Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2024, 03:55 PM   #21
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Reality:

1. Seattle wins the #1 pick lottery.
2. Buffalo wins the #2 pick lottery.
3. Flames are bumped down to 10th.
4. Montreal takes Iginla at #9.
5. Flames take defenceman Z. Buium.
6. Buium plays out his 4 years of NCAA eligibility and Flames are forced to include him in a trade with Carolina for an aging forward.
7. Flames add some post apex vets in a push to get back into the playoff picture.
8. Flames squeak into 8th spot in 2027 and beat Vancouver in the first round.
9. Flames get swept handily in the second round by the Celebrini led Ducks.
10. Flames wallow in mediocrity for the next decade, often drafting 16th, when they haven't traded it for those post apex vets.
11. Edmonton is still No Good.
12. Iginla has a stellar career.
Imagine being a fan of a team with this constant negative bs. Just weird.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:11 PM   #22
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been thinking about a way to get Tij in addition to winning the lottery and getting Celebrini and Ottawa is the team I keep coming back to but think Weegar as the piece instead of Anderson considering he has the long term deal and is a hometown guy for Ottawa.

What about Weegar+Van pick for Chabot+Ottawa 1st?

Chabot is a huge overpay in terms of making $8M per so do the flames need to even add the Van pick?
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:41 PM   #23
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I have been thinking about a way to get Tij in addition to winning the lottery and getting Celebrini and Ottawa is the team I keep coming back to but think Weegar as the piece instead of Anderson considering he has the long term deal and is a hometown guy for Ottawa.

What about Weegar+Van pick for Chabot+Ottawa 1st?

Chabot is a huge overpay in terms of making $8M per so do the flames need to even add the Van pick?
Personally, I think Chabot by himself might be worth Weegar + Van 1st.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:07 PM   #24
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
What makes you think that?

Chabot has 2 seasons over 40pts in his entire career making $8M for another 4 seasons and has never been a strong defender. He has 29pts in 48 games this year and Weegar has 48pts being a solid two way guy.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:10 PM   #25
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

and costs less
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:30 PM   #26
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Imagine being a fan of a team with this constant negative bs. Just weird.
It's not that serious really. You're free to take it super seriously of course and that wouldn't be weird.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:40 PM   #27
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames were to make a move, I figure it would be to snag a player who's gonna slide. Much like Kylington in his draft year.

So my prediction is they swing a trade and draft Trevor Connelly.

I'm curious to find out how far his red flags push him down the draft order and what is the threshold for when a team makes a move for him. Is it 17th overall or 42nd overall?
Old 04-12-2024, 05:50 PM   #28
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What makes you think that?

Chabot has 2 seasons over 40pts in his entire career making $8M for another 4 seasons and has never been a strong defender. He has 29pts in 48 games this year and Weegar has 48pts being a solid two way guy.
Over their careers:
Chabot has averaged 0.60 PPG
Weegar has averaged 0.43 PPG

This season:
Chabot is averaging 0.60 PPG (~49.5 points over 82 games). Chabot is first on his team in icetime 23:21 TOI/G.

Weegar is averaging 0.62 PPG (~50.5 points over 82 games). Weegar is third on his team in icetime 22:51 TOI/G. This is a careet year so far for Weegar.

Chabot is also 3 years younger than Weegar. 27 and entering his prime. He makes more money than Weegat but in 5 years, his contract will be finished at 32 years old. Weegar's contract wont be finished until he is 37 and likely past his prime.

Weegar has been more durable though, which is certainly not something to discount.

Overall, I would much rather have Chabot over Weegar. Maybe the difference isn't a first round pick but they are on different levels in terms of value for me.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:57 PM   #29
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 06:00 PM   #30
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weegar is far grittier and a much better defensive Dman. Ottawa talks about getting good vets and he would be the exact type of player they covet and should be a player the Flames would only part with in the right deal.

I would do Weegar for the 8th pick no Chabot. I put him in the deal as a cap throw in. I don’t think he is worth $8M a year and Weegar is playing above his $6.25M cap hit. If the Flames are lucky enough to get Celebrini I would really love for them to find a way to get Tij as well.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:07 PM   #31
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Weegar is far grittier and a much better defensive Dman. Ottawa talks about getting good vets and he would be the exact type of player they covet and should be a player the Flames would only part with in the right deal.

I would do Weegar for the 8th pick no Chabot. I put him in the deal as a cap throw in. I don’t think he is worth $8M a year and Weegar is playing above his $6.25M cap hit. If the Flames are lucky enough to get Celebrini I would really love for them to find a way to get Tij as well.
Fair enough. That would be sweet!
Old 04-12-2024, 06:10 PM   #32
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Come on hockey gods… let’s get this going:

1. Flames win first overall and draft Celebrini.
2. Montreal wins 2nd overall and picks Demidov (so they don’t take Iginla).
3. Flames trade Andersson + Flames 2024 2nd round pick to Ottawa for 8th overall. Flames select Tij Iginla with Ottawa’s pick.
4. Flames trade Markstrom (50% retained) + Vancouver’s 2024 first round pick + Dallas’s 2024 2nd round pick for New Jersey’s first round pick (11th-12th overall). Flames select Carter Yakemchuk with Jersey’s pick.
5. Celebrini makes the flames out of training camp and has a solid rookie season.
6. Iginla and Yakemchuk both play for Team Canada at the 2025 World Juniors.
7. Flames finish next season picking in the top 5 of the 2025 NHL draft. Flames select a top line center or top pairing defenceman with that pick.
8. Iginla and Yakemchuk play for the Wranglers in 2025-2026 season and play great. The Wranglers set flames AHL affiliate attendance records for that season.
9. Vegas drops off big time in 2025-2026 and the 2026 first round pick they sent to the flames in exchange for Hanifin ends up being first overall. The flames select Gavin McKenna with that pick and Joe Iginla with their own first round pick.
10. By the end of the 2026-2027 season, the flames have Tij Iginla-Celebrini-Joe Iginla as a line and Zary-McKenna-Coronato as a line.
11. Cale Makar signs with the flames in free agency in summer 2027.
12. New arena opens in fall 2027.
13. McKenna, Celebrini, Makar, Yakemchuk, T. iginla, J. Iginla, Coronato, Zary, Wolf, and 2025 Flames first round pick are the core of a team that should be competing for the playoffs in their first season in the new arena (2027-2028)

It’s possible I might be asking a lot of the hockey gods. Oh well… fun to dream.
the thing is, as Flames we are like haha good one, but Pens , Hawks and Oilers fans would be thinking if it were them , yeah could/probably will happen like this based on past experiences. well maybe not Oilers (other than the lottery bits)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:20 PM   #33
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
the thing is, as Flames we are like haha good one, but Pens , Hawks and Oilers fans would be thinking if it were them , yeah could/probably will happen like this based on past experiences. well maybe not Oilers (other than the lottery bits)
It’s obviously a crazy scenario all around with the most important parts built on pure luck (draft lottery wins)… but if by some crazy luck the flames won the draft lottery and got the first pick overall this year, I would love to see Conroy lean into the rebuild with the kind of aggressive trades I proposed.

I think virtually the entire fanbase (with very few exceptions) would be absolutely ecstatic if the flames came out of this draft with Celebrini + Iginla + Yakemchuk even if it cost them Andersson + Markstrom + Vancouver’s first round pick + Calgary’s 2nd round pick + Dallas’s 2nd round pick. Sure, it would mean the flames defence gets even more decimated and would make them even more likely to finish near the bottom of the league next year… but they are very unlikely to make the playoffs anyways next year (even with Celebrini) without major free agent signings (unlikely).

I don’t think ownership/upper management would have a problem with attendance next year with Celebrini on the team. And I think that same ownership would be very excited to have another Iginla in the system… Jerseys would be selling like crazy. And strategically… the moment to lean into the rebuild is in this draft if you get that first overall pick.

I’ve mentioned this in an old post… if the window is there to potentially get 3 impact players in a single draft, I’d do everything possible to make that happen. 3 picks in the first 12 is the best chance to make that happen and doing that in this draft would be the best timing to speed up the rebuild. If you average only getting one impact player from the draft simply through your own pick that comes with finishing near the bottom of the league, it takes at least 5-6 years to build a new core to the team through the draft. If you could get 3 of that core in a single draft by drafting 3 times in the top 11/12 (including first overall), that could potentially cut the rebuild time period by 2-3 years… which is what ownership/upper management want.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:17 PM   #34
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

May 7 is the date.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1783919780770021827

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 12:19 PM   #35
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why does it take them this long to do the draft lottery?

I seem to recall it being done on the first day of the playoffs.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:22 PM   #36
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post

All potential game 7's in round 1 will conclude May 5th (sunday) so perhaps the NHL is trying to fill dead days with hockey content? maybe may 6th being a monday is not the best time to get viewers? I dunno lol
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:22 PM   #37
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:

The balls are all hand painted.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:23 PM   #38
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
The balls are all hand painted.
You into body art?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:26 PM   #39
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It takes a long time to configure the rigging a specific outcome from the final draft rankings.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:28 PM   #40
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You into body art?
No no, this would be lottery artistry.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote