Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Calgary Neighbourhoods

Hey guys,

I'm planning on moving back to Calgary in the next 6-8 months and I'm looking into various neighbourhoods. I'd love for the CP braintrust to help me out in learning more about Calgary neighbourhoods.

I'll likely be working at a major hospital and I'd like to live inner city. I'm a single guy in my mid twenties. It would be my first place, budget would be $250-350 000, looking for an apartment.

So where do you live? What are the pros/cons of where you live?

Any up and coming neighbourhoods you'd recommend?

Cheers
Old 08-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bridegland/Crescent Heights/Renfrew would be a good place to start.

Really close to downtown and walkable, but not DT prices. Could get an awesome place with lots of stuff around in that price range.

Where my first place, was great.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mission.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Foothills Hospital?

Parkdale, West Hillhurst.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Single guy in mid 20s with a budget of 250-300k? That screams Beltline. That's where I'd want to live if I was in that situation. Go right where the action is.

You can do Hillhurst/Bridgeland/Crescent Heights etc. when you're a little older and you want more calm/space.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
Bridegland/Crescent Heights/Renfrew would be a good place to start.

Really close to downtown and walkable, but not DT prices. Could get an awesome place with lots of stuff around in that price range.

Where my first place, was great.
Crescent Heights would be awesome. How's the homeless situation in Bridgeland? Everytime I'm there it seems there are more and more homeless being pushed out of the East Village and into that lower part of Bridgeland. Although Bridgeland looks to be booming with all the new condos going up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Foothills Hospital?

Parkdale, West Hillhurst.
Maybe Foothills, wouldn't mind working at Rockyview. Not really a fan of Parkdale, very expensive and most the the inventory is houses/duplexes. West Hillhurst/Hillhurst are definitely good options though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Single guy in mid 20s with a budget of 250-300k? That screams Beltline. That's where I'd want to live if I was in that situation. Go right where the action is.

You can do Hillhurst/Bridgeland/Crescent Heights etc. when you're a little older and you want more calm/space.
Beltline is another good one, but I feel like I could get better value elsewhere.

What do you guys think about Sunalta? Any potential here?
Old 08-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you want out of the location?

So far you have stated
single, mid twenties, inner city.

But what else are you looking for quiet, loud, modern, eclectic, gentrified, close to XXX amenity is critical,

Do you have a choice with which hospital? If you end up in the deep south or Loughheed hospital you will want to live somewhere with decent access to deer foot so Inglewood or Bridgeland would be better choices than any of the western ones. If you can avoid crossing the crowchild bridge over the bow in rush hour that would help out as well. With shift work though it might not be as much of an issue.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

So far you have stated

But what else are you looking for quiet, loud, modern, eclectic, gentrified, close to XXX amenity is critical,

Do you have a choice with which hospital? If you end up in the deep south or Loughheed hospital you will want to live somewhere with decent access to deer foot so Inglewood or Bridgeland would be better choices than any of the western ones. If you can avoid crossing the crowchild bridge over the bow in rush hour that would help out as well. With shift work though it might not be as much of an issue.
Close to river/running paths, close to LRT, walking distance (20 mins or less) to bars/pubs/nightlife, value, potential for growth of the neighbourhood. These are all important.

I don't have a choice which hospital but will almost certainly be at either Foothills, Rockyview, or Peter Lougheed. Peter Lougheed is a 5 min walk from a train station so I'd take the train if I worked there. Couldn't imagine dealing with Deerfoot everyday.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledFlamesFan View Post
Close to river/running paths, close to LRT, walking distance (20 mins or less) to bars/pubs/nightlife, value, potential for growth of the neighbourhood. These are all important.

I don't have a choice which hospital but will almost certainly be at either Foothills, Rockyview, or Peter Lougheed. Peter Lougheed is a 5 min walk from a train station so I'd take the train if I worked there. Couldn't imagine dealing with Deerfoot everyday.
With the close to the train requirement,

Bridgeland, Mission, Sunalta, or pure belt line.

Mission would be the best for nightlife / growth in the neighbourhood.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sunalta is an up and coming neighbourhood. It is still a little run down but it is starting to see some revitalization. The future is positive with the new train station and potentially with the new Flames arena.

Haven't heard Kensington mentioned yet. It has a decent mix of older, more affordable properties along with new, modern, expensive buildings. Prices are higher than comparable areas but it is highly desirable.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am in the same situation, looking for an exciting neighborhood with access to the south when needed and train if needed. This is keeping me looking in Mission.

I have been out most weekends to view about 10 properties at a time. It is VERY difficult for myself to commit so much cash to the type of properties I've stepped in... It is not going as smoothly as I hoped, but now that I have experienced what I like and dislike, hopefully the right listing pops up.

Sunalta and some of the neighborhoods listed here get you much better bang for your buck than Mission, Erlton, and Victoria Park.

When buying, make sure you look at the condo fees, property tax, etc, to incorporate into your calculation of how much of your monthly income you can spend.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #12
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I am in the same situation, looking for an exciting neighborhood with access to the south when needed and train if needed. This is keeping me looking in Mission.

I have been out most weekends to view about 10 properties at a time. It is VERY difficult for myself to commit so much cash to the type of properties I've stepped in... It is not going as smoothly as I hoped, but now that I have experienced what I like and dislike, hopefully the right listing pops up.

Sunalta and some of the neighborhoods listed here get you much better bang for your buck than Mission, Erlton, and Victoria Park.

When buying, make sure you look at the condo fees, property tax, etc, to incorporate into your calculation of how much of your monthly income you can spend.
What problems are you running into TSX? I'll probably experience these same problems in half a year. Affordability? Places selling very quickly?

Mission is an interesting option. It would be a desirable location to live but looks like it is quite expensive. Also wasn't Mission one of the hardest hit areas during the floods last year?

Is it pretty much determined that the new rink will either be a few blocks north of the current saddledome or the west village? That could be a huge boost for Sunalta.

Then again look at how long it has taken the east village to start developing. The west village could take another 25+ years.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What problems are you running into TSX? I'll probably experience these same problems in half a year. Affordability? Places selling very quickly?

Mission is an interesting option. It would be a desirable location to live but looks like it is quite expensive. Also wasn't Mission one of the hardest hit areas during the floods last year?

Is it pretty much determined that the new rink will either be a few blocks north of the current saddledome or the west village? That could be a huge boost for Sunalta.

Then again look at how long it has taken the east village to start developing. The west village could take another 25+ years.
Problems being cost and quality related for the current market. I wish I was looking a year ago, could have saved a bit for the same areas as now. It may get better with the seasons changing soon.

I recommend looking up flood maps as well, as sellers aren't always disclosing the damage done.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's the cheapest range you could get for a single family home with 3 bedrooms, +1000 square ft near a ctrain stop that isn't a complete Reno job in Calgary?
Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #15
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hey mate,

I live in Mission. I love it. (PM'd)

Re: Flooding. About a third of it was hit by last years flood.
A rough rule of thumb is north west of the old Holy Cross hospital -- stay west of 2nd Street, north of 23rd ave.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #16
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

So far you have stated

But what else are you looking for quiet, loud, modern, eclectic, gentrified, close to XXX amenity is critical.
Forest Lawn?!?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #17
bizkitgto
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

What kind of quality would 250-300k get you in the Beltline? Would money be better spent a little further out and just train/cab into area for weekend drinks?

EDIT: The Mission area is awesome, I used to live there....with all the flooding in the area you have to be super careful. But I loved living there, amazing part of town, expensive though.

Last edited by bizkitgto; 08-11-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #18
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Hey mate,

I live in Mission. I love it. (PM'd)

Re: Flooding. About a third of it was hit by last years flood.
A rough rule of thumb is north west of the old Holy Cross hospital -- stay west of 2nd Street, north of 23rd ave.
Thanks for the info and listing but I won't be back for at least half a year so I won't be making any offers anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
What kind of quality would 250-300k get you in the Beltline? Would money be better spent a little further out and just train/cab into area for weekend drinks?

EDIT: The Mission area is awesome, I used to live there....with all the flooding in the area you have to be super careful. But I loved living there, amazing part of town, expensive though.
Looks that way with Mission, pricey. I agree with you, getting a place in a community adjacent to the beltline is more affordable. Plus I won't be working downtown. Sunalta/Bridgeland/Hillhurst/Crescent Heights would be fine.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #19
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone forgets about Lower Mount Royal, but it's the best. Lots to choose from in this price range, just off of 17th ave. You can walk to everything you could want.

Last edited by Bunk; 08-15-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #20
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think most people just bundle Lower Mount Royal in with the Beltline.