Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2022, 07:59 AM   #1801
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use baking powder and agree with the above. Need to smoke them high to crisp the skin
Old 02-14-2022, 02:48 PM   #1802
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I did some great wings this weekend, but in an oven. The principles should be the same. A couple hours of low and slow to melt the fat inside, and then you have to crank the heat for a little bit 10-30 minutes, depending on the wings, to crisp up the skin.

They were marinated the day before, with chicken dry rub, siracha, and soy sauce. Tossed in buffalo sauce after cooking.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:02 PM   #1803
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

yeah, I finish my wings at 350 on my smoker to crisp the skin up.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:06 PM   #1804
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baking powder is news to me - but like others I smoked some wings yesterday with great results. Low (200 or lower) for 30-45 mins to get the smoke and render fat, then crank temp for 15 minutes to get em crisp and crunchy
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:42 PM   #1805
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
ok folks - so tell me a where i wnet wrong as yesterday i smoked some chicken wings. i caoted teh wings in baking powder, and while the inside of the wing was nice (i brined 'em for about 36hrs), the skin was rubbery........
Baking powder on wings is news to me. Corn starch and flour make more sense to me.

However, I know that for roasted pig, baking powder is occasionally used for part of the crisp skin.

Additionally, if the skin is rubbery, I assume that the same rules as rubbery skin on Turkey apply? (ie: Gotta give it a solid broil/hit of high heat to make it crisp).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 02:17 PM   #1806
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ I saw a youtube with Kenji Lopez-Alt doing wings and he used baking soda (maybe powder?) on the wings, he said it causes the skin to 'blister' slightly which creates tiny air bubbles and that helps the skin to be crisp up better when cooking.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:02 PM   #1807
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any thoughts on the Traeger Timberline series? Finally out of a condo and into a place I can actually have a grill. Would be using it for smoking and some light grilling.
jar_e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:06 PM   #1808
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Any thoughts on the Traeger Timberline series? Finally out of a condo and into a place I can actually have a grill. Would be using it for smoking and some light grilling.
spend the money on a green mountain grill pellet smoker. Traegar's don't compare at relative price points.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #1809
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
^ I saw a youtube with Kenji Lopez-Alt doing wings and he used baking soda (maybe powder?) on the wings, he said it causes the skin to 'blister' slightly which creates tiny air bubbles and that helps the skin to be crisp up better when cooking.
Do not use baking soda. I made that mistake. Baking powder works and it does results in crisper skin in my experience.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:26 PM   #1810
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh hohoho hohoho ho hohohohohohoho

Top 10 pork butt I've ever made, the colour came out incredible. The taste was awesome, the only thing I could have done better was make an insignia carved into the bark

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 03-13-2022 at 10:31 PM.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2022, 09:07 AM   #1811
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the heck is going on under your racks?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:09 AM   #1812
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Oh hohoho hohoho ho hohohohohohoho

Top 10 pork butt I've ever made, the colour came out incredible. The taste was awesome, the only thing I could have done better was make an insignia carved into the bark
I imagine Achmed going, "Silence! I grill you!"
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #1813
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What the heck is going on under your racks?
The fresh stuff is rendered fat, the rest is me being lazy over winter and not cleaning it out :P
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:35 AM   #1814
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Prepping a brisket to smoke. Will put it on the smoker tonight around midnight.

Wish it wasn’t so windy…
Old 04-09-2022, 11:44 AM   #1815
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the kamado joes or compatible grills are at Costco are they a much better deal than BBQ Galore? Also do the smaller ones start up faster? We’re just a family of 4, not a lot of regular entertaining, so it would be maybe one whole chicken, or 4-8 burgers, or 4 steaks, typical use case. Otherwise just random attempts to smoke different meats.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #1816
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I did a couple spatchcock Chickens on the Traeger last weekend. Used this as the rub, and holy crap it was delicious.

https://www.amazon.ca/Smoky-Tennesse...s%2C130&sr=8-1

Can't wait to do it again.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:08 PM   #1817
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I decided to keep the excess fat I trimmed from he brisket. I have a small elk road that a friend gave me. I am going to wrap it in the fat and smoke it as well.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Any tips? It is my first try at smoking elk.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:17 PM   #1818
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
When the kamado joes or compatible grills are at Costco are they a much better deal than BBQ Galore? Also do the smaller ones start up faster? We’re just a family of 4, not a lot of regular entertaining, so it would be maybe one whole chicken, or 4-8 burgers, or 4 steaks, typical use case. Otherwise just random attempts to smoke different meats.
I don’t know anything about those grills. I have a traeger pellet grill which I like a lot. My friend has a Bradley smoker that takes pucks and electric heat. I would definitely recommend either of those. The Bradley is so good for beef jerky or smoking salmon and things like that because of the multiple racks. You end up with lots of grill space. And just add quantity of pucks for whatever level of smoke you want. He is able to smoke a whole chicken, or sausage or anything like that. And he has a bbq that he uses for steaks.

Bradley smoker might be a good unit to try. East to use, just plug it it. Not as expensive as traeger or kamado

Last edited by Doctorfever; 04-09-2022 at 12:21 PM.
Doctorfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doctorfever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2022, 01:09 PM   #1819
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I have found it a bit hit and miss with Costco and they don’t always seem to have the Kamado style each year. I seem to recall you’ll save a couple hundred bucks for a lesser known brand, but obviously less selection for size, etc. And of course, Costco has a great return policy on everything.

I have a large big green egg after humming and hawing about an XL. There have been a few times that having an XL would have been nice, but I have done big turkeys and briskets without an issue. I wouldn’t recommend going any smaller though, I think you’ll find once you start smoking you’ll fall in love and start to do more and more meats. We like to do up the three whole chicken packs the pork tenderloin packs from Costco and put some in the freezer for easy chicken soup or pulled pork.

The treager style units are definitely more user friendly for lighting and keeping the right temperature, but I do love the big green egg.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2022, 02:28 PM   #1820
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I need a new grill. I've used a natural gas grill for the past 20 years. I'm considering going to a green mountain pellet grill. It's the same price as the gas grill I would buy if I go that route. Napolean prestige model. My wife is concerned about heat up time and time to cook. We are pretty busy and she likes to just get the food done. Does cooking take a lot longer with a pellet grill?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber