Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #241
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Geoff Ward on with the 960 guys and hinted that both Gio and Hamonic are multiple weeks away from returning.

No chance you see a dman traded at this point if that is the case.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #242
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Hamonic is coming back anytime soon.

Paraphrasing here but Ward was on the Fan 960 and said:

"Last time Giordano got this injury it took him 6 weeks to come back, and it's been two weeks, Hamonic is even longer. The pain for him is just starting to go away..."

So that puts Gio at Mid-March, and Hamonic closer to the end of the season if we assume he's a week or two longer.

I don't think we are trading a d-man. Not sure they could at this point to be honest.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:33 AM   #243
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sigh.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:33 AM   #244
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Geoff Ward on with the 960 guys and hinted that both Gio and Hamonic are multiple weeks away from returning.

So pushing close ish to end of regular season.
Flames have nothing to sell then, and no reason to buy.
So a hockey trade, or none at all.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #245
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, flames are likely to do close to nothing by the deadline. I think that is unfortunately the right move.

Moving a dman was the card they had to play, but with ward basically stating gio and hamonic out for at least a month, based on that interview, they don't have the assets to play with.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #246
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Well that means Hamonic is totally untradeable, even if you wanted to deal him.

And I was kind of hoping Brodie would be able to be signed to an agreeable deal.

This deadline shaping up to be similar to prior years it seems.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #247
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With that news coming out now, Flames probably go after a depth defenceman for a late round pick.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #248
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well that means Hamonic is totally untradeable, even if you wanted to deal him.

And I was kind of hoping Brodie would be able to be signed to an agreeable deal.

This deadline shaping up to be similar to prior years it seems.
I'm fine with that. Getting both of them back before the playoffs would be a big boost in itself. I would have preferred the team moving one of Hamonic or Brodie for some much needed draft picks/young prospects but that doesn't appear to be in the cards due to the last season injuries. Not much you can do but it would sting to lose both in the offseason for no return especially if the Flames miss the playoffs or get eliminated quickly in the 1st round like last season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #249
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
With that news coming out now, Flames probably go after a depth defenceman for a late round pick.
Or bid on Bogosian if he hits UFA status.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #250
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I would be fine with throwing a tryout contract to bogosian. Can't be worse than yelesin.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #251
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good trade for both teams, no one here has seen Madden play, but from all accounts he has been a pretty good performer who has the tools to become a good second/third line NHL player. The problem is that the Canucks are already pretty deep in good young NHL centers (Pettersson [20], Horvat [24], Gaudette [23]) and it is hard to see how he displaces any of them in the near future. That being said, if he continues to develop it will look like a great trade for the Kings.

As for Tiffoli, he is obviously a good player and should be a solid rental piece who can help the Canucks get into the playoffs. I don't think that the team is going to be a contender this year, but putting a couple assets into the mix in order to get to the dance after only having made it once in the past 6 years is a good idea.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:06 AM   #252
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should have moved Hamonic earlier. Now they get nothing for two expiring contracts.

I guess we should be happy with the pick he got for Frolik.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #253
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Should have moved Hamonic earlier. Now they get nothing for two expiring contracts.

Woulda coulda shoulda
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #254
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we are going to rent a player, I'd just as soon it not be a #7 defenseman. Seems like a waste of a draft pick.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #255
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Hah, and there it is!

Pretty clearly a panic move to try to stay in the playoff race without Boeser in the lineup - Benning knows he's fired if they miss the playoffs so he's mortgaging the future to try to keep his job. Utterly transparent.
Risky.

The Canucks are close to the division lead - but they are also only 4 points up on 9th, and giving up a game in hand.

It wouldn’t take much of a losing streak to potentially fall out of a playoff spot - and now they are without their 1st and 2nd rounders.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #256
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Risky.

The Canucks are close to the division lead - but they are also only 4 points up on 9th, and giving up a game in hand.

It wouldn’t take much of a losing streak to potentially fall out of a playoff spot - and now they are without their 1st and 2nd rounders.
It could definitely blow up in their face especially if their goaltending play drops off even a little bit. I really don't see any other team in the race that is getting by largely on goaltending like they are.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #257
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Blessing in disguise not getting Taffoli. He is a a whole lot of what we already have, fleet of foot with an above average shot, needs others to create for him.

Focus should be on speed to create space for others. Athanasiou would be a great add.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:57 AM   #258
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

While Madden is not an insignificant piece, I do think this is a solid deal for Van. 2nd is solid currency in the NHL as well. Schaller is definitely no more than a placeholder, and never looked like an NHL'er to me - at least not someone that should be in the line-up most nights.

I actually think that Toffoli is really going to do well now that he isn't in LA. He has consistently been a productive player on a non-offensive team. He always strikes me as the type of player that has a bit of an impact on most games. I was really hoping that the Flames nab him. I bet he has a few 30+ goal seasons. I also don't think this is your typical rental - I expect an extension to be announced shortly. LA was apparently offering less money than his current deal. I think he can be a really good value signing. I think Vancouver did really well in this trade.

As for Calgary, I don't want any rentals at all. IMO, you add a rental when you think you have a cup contender and just want to make sure you give your team the best chance to go through 4 rounds of the war of attrition that is the playoffs. Calgary is not that this year. You don't add rentals with the hopes of making the playoffs. That's how bubble teams stay as bubble teams until they finally regress.

I wonder who the Flames end up making a move for. Will be interesting. Though scoring is up recently, scoring has been an issue for them for most of the season. Hurt defencemen... Either way, I just hope that the Flames retain and re-sign Brodie, and find a way to sell on Hamonic, though it looks like that ship might have sailed. Guess we will know shortly.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #259
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zucker Kadri Toffoli would be a dominant line.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:24 PM   #260
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

They were never moving Hamonic earlier while we were in a playoff race and could still win the division! That was always crazy talk. Can’t believe how many fans wanted to sell or thought we would sell while we were right in the race for the division lead and still are.

Give your heads a shake people. Wake up and look at the standings. Dumping Hamonic/Brodie without getting a top 4 dmen back some other way was NEVER happening. Just a total misread of the situation by some of you.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: