Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2023, 07:39 AM   #121
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Move them all, and start fresh. Non of them will be “better” into this teams next competitive window unless you believe we will get more competitive over the next few seasons magically
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2023, 08:10 AM   #122
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone who has made his retirement money and has a chance to get off the Flames and out of Calgary, maybe even with a chance to join a contender or live in a bigger city that isn't dark and winter for six or seven months each year, actually wants to both stay in the city and even take on responsibility of leading a group that's been a cultural mess over the last year to make them into a better team? Sounds awful. Get rid of the selfish bum. The Flames need more guys who want out, or maybe more guys who sulk and quit with the season on the line instead of playing hard in the big games. Those are the guys I want to cheer for.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:16 AM   #123
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm shocked there are so many here advocating to sign 3rd liners to good deals out of loyalty. The Flames have been charitable to too many non-franchise players with long term and/or high price deals. Time to clean house where possible and not sign anyone who isn't carrying the team, to any type of long term or loyalty contract. Backlund may not deserve to be asked to take a discount because of his loyalty, but doesn't mean he should be a Flame for life as a 2nd or 3rd liner most years he was with the team. Time to move on and get some draft capital while at it. I just hope the Flames amateur and pro scouts are top notch to ensure we're getting good value from whomever we get for these guys.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:18 AM   #124
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames pro scout sucks big time

Just get picks and junior prospects
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:25 AM   #125
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Flames pro scout sucks big time

Just get picks and junior prospects
You know this, how?

Their choices (based on contracts handed out) have depended on the instructions they were given - which MAY have zero to do with whom they recommended.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:50 AM   #126
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
You know this, how?

Their choices (based on contracts handed out) have depended on the instructions they were given - which MAY have zero to do with whom they recommended.
This is more of a general comment than directly at you but at some point somebody in the organization has to take blame for their own actions don't they?

Scouts weren't to blame under Sutter because he only wanted big, western Canadian plugs.

Treliving gets a pass because of Edwards meddling.

Players got a pass last year because Sutter was the devil.

Can't question Conroy during his time as AGM because Treliving made all the choices and as we see above the meddling from Edwards.

Now we can't judge the pro scouts?
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:51 AM   #127
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
You know this, how?

In terms of personnel tasked with pro scouting, I believe the Flames still have the fewest number of pro scouts in the league.

If one of the AGMs or something is excellent at evaluating talent, I don't know how much it matters. Results are what matter.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:47 AM   #128
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
This is more of a general comment than directly at you but at some point somebody in the organization has to take blame for their own actions don't they?

Scouts weren't to blame under Sutter because he only wanted big, western Canadian plugs.

Can't question Conroy during his time as AGM because Treliving made all the choices and as we see above the meddling from Edwards.

I think it's fair to say that pro scouting was not an organizational strong point under Treliving. Most of the free agency signings from the beginning were pretty bad as well the Hamonic trade was a disaster as he was playing poorly for the Islanders the season they traded for him and got that exact same guy in return for assets usually reserved for elite players. The Hamilton trade to Carolina was a good one but Hanafin and Lindholm were high draft picks that had pedigree so I don't think pro scouting unearthed anything there that everyone didn't already know. I would hope the pro scouting is better under Conroy or chances are the team will not improve a lot over Treliving's tenure.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2023, 10:56 AM   #129
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Attach the captaincy to the condition that he signs a reasonable contract extension. He's only got a handful of years left in him, by the time he's done we'll have another candidate. No harm in letting Backs wear the C for a few years, he's earned it

Hell, who else are you going to give it too. Huberdeau? In the future maybe, but he's got enough pressure on him for the next while to just show he can even perform. Andersson? He's my favourite Flame, but he seems like the kind of guy that isn't known for his leadership. Give him an A for sure, but for anything more let's wait and see. Kadri? Man, talk about a guy that just plain gave up last year. I love him, but that's not a leader

He's really the only choice, unless you just continue to go without one entirely.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 11:00 AM   #130
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Backlund should be captain. Longest standing Flame and one of the best on the team in the community.

Not sure why we think we need to make the captain some younger player?
Because a leader in a locker room and on the ice, is different from a person who contributes to the community.

A leader needs to be that player that shows up and gives 100% all the time. Backlund often goes missing for 5 or more games at a time. IMO

Young players will follow the strongest guy on the ice, and will try to be better. And that's what the team has lacked lately, a leader.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 11:22 AM   #131
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Move them all, and start fresh. Non of them will be “better” into this teams next competitive window unless you believe we will get more competitive over the next few seasons magically
Magic?

How about average goaltending, playing star players more than fourth liners, not having a coach nearly every player can't stand being around, bringing in young players dominating other leagues.

They had 93 points despite all this
Old 05-27-2023, 11:39 AM   #132
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Magic?

How about average goaltending, playing star players more than fourth liners, not having a coach nearly every player can't stand being around, bringing in young players dominating other leagues.

They had 93 points despite all this
It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. We have good players on the team a potential star goalie and a rookie winger who is the best player in the US team right now.

The change in attitude alone should make things better.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2023, 11:43 AM   #133
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

He's really the only choice, unless you just continue to go without one entirely.

Tanev, of course his contact situation past this year would have to be resolved.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 03:43 PM   #134
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post

Well, as the general public, we can only judge based on results - so those results accrue to the top person in the room at the time. Only when we know that someone was directly responsible for a given area can WE judge accurately (or not!). Say Muller on the PP. We think he was awful but we don't know what the HC said. Maybe he said to play super-conservatively. We only see the result and we don't like that, so we blame the guy we KNOW (or think) is in charge.

Blame is easy to ascribe; responsibility is harder - and it really needs to come from the individual ... not the finger-pointers.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:29 PM   #135
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
No thanks to Backlund as captain. Dude requested a trade twice and now wants to be captain?

Give it to Rasmus or Weegar.

Backlund requested a trade?? Twice?? Link to source please.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:39 PM   #136
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Backlund requested a trade?? Twice?? Link to source please.
didn't happen...he said he is getting older and wants to win a cup, preferably in Calgary

OMG what a monster!

basically he would only want to be traded if its a major rebuild (which is what the team would want to)
Old 05-27-2023, 11:21 PM   #137
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conny just said we should sign players who want to play here, Backs has bled red for his career, sign him to frontloaded contract with bonuses. So many players wanted out from Sutter.

Tell the players to choose their captain in the room,
Old 05-28-2023, 07:12 PM   #138
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
No thanks to Backlund as captain. Dude requested a trade twice and now wants to be captain?

Give it to Rasmus or Weegar.

Honest question, what has Rasmus done to deserve to be captain? That goes with Weegar as well, and Weegar hasn't been here long enough to show he is captain material either.

I like Backlund, sure he has up and down games, who doesn't? Name a player that are up and up in 82 games? And he is heavily involves in the community, does a lot of charity works and represent the team well. That in my mind are more of captain material.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:15 PM   #139
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was definitely mentioned on Barn Burner that Backlund asked to be traded prior to this past season when Johnny and Matt walked away.

I think the 2nd request may be his displeasure with re-signing long term and wanting to fight for a cup… but maybe someone else can chime in.

Love Backlund, but this team needs a new and fresh direction.
I can’t pick a captain now, I’d wait to see how the off-season unfolds and who steps up in camp next year.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 09:12 PM   #140
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
Because a leader in a locker room and on the ice, is different from a person who contributes to the community.

A leader needs to be that player that shows up and gives 100% all the time. Backlund often goes missing for 5 or more games at a time. IMO

Young players will follow the strongest guy on the ice, and will try to be better. And that's what the team has lacked lately, a leader.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
From this post I'm not sure you even watched the most recent season.

Backlund was the most consistent forward to "show up", outside of maybe Toffoli.

His plus/minus rating was heads and shoulders above everyone else's because he was giving it all over the ice, and set a career high in points. I think this is the last season you'd match that kind of description to Backlund's play. Not at all accurate.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 05-28-2023 at 09:16 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post: