Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #501
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very misleading, take the Steelers for example; since they drafted Ben 11th in 2004, they've drafted 3 O playmakers guys - TE Heath Miller, WR Santonio Holmes, RB Rashard Mendenhall in the first round. 2 Superbowls for him.

The Pats have taken exactly 3 O playmakers guys in since they got Brady - TE Daniel Graham, RB Laurence Maroney and WR N'Keal Harry in the first round. Multiple SB wins.

Rodgers is as overrated as they come, he's had good weapons. If he wants to blame anyone blame himself and Packers poor later round drafting.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #502
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Details of Jameis Winston's 1 year contract just came out. Max of $4.7M, base of just $1.1M. 30 picks or not, if you can sign last year's passing yards leader for only $1.1M, that's insane.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #503
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dumb graphic. For most of his career he has had the weapons it's only recently the Packers have fallen short. Packers have done an excellent job with 2nd round WRs and later TEs so why is a 1st round pick the benchmark? Where your drafted isn't that important. Think you point to the defense if you want to talk about not helping Rodgers will Super Bowls.

Think the whole thing is overblown anyway. Bad luck and Rodgers himself have as much to do with not making more SBs than the Packers putting talent around him.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #504
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Very misleading, take the Steelers for example; since they drafted Ben 11th in 2004, they've drafted 3 O playmakers guys - TE Heath Miller, WR Santonio Holmes, RB Rashard Mendenhall in the first round. 2 Superbowls for him.

The Pats have taken exactly 3 O playmakers guys in since they got Brady - TE Daniel Graham, RB Laurence Maroney and WR N'Keal Harry in the first round. Multiple SB wins.

Rodgers is as overrated as they come, he's had good weapons. If he wants to blame anyone blame himself and Packers poor later round drafting.
Right.

He should be the guy on defense stopping the run.

What a strange take.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:32 PM   #505
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at Rivers with only 35. You think of all the fantastic TE's and WR's he's had over the years to work with so it is a little misleading as that team has found quality talent in later rounds or undrafted free agents. However Rogers having only the one is a little ridiculous though. He's had some good WR's over the years but most of them never played as well on other teams so you have to wonder how much of their success was due to Rogers throwing pinpoint lasers and hanging in the pocket for them to get open. I do think this draft was the perfect time for the Packers to pick a quality WR in the first few rounds as I would say their current WR group is pretty mediocre as there's a pretty big drop off from Adams to Lazard and Scantling.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #506
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Right, hell the Pats rarely draft in the 1st round and when they did it was usually on DF or the the O Line..
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #507
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Heath Miller had a rock-solid 11 year career and Santonio Holmes was a Super Bowl MVP. Mendenhall had 3 good years in Pittsburgh and, if not for his fumble in the Super Bowl against the Packers, they might have won another ring. It's not like those guys didn't help ...

saying "Rodgers never had any weapons" would be dumb of course, wasn't my intention either, just to be clear. He's had plenty of good receivers, I just found the stat interesting. Never getting help in the 1st round only to then see a QB taken in the 1st round when you're still going strong, that's got to sting.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #508
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty stoked the chargers got KJ Hill with their 7th rounder. What a deep receiver class, usually a player with that talent wouldn’t get past the 4th. Leading all time reception leader for Ohio State and he’s available in the 7th. Highlights remind me of a shorter Keenan Allen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #509
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
Dumb graphic. For most of his career he has had the weapons it's only recently the Packers have fallen short. Packers have done an excellent job with 2nd round WRs and later TEs so why is a 1st round pick the benchmark? Where your drafted isn't that important. Think you point to the defense if you want to talk about not helping Rodgers will Super Bowls.

Think the whole thing is overblown anyway. Bad luck and Rodgers himself have as much to do with not making more SBs than the Packers putting talent around him.
that Dom Capers defense for most of those years was crap, they could never get off the field and they were gashed many games
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #510
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
that Dom Capers defense for most of those years was crap, they could never get off the field and they were gashed many games
Yup. I believe in 7 of Rodgers playoffs losses his D has given up 30 pts or more. Contrast that to Brady who I think only twice in his entire career has his defense given up 30 plus in a playoff game.

Their performance, and being stubborn about not being active in free agency, on defense led to pretty D heavy drafts from 2014-2018 which is why they weren't drafts many WRs high. That part is fair to put on them, but it's pretty recent.

Last edited by cross16; 04-29-2020 at 04:46 PM.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #511
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Details of Jameis Winston's 1 year contract just came out. Max of $4.7M, base of just $1.1M. 30 picks or not, if you can sign last year's passing yards leader for only $1.1M, that's insane.
Plus he already has great experience throwing to Saints jerseys!
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 06:44 PM   #512
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
Yup. I believe in 7 of Rodgers playoffs losses his D has given up 30 pts or more. Contrast that to Brady who I think only twice in his entire career has his defense given up 30 plus in a playoff game.

Their performance, and being stubborn about not being active in free agency, on defense led to pretty D heavy drafts from 2014-2018 which is why they weren't drafts many WRs high. That part is fair to put on them, but it's pretty recent.
Ted Thompson was a decent GM but his insistence on not signing free agents often held that team back. they should have been busy with free agency every year with Rodgers, not the top guys necessarily as they always were often overpaid big but tier 2 FA's.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #513
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ing-joe-burrow

Bengals releasing Dalton. Rumours were teams like the Pats and Bears inquired before free agency and the asking price was a 2nd round pick which teams considered too steep. Seems like a bit of mismanagement not getting anything for him. A 3rd, 4th or even 5th round pick is better than nothing as you can still get quality players in those rounds.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:57 AM   #514
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Ted Thompson was a decent GM but his insistence on not signing free agents often held that team back. they should have been busy with free agency every year with Rodgers, not the top guys necessarily as they always were often overpaid big but tier 2 FA's.
Yeah I get that they ran things a certain way but rather than trying to go all-in on Super Bowls they opted to operate in a very conservative manner resulting in annual competitive regular season teams that lacked that small handful of quality players required to overcome the elite teams in the playoffs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #515
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Just saw this onTwitter and had a laugh
Spoiler!

Last edited by Sainters7; 05-01-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #516
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Just saw this on Saints Twitter and had a laugh
Spoiler!
Really? They put that out there about a new addition to the team? Haha, that is merciless! I definitely think it's funny, but to get shredded by your own team that just picked you up... Man, I just gotta think that would rub some people the wrong way.

Imagine, a Calgary Flames tweet after acquiring Milan Lucic of just a drawing of him with cinder blocks for skates and bill peters standing behind the bench with a whip.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #517
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah i should've been more clear, by Saints Twitter, I meant people I follow that are Saints-talk related. I probably could have worded that differently. It certainly wasn't the Saints official handle that tweeted that out hahaha... I'm gonna edit my post.

But as for just the fans, yeah he was one of the most hated division rivals we had. Had physical altercations with Marshon Lattimore and Cam Jordan before. But he's being welcomed with open arms..albeit some friendly ribbing.

Last edited by Sainters7; 05-01-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #518
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
They can use him to improve the catching skills of their DB's.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #519
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1256340965624668161
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:25 PM   #520
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

That Davis WR in Tennessee and Garret Bolles in Denver both had their fifth year options declined as well.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote