty what they do with the Beth character as in the beginning she's kind of interesting but they go all TWD on her and make her less likeable than the bad guys.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:40 AM   #702
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've watched 2 episodes of Reacher and its been really good.

Watched the first one and we really liked it. Sounds like this Reacher is more true to the books character (6’5” behemoth) than the Tom Cruise version.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:03 AM   #703
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

He looks like he has an ease on camera, too. We may finally have a worthy new action star on the way up the ranks. Now maybe some of the old guys can retire.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:09 PM   #704
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Alan Ritchson has been good in the first 2 episodes for sure. Better than in Titans, but probably better writing also..
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:35 AM   #705
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
He looks like he has an ease on camera, too. We may finally have a worthy new action star on the way up the ranks. Now maybe some of the old guys can retire.
You're trying to tell me Thad is the next big action hero?

Awesome!

I'm about to dive into the Reacher T.V series. But I have to admit I really really liked the Tom Cruise versions so my expectations are probably too high.

Good to read some positive reviews so far though.

Just.... Thad as Jack Reacher? I can't shake it.

Last edited by dammage79; 02-07-2022 at 02:38 AM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 07:47 PM   #706
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We started watching Reacher today - have seen a few positive reviews around the interwebs so we gave it a try.

Get to the scene in episode 1 where Roscoe & Finlay go to talk to Hubble and the daughter exclaims "Holy hell, Hubble looks like Skippy!" (Poiliviere)

Liking it so far.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:01 PM   #707
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

The new Rings of Power teaser trailer is expected to be shown at the Super Bowl.

Given the amount of money they are spending, I'd say we are about to see the largest marketing campaign ever get launched.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:49 PM   #708
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't have much to contribute here other than the fact that Too Old to Die Young is on Prime and it's one of the best shows I've seen. It'll really test your patience.

Last edited by Elkyiv; 02-09-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:59 PM   #709
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I watched Reacher and I found the main character so hard to watch, I realize the actor is playing him just like he is in the books but it's almost as though Reacher has autism. Before anyone gets upset I'm not saying I can't watch an autistic person in a show, it was such a one dimensional character, just wasn't for me.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:52 PM   #710
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The new Rings of Power teaser trailer is expected to be shown at the Super Bowl.

Given the amount of money they are spending, I'd say we are about to see the largest marketing campaign ever get launched.
The first teaser, The whole ring forging was filmed in real-time, not cgci. They cast the shows title in Real time too. So someone has a neat metal art piece along with a how it's made film to go with it.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:57 AM   #711
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
You're trying to tell me Thad is the next big action hero?

Awesome!

I'm about to dive into the Reacher T.V series. But I have to admit I really really liked the Tom Cruise versions so my expectations are probably too high.

Good to read some positive reviews so far though.

Just.... Thad as Jack Reacher? I can't shake it.
think how much you'll enjoy watching someone closer to the actual size of the character, instead of a shrimp.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:15 PM   #712
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
I watched Reacher and I found the main character so hard to watch, I realize the actor is playing him just like he is in the books but it's almost as though Reacher has autism. Before anyone gets upset I'm not saying I can't watch an autistic person in a show, it was such a one dimensional character, just wasn't for me.
I just finished this and thought this was a very enjoyable show. It’s played and written like the books but, imo, it has the feel of the 1st movie. I’ll be looking forward to the second season.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:59 PM   #713
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished Reacher. Really enjoyed it. Stayed fairly close to the book.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:00 AM   #714
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished Reacher. It was good all the way through.

I've decided since I can't shake the actors previous work I'm going to call the movies Jack Reacher and the T.V show, Thad Reacher.

Also if anyone isn't up to speed on Thad. It's Alan Richtons character from a Football Frat bro comedy series called Blue Mountain State.

Don't watch it if you don't want Reacher ruined for you.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:35 AM   #715
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Galadriel’s world is a raging sea. Far from the wise, ethereal elven queen that Cate Blanchett brought to Peter Jackson’s acclaimed films, the Galadriel played by Morfydd Clark in Amazon’s upcoming series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power is thousands of years younger, as angry and brash as she is clever, and certain that evil is looming closer than anyone realizes. By episode two, her warnings set her adrift, literally and figuratively, until she’s struggling for survival on a raft in the storm-swept Sundering Seas alongside a mortal castaway named Halbrand (Charlie Vickers), who is a new character introduced in the show. Galadriel is fighting for the future; Halbrand is running from the past. Their entwined destinies are just two of the stories woven together for a TV series that, if it works, could become a global phenomenon. If it falls short, it could become a cautionary tale for anyone who, to quote J.R.R. Tolkien, delves too greedily and too deep.

Amazon’s show, which debuts on Prime Video on September 2, is based not on a Tolkien novel per se but on the vast backstory he laid out in the appendices to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Five seasons will likely cost the studio well over $1 billion. That kind of budget might decimate most other studios, but Tolkien, like space travel, is a personal obsession for Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, who’s among the richest people in the world. This is a big-ticket business venture that will allow him to create the most expensive, elaborate TV series ever made. While Jackson is not connected to the project, his movies, as well as their spiritual successor Game of Thrones, proved that there’s a massive audience for immersive fantasy. Of course, many have tried to capture that same audience, and few have survived or thrived.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ies-first-look

Shows some new pictures as well.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:24 PM   #716
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

‘Blade Runner 2099’ Live-Action Sequel Series Set at Amazon with Ridley Scott Producing

Quote:
Scott is set to produce a new show in the “Blade Runner” universe for Amazon. “Blade Runner 2099” will be a sequel to “Blade Runner 2049,” set 50 years after Denis Villeneuve’s 2017 film. Silka Luisa is writing and producing the show, and sources tell Deadline that Ridley Scott may also end up directing the project.
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/02/bl...tt-1234698702/
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2022, 05:36 PM   #717
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoever recommended Vox Machina? Solid. Solid rec.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 08:10 PM   #718
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Eh, Vox Machina not bad after the first few episodes but still waiting for it to really grab me.

Also

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 01:10 PM   #719
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Finished Reacher. It was good all the way through.

I've decided since I can't shake the actors previous work I'm going to call the movies Jack Reacher and the T.V show, Thad Reacher.

Also if anyone isn't up to speed on Thad. It's Alan Richtons character from a Football Frat bro comedy series called Blue Mountain State.

Don't watch it if you don't want Reacher ruined for you.
We just started watching Reacher. My wife and I are fans of the books, and it really is the Reacher character more than the situation he is in that makes the books so appealing. This is why the Tom Cruise films were such a flop for us - just dumb action.

Reacher is very cerebral, and his inner monologue as he observes and assesses a situation are central to his character. One of the common tropes in the Reacher books is the phrase "Reacher said nothing".

The opening 5 minutes of the first episode highlights this perfectly. He doesn't say a word the whole time, but so much of his character is revealed: He is a loner/wanderer. He hates injustice, especially against women. He knows his size is an advantage, and he won't back down. He assesses that in a small town diner with two chatty women, two teens, and him, the police cars arriving at the diner must be coming for him. He understands how police wors - he puts his hands in full view and waits patiently to be arrested. He knows when arrested that saying nothing is the best policy.

Overall, after two episodes, we are very excited that the series is staying true to the Reacher of the books. Looking forward to more.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #720
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm on episode 6 of Reacher and enjoyed every episode so far. Vox Machina is a solid watch as well.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote