Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #41
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's a good 4th line player but he's extremely poor value for the cap space he takes up. Not saying he will or should but him retiring at the end of the season would be a game changer for the Flames as they then could actually pursue a guy like Hall in free agency as they would have three seasons of found money.
He didn’t say anything about value. Of course he’s one of the worst value players in the league, there is no debating that.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #42
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

There is very little that Lucic provides that could not be easily replaced. It's not just that he's a poor value contract wise. He just doesn't bring anything that his loss would concern us over.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #43
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
There is very little that Lucic provides that could not be easily replaced. It's not just that he's a poor value contract wise. He just doesn't bring anything that his loss would concern us over.
I think that is selling him a bit short. He brings experience, and a heavy game that I can't remember the last time we had a player play, chipping in offensively while being the toughest guy on the ice.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #44
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have liked Lucic for a few games lately, but it'll be hard to shake how absolutely useless he is against the Oilers. Good 3rd/4th liner, but if the Flames were able to land a hard-nosed big winger with that extra cash this team is looking quite a bit better

That was supposed to be Neal, so round #2 with that cash is pretty exciting. Will appreciate the good games while he's here, but if he decides that this season is his last the team has a good shot of reloading. An interesting development I didn't think was an option... thanks OP!
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:44 AM   #45
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I think that is selling him a bit short. He brings experience, and a heavy game that I can't remember the last time we had a player play, chipping in offensively while being the toughest guy on the ice.
Garnet Hathaway. Before that Micheal Ferland. There will be someone else after Lucic leaves.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Garnet Hathaway. Before that Micheal Ferland. There will be someone else after Lucic leaves.
Both players considerably better than Lucic is at this stage of his career. Those two also didn't shut things down everytime they faced the team's biggest rival.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #47
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just an fyi, we need James Neal to score two more goals to get to 21 and have Lucic score 10 fewer goals than Neal's number to get the 2020 third round pick in the trade, we are on track for it right now with Lucic having 6 goals.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucic had a good game last night. Several heavy hits, good energy. Seems like he’s a little like Ryan in that players seem to do well on his line.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #49
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Both players considerably better than Lucic is at this stage of his career. Those two also didn't shut things down everytime they faced the team's biggest rival.
I love Ferly but he never showed up against Lucic and the Oilers. There is good reason of course. The guy knew he had serious concussion issues and poking the bears in Lucic and Kassian would likely resulted in another concussion for him.

I hate Lucic’s response against the Oilers too but he does speak the truth when he says that when’s out there, the opposition is very quiet. Just last night, a scrum started in front of Talbot and Max Jones was ready to fight with his gloves off and being very aggressive, that is until he finally got his head up and saw who had him in him in the headlock he was in. He quickly mellowed out when he realized it was Lucic.

If the Flames make the playoffs, they will play the Oilers, it feels like destiny. Lucic will either go down as Flames fans most hated Flame or most favourite depending on what he does in that series.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:50 AM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I love Ferly but he never showed up against Lucic and the Oilers. There is good reason of course. The guy knew he had serious concussion issues and poking the bears in Lucic and Kassian would likely resulted in another concussion for him.

I hate Lucic’s response against the Oilers too but he does speak the truth when he says that when’s out there, the opposition is very quiet. Just last night, a scrum started in front of Talbot and Max Jones was ready to fight with his gloves off and being very aggressive, that is until he finally got his head up and saw who had him in him in the headlock he was in. He quickly mellowed out when he realized it was Lucic.

If the Flames make the playoffs, they will play the Oilers, it feels like destiny. Lucic will either go down as Flames fans most hated Flame or most favourite depending on what he does in that series.
Lots of times I see Lucic hit someone, they get up mad, and then see who it is. You can almost hear their thought; “oh”. It’s kinda funny.

He hasn’t brought it every single night, true. But I have too imagine tough guy is harder role than scorer to get motivated for night after night. If scorers get motivated, they get to skate around, shoot and score. If tough guys get motivated they get to be punched in the face.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 09:46 AM   #51
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPepman View Post
The best part of that interview occurs right at the beginning when Scott Oake asks seven-year-old Valentina Lucic if she knows her dad's number, and her initial response is stunned silence at this buffoon's patronizing condescension, before then muttering under her breath, "seventeen?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-18-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #52
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The best part of that interview occurs right at the beginning when Scott Oake asks five-year-old Valentina Lucic if she knows her dad's number, and her initial response is stunned silence at this buffoon's patronizing condescension, before then muttering under her breath, "seventeen?"
Way to demonstrate some astute powers of observation, and appreciation of buffoonery, patronization and condescension

I will just start by saying that he asks her how old she is and she shyly says 7, and I will leave it at that
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #53
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was a great interview. Gave props to Ward, Gio, and Monahan for keeping his spirits up.

Sure, one can argue he's making too much money, but I don't care. He's literally one of 3 or 4 guys in the entire league who brings what he brings. As Burke would say, that's being a nuclear deterrent. I am old, so I feel that's really important. On top of that, I enjoy his game and effort about 10x more than Neal's. I guess that makes Lucic underpaid
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #54
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess there is a reason Monahan has been the permanent "A" since his 2nd year.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #55
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
He's literally one of 3 or 4 guys in the entire league who brings what he brings. As Burke would say, that's being a nuclear deterrent. I am old, so I feel that's really important.
I am not sure this is effective or important anymore.

For example, his involvement in the Oiler loss fiasco.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #56
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Really? Have you not watched this team get pushed around for the last few years? I'm not saying the contract sucks or that he's played great up to this point, but his mere presence I feel has been noticeable with how the stars on the team have been treated.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #57
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
It would be amazing for the Flames if Lucic retired.

I am racking my brain to think of an NHL player that retired with a substantial amount of dollars still left on their contract though.
Amazing on the cap situation perhaps, but IMO, if a coach literally pushed a player to the point to leave that much money on the table, I don't think that's an easy off ice distraction to come back from. It might help short term, but it would be a long term black mark on the org and that cap space could very quickly evaporate for players refusing to back down on negotiations due to the circumstances of Lucic's retiring.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #58
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

A recent 31 thoughts podcast has a good discussion on why other guys don't think "it's worth it" to fight Lucic anymore (a big reason being that they are no longer taking one of the opponent's best players off the ice, like used to be the case with Lucic)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:51 PM   #59
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
A recent 31 thoughts podcast has a good discussion on why other guys don't think "it's worth it" to fight Lucic anymore (a big reason being that they are no longer taking one of the opponent's best players off the ice, like used to be the case with Lucic)
This makes no sense.

How many "heavy weights" in the history of the league have been one of the best players on the ice.

The whole concept of a nuclear deterrent in the NHL makes no sense.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #60
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This makes no sense.

How many "heavy weights" in the history of the league have been one of the best players on the ice.

The whole concept of a nuclear deterrent in the NHL makes no sense.
Plenty

Iginla
Neely
Howe
Shanahan
Lucic
Lindros
Tocchet
Tkachuk
Wendel Clark
etc

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote