Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #421
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There going to be any more presale on the PS5 or XB before launch? I didn't snag any first time around. That said in this current economy I kind of feel in a few weeks after launch they may be available. I hope at least.
Bestbuy has an email signup to get notified when the console you want is going to be available for pre-order again.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #422
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Bestbuy has an email signup to get notified when the console you want is going to be available for pre-order again.
Yeah I signed up but it's been crickets. No big deal I guess but it would have been nice to get one of them for launch.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #423
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I signed up but it's been crickets. No big deal I guess but it would have been nice to get one of them for launch.
For sure, PS5 were snatched up fast as expected. I wasn't expecting the Xbox pre-orders to sell out as fast as they did though. I got lucky an grabbed one from BestBuy when for whatever reason they didn't release their pre-order stock to the public until well after an hour of the expected time.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #424
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

How much do you guys see PS4s and Xbox Ones being devalued? I don't think I've turned any machine on in a while and think it may be the last moments to get a bit of value
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #425
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I have a pre-order for a PS5 and extra controller. I've spent a ton on PC upgrades this month (with a $1000 GPU coming eventually) so I don't think I need to spend another $700. I can set you up with my pre-order if you want to PM me.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #426
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
How much do you guys see PS4s and Xbox Ones being devalued? I don't think I've turned any machine on in a while and think it may be the last moments to get a bit of value
I would sell now...both systems play nearly all last gen games

value will drop big time
Old 10-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #427
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I have a pre-order for a PS5 and extra controller. I've spent a ton on PC upgrades this month (with a $1000 GPU coming eventually) so I don't think I need to spend another $700. I can set you up with my pre-order if you want to PM me.
Pretty solid offer and good for you for not trying to scalp it
Old 10-13-2020, 04:42 PM   #428
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I would sell now...both systems play nearly all last gen games

value will drop big time
The Xbox Series X plays previous gen games with way better framerates too. I should sell my One X too.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #429
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sony publishes a look at the PS5 UI experience
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:36 AM   #430
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone else has a pre-order they change their minds on feel free to let me know...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:46 AM   #431
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seeing several posts online now that contradict the earlier reports of Series X having a heat issue. Some tests seem to indicate that it often produces less heat than even the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, both in average and peak temperature.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #432
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Seeing several posts online now that contradict the earlier reports of Series X having a heat issue. Some tests seem to indicate that it often produces less heat than even the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, both in average and peak temperature.
Yep, after Microsoft lifted the full embargo on what people can say and show from the preview version of the Series X, they are all reporting now that it runs whisper quiet and at a lower temp* than the One X. As for the streamer that "appears to burn is hand on the expandable SSD" He even admitted it was more of a surprise than a burn AND to point out....he grabbed the heat sink on the card, which should be pretty warm and not the plastic end meant for handling.

There is even an unsubstantiated report out of Italy that the Series X runs cooler than the PS5.

* These temperatures were measured from the exhaust ports.

Edit: In depth look at the heat of the series X

Last edited by Since1984; 10-16-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #433
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the "of course big Bethesda game will still be multiplatform!" believers...

Quote:
“Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.

Then he paused.

“I don’t want to be flip about that,” he added. “This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: ‘How do we keep other players from playing these games?’ We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I’ll also say in the model—I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us."
https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-phil-sp...mpression=true
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #434
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ps4 was impossible to clean and often sounds like a jet engine when I play. I'm surprised it's lasted this long tbh.

Hopefully the ps5 runs quieter and is easier to clean out the dust.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #435
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The ps4 was impossible to clean and often sounds like a jet engine when I play. I'm surprised it's lasted this long tbh.

Hopefully the ps5 runs quieter and is easier to clean out the dust.
If you watch the PS5 teardown here:

You can see they have added "dust collectors" under the removable sides to be used to "vacuum out" some of the dust. Which is interesting as static electricity can be generated from this technique and could cause damage to internal components
Old 10-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #436
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I woke up at 2:45 this morning to try and do the PS5 pre order at Superstore. No luck for me after wasting 45 minutes. Sounds like some people were successful but then woke up to cancellation emails this morning.

This pre-order situation has been brutal. I hope I can snag a PS5 before Christmas as I am going to have some vacation to burn.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #437
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so glad I got an early Best Buy PS5 ordered. Still has November 12 as my delivery date
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #438
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a few extra pre-orders:

1x Xbox Series X
1x Xbox Series S

Happy to sell them at face value to anyone who missed out (Calgary). Best Buy says they will arrive as early as Nov 10. I am out of town on the 13th - 15th, so if they arrive on those days then I wont be able to get them to a buyer until the 16th - not sure how delivery will work, so just an FYI.

Anyway, PM me if you're interested in either.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #439
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the "Series S is the same just 1440p not 4k and games will be the same on my 1080p tv" crowd there are already "next gen" games that play at 900p on the Series S. I would say if you want a real upgrade go with the X.

Don't shoot the messenger
Old 10-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #440
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
For the "Series S is the same just 1440p not 4k and games will be the same on my 1080p tv" crowd there are already "next gen" games that play at 900p on the Series S. I would say if you want a real upgrade go with the X.

Don't shoot the messenger
So far there is one game to run 900p@60fps and that is Yakuza like a dragon oddly enough. Players can choose to play the original 1440p @ 30fps on series S.

Not great performance for sure but it could be related to how that game is developed/optimized. But concerning nonetheless for early series S adopters.