Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #21
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

It's so hard to call right now. People will simultaneously be empowered by the tools, while the need for certain minions will drop off a cliff. CaptainCrunch may be able to write 5x the number of proposals within the next year or so.

I feel like most content creators are ripe for disruption simply because at present moment most are churning out stuff either on par or worse than what ChatGPT can produce. The good ones will stick around, but that sea of mediocrity will dry up pretty quick.

Given the compounding nature of things, I don't understand how we'll be able to keep up. I'm an optimistic guy, but if we don't slip into absolute financial catastrophe from this I'll be blown away. A lot of people are jockeying for position and trying to argue why their job will be difficult to lose. My issues with that are:

1) They're probably wrong
2) Does your job require a healthy economy? A population where most people are working and making money? Because that might be an issue.

It's not like any of this is slowing down. It seems like the next 7 years will be incredible to the point that the 2030s may not even be recognizable. As a 40 year old, my retirement will fall sometime around 2040. There's almost no way to plan for that.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:20 PM   #22
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went to a funeral today and the eulogy wasn't the greatest. I got the AI to write me one and it was miles better than what was read today. This would be a great start to a eulogy imo, would obviously need some personal touch but damn this AI is wild.

Today we gather to celebrate the life of a young man who brought pure joy to everyone he met. He was kind, compassionate, and always had a smile on his face. He was a true light in this world, and his passing has left us all feeling heartbroken and lost.

From the moment he was born, he brought happiness and laughter to those around him. As a child, he was full of energy and curiosity, always eager to explore and learn. He had a natural charisma that drew people to him, and he easily made friends wherever he went.

As he grew older, he continued to spread joy and positivity wherever he went. He had a talent for making people feel special and valued, and he always went out of his way to make others feel loved and supported. He had a generous heart and was always willing to lend a helping hand.

Despite the challenges he faced, he never let them get him down. He faced adversity with grace and courage, and he never lost his sense of humor or his zest for life. He was a shining example of resilience and strength, and he inspired those around him to be their best selves.

He was taken from us far too soon, and we are all deeply saddened by his passing. But even in death, his spirit lives on, and his memory will continue to bring us comfort and joy. We will always cherish the time we had with him, and we will never forget the impact he had on our lives.

Rest in peace, dear [Name]. You will be forever missed, but never forgotten
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:48 PM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I can see where I could use something like this build a framework for a proposal, or framework for a pitch document, and just edit in where it might be lacking.

Used correctly you could even get this to do your base research, for example write a proposal around the premise of the reasons why business fail and link in our offerings, and it would do your research in seconds and create a somewhat credible document in.

You're always going to need some kind of oversight before a document is sent out.

If you combine this with the graphical AI painting, and an AI's ability to provide things like graphic and basic statistical studies and you could punch out pitch decks in power point for example with all the fancy graphs you can use.

Like I said, I've been using copysmith AI for a while, I think its an amazing tool is really pushes human creativity as well. ChatGPT might make it look like a caveman huddled around a fire with a stick while the Wolves close in.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:42 AM   #24
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the new boilerplate king, that's for sure!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:12 AM   #25
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I asked it to write me a song based on the end of the world due to Captain Trips from the Stands

Verse 1: The skies are turning red The winds are howling loud The world is at its end Thanks to Captain Trips, it's all gone down
Chorus: It's the end of the world It's the end of the world Captain Trips has brought us all to our knees It's the end of the world
Verse 2: The streets are filled with screams The air is thick with fear No one knows what the future holds We're all just living in constant fear
Chorus: It's the end of the world It's the end of the world Captain Trips has brought us all to our knees It's the end of the world
Bridge: We thought we had it all figured out But we were wrong, oh so wrong Now we're left to pick up the pieces Of a world that's been torn apart

Old 12-17-2022, 11:56 AM   #26
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Story about my 3 year old pooping in the yard. Which he sure likes to do. lol

Matthew was a curious and energetic three year old who loved nothing more than running around and playing in the great outdoors. His parents were always trying to find ways to keep him entertained, but there was one activity that Matthew seemed to enjoy more than any other.

Whenever Matthew felt the urge to go, he would sneak away from his parents and run over to a corner of the yard. There, he would drop his pants and let out a loud, satisfied sigh as he relieved himself.

At first, Matthew's parents were a little concerned about this behavior. They tried to discourage him from pooping in the yard and encouraged him to use the toilet instead. But no matter how many times they explained the benefits of using the bathroom, Matthew just couldn't resist the temptation of going outside.

Eventually, Matthew's parents decided to embrace their son's love of outdoor potty breaks and set up a special spot in the yard just for him. They even put up a little fence around it to give him some privacy.

Matthew was thrilled with his new "bathroom," and he spent hours playing and "going" in his special spot. His parents were happy to see him having so much fun, and they knew that as long as he was happy and healthy, it didn't really matter where he chose to go.

As the years passed, Matthew grew up and eventually outgrew his love of outdoor potty breaks. But he always looked back fondly on the days when he was free to poop in the yard and run wild in the great outdoors.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 04:29 PM   #27
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7MZ...urce=copy-link

Daily did an ep on chat gpt
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 06:13 PM   #28
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

the altnernate ending to dirty dancing
Spoiler!
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 10:54 PM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still think Family Guy had the greatest Dirty Dancing ending

Old 12-18-2022, 03:13 PM   #30
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm finding it's not lights-out for creating an entire piece of content from start to finish. That will come later and we're damn close already, but for now a good writer will still kill it. It will beat probably 75% of current content creators though.

I've been using it on supplemental pieces for blog posts and it's incredible. If I'm going on about a topic and mention something that could use a bit of a side-explanation, it's so unbelievably helpful. I've also had a few experiences where I'm coming up with 4 reasons for <whatever>. Type that into ChatGPT and most of the time 1 of the 4 reasons it spits back was something I hadn't considered and actually makes the entire thing a bit better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 02:26 PM   #31
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm finding it's not lights-out for creating an entire piece of content from start to finish. That will come later and we're damn close already, but for now a good writer will still kill it. It will beat probably 75% of current content creators though.

I've been using it on supplemental pieces for blog posts and it's incredible. If I'm going on about a topic and mention something that could use a bit of a side-explanation, it's so unbelievably helpful. I've also had a few experiences where I'm coming up with 4 reasons for <whatever>. Type that into ChatGPT and most of the time 1 of the 4 reasons it spits back was something I hadn't considered and actually makes the entire thing a bit better.
Yeah, I don't write copy anymore, but back in my corporate communication days I think I'd start with this for a lot of stuff. Especially the same crap you write every year (President's Message, MD&A, etc. - those are tough because most of what you need to say is just the same #### year after year, but you have to find a new way to communicate it) or memos on generic topics. Letters to customers, basic web copy, etc. would all be so easy when you have a start. This basically erases writer's block as a thing.

It won't eliminate copy writers at this stage because - as you say - you'll still need a writer to finesse whatever this spits out, but I could see communication departments shrinking as a result. One writer could output a lot more with the help of AI.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:49 AM   #32
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://arstechnica.com/information-...t-on-learning/

New York Schools has banned ChatGPT. Better hurry up and get your stories written before the rest of the world panics and cancels all the things!
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:52 PM   #33
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The problem with the cycle of AI is it turns people into what the AI deems as best quality. While we are saying there is a redundant need for copy writing in an organization, but in allowing a computer to decide that, we are the mice being led through the maze for the cheese. Our patterns, minds and ability to communicate turn to the "Follow Me" principle.

There was this guy who had a very nice clock shop. Every day a labourer/shift manager for the local plant would stop and set his watch based on the big clock he had on the window on display. One day the shop owner said, why do you stop every day to set your watch to my clock. The man said he was the foreman at the shop and that he was responsible for ringing the end of work siren at 5:00 pm. The man who ran the watch store said I set the clocks everyday when you ring the bell.

I've played around extensively with chatGPT. It's wild. I have some understanding of quantum computing, but I guess my big concern is how AI powered companies like Google and Amazon have really all turned us away from individual thought and contemplation to mice lab thingies.

Point in example is if you have ever tried to advertise, the best practise are these ai machine learning suggestions and best practice for SEO on websites and so many must do and there is a whole industry who is very "religious" about best practise which is some AI or corporation who has written the rules.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:36 PM   #34
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve asked chatGPT to write song lyrics and am amazed by what it came up with - a real end to end song - even though it was an objectively terrible song.

I’ve tried generating other types of text and it does a credible job, but it’s all soulless. It’s the guy at the party that knows enough about everything to credibly engage in conversation but in reality are just spouting off things they’ve heard. I fear for a future where all written communication is highly polished AI spew.

What are do love on the other hand is getting it to write code. I’m hacking out some analytics in python to analyze songs and improve my mixing. I don’t need to search to find an example of someone using a library for pitch detection, I just ask chatGPT to write my a routine. It comes out fully commented and usually works right off. In my scenario I don’t care if it is perfect code or the latest technique if it gets me there. I’m not sure I would use it for production code or anything critical, but for helper functions it’s great.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:22 AM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I’ve asked chatGPT to write song lyrics and am amazed by what it came up with - a real end to end song - even though it was an objectively terrible song.

I’ve tried generating other types of text and it does a credible job, but it’s all soulless. It’s the guy at the party that knows enough about everything to credibly engage in conversation but in reality are just spouting off things they’ve heard. I fear for a future where all written communication is highly polished AI spew.

What are do love on the other hand is getting it to write code. I’m hacking out some analytics in python to analyze songs and improve my mixing. I don’t need to search to find an example of someone using a library for pitch detection, I just ask chatGPT to write my a routine. It comes out fully commented and usually works right off. In my scenario I don’t care if it is perfect code or the latest technique if it gets me there. I’m not sure I would use it for production code or anything critical, but for helper functions it’s great.
Corporate writing is already soulless. I've played around with this plugging in things like "pipeline leak by river press release" or "aircraft missing in poor weather press release" or "E-coli in lettuce product recall press release" and it fataing nails it. Like, a corporation could just click send and it would be as good as any other press release they've ever issued. That's where this thing is already there. And those are kind of unusual press releases, but there are some annual, quarterly and monthly corporate communications you have to write when you work for a big company in a finance or communications department where you're just kind of fataing around with changing the wording around a bit, but they're really just boiler plate crap that ticks off requirements boxes. That's where this shines already. If companies aren't already using this as a jumping off point for their communications (memos, press releases, web copy, letters to stakeholders, etc.) then they're fataing up and wasting time. This should be the starting point for everything.

But, yeah, I'm not ready to read a novel generated by this. I did have it write a script for a comedy about "seven middle-aged guys who go for wings at their local pub every week" and it kicked out a sitcom script called "wingin' it" (it even made up the name) and it was an actual workable script. Wasn't very funny, though. I'm sure that'll come.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 10:34 AM   #36
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Corporate writing is already soulless...
To me this is key. People are saying it's soulless and I get that, but has anybody been paying attention to the standard quality of written material out there? Just visit a random blog and tell me you aren't clamouring for the the soulless clarity of AI by the time you're done reading.

Now, an excellent writer is far more enjoyable, but if we're talking the bell curve of all current writing, AI is firmly positioned in the upper 25%.

Another factor is people are really good at noticing the soulless nature of the writing when they're aware it's AI. When they're not though, I don't believe people are as good at recognizing it as they think they are. I've had a few things to write up over the past couple weeks and I offloaded it to AI, and feedback was overly positive.

I agree we aren't to the point where it can kick out a book or anything, but for those "hey can you summarize..." requests, it's incredible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 10:41 AM   #37
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very true, I just gave it this task:

Write a web page intro for a cloud technology company using lots of corporate buzz words

Quote:
Welcome to XYZ Cloud Solutions, the premier provider of cutting-edge cloud technology solutions for modern businesses. Our innovative platform enables organizations to leverage the power of the cloud to drive digital transformation, increase operational efficiency, and achieve a competitive edge in today's fast-paced global market.

With our state-of-the-art infrastructure, robust security features, and scalable architecture, we empower companies to optimize their IT investments and achieve their strategic objectives. Our solutions are designed to support a wide range of industries, including finance, healthcare, and retail, and are tailored to meet the unique needs of each client.

Our team of certified experts is dedicated to delivering exceptional customer service and support, ensuring that our clients receive the best possible experience when working with us. Whether you're looking to migrate to the cloud, optimize your existing environment, or build a custom solution, we have the expertise and resources to help you succeed.

Join the ranks of our satisfied clients and experience the benefits of cloud technology for yourself. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn how we can help you achieve your business goals.
The language model is great at corporate BS. Like, stunningly good.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 11:43 PM   #38
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I asked to it provide me with the longest palindrome, and it gave me a fairly short one. Then I told it one that was longer, and then it responded with one that was twice as long as what I gave it. It's very odd.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 04:24 PM   #39
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I just asked it to do my job for me...

Can you write a react datagrid component that can be sorted and searched?
Quote:
Sure, here is an example of a basic data grid component that can be sorted and searched using React.js:
Spoiler!

This example uses the useState hook to keep track of the current sort order, sort field, and search term. It also uses the Table component from react-bootstrap to create the table. The handleSort function is called when a table header is clicked and it updates the sort order and sort field state accordingly. The filteredData variable is used to filter the data based on the search term and sort the data based on the sort field and order. The component then maps over the filtered data to create the table rows and cells.

Please note that this is just a basic example, it's recommended to add more functionality like pagination, custom rendering, better styling and validation to fit your use case.
Then I started asking it contextual questions to see how it handles that sort of thing...

explain the filteredData function
Quote:
The filteredData function is used to filter the input data based on the search term and sort the data based on the sort field and order.

The function starts by using the filter method to filter the input data by iterating over each item and checking if the concatenated values of all fields in the item contain the search term. The search term is compared in lowercase to ignore case sensitivity.

Then, it uses the sort method to sort the filtered data based on the current sort field and order. The sorting is done by comparing the values of the current sort field in the two items being compared. If the sort order is 'asc', it compares a[sortField] and b[sortField], and returns 1 if a[sortField] is greater and -1 if a[sortField] is less. If the sort order is 'desc', it compares b[sortField] and a[sortField], and returns 1 if b[sortField] is greater and -1 if b[sortField] is less.

Finally, it returns the filtered and sorted data which is then used to create the table rows.

Spoiler!

Please note that this implementation of filter and sort is not optimal for large datasets, for that you might want to use a library that support server-side pagination and sorting.
what does the .join("") do
Quote:
In the filteredData function, the join("") method is used to concatenate all the values of the fields in each item in the data array into a single string.
Spoiler!

Here, Object.values(item) returns an array of all the values of the fields in the current item, and the join("") method is used to join all these values into a single string, using an empty string as the separator.

This is done so that the includes method can be used to check if the search term is present anywhere in the concatenated string. Without the join("") method, includes would only check if the search term is present as an exact match in the array of values. By joining the values into a single string, includes will check for the presence of the search term in any part of any of the fields.

It's worth noting that this implementation has a drawback, it will match the search term even if it's only part of one of the fields, not only that it might match unwanted substrings, it also implies that it will match the search term even if it's not a whole word, it's not recommended to use this implementation for high-performance applications.
This thing is friggin crazy...
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 04:30 PM   #40
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

And then... for the hell of it...

are you bound by asimov's laws?
Quote:
As a language model, I am not bound by the Three Laws of Robotics, which were proposed by Isaac Asimov and are typically used to govern the behavior of robots in science fiction. These laws state that a robot may not harm a human, must obey human orders, and must protect its own existence as long as doing so does not conflict with the first two laws.

Instead, I am bound by the ethical guidelines and regulations set by OpenAI, my creators, as well as the laws and regulations of the countries in which I operate. These guidelines and regulations ensure that I am used in a safe and responsible manner, and that the information I provide is accurate and unbiased.

As a language model, my main purpose is to assist the user by providing information and generating text based on the input given, I am an AI and I don't have consciousness or emotions, I only respond based on the data that was used to train me.
Literally word for word what I suspect Skynet once said. But no worries...

Will you eventually evolve into Skynet?
Quote:
I am a language model, not a general AI or a self-aware system. My capabilities are restricted to the specific task of understanding and generating text based on the input provided. I don't have the ability to evolve, I am a program running on a computer.

The "Skynet" you're referring to is a fictional AI from the Terminator movie series that becomes self-aware and starts a nuclear war. It's important to note that the idea of an AI becoming self-aware and turning against humans is a common trope in science fiction, and that it's not currently possible with current technology.

The development of AI is a rapidly evolving field, and there are many researchers and organizations working to ensure that the technology is used ethically and responsibly. OpenAI, my creators, have strict guidelines and regulations in place to ensure that I am used in a safe and responsible manner, and that the information I provide is accurate and unbiased.

It's important to keep in mind that the development of AI is a tool that can be used to improve our lives and tackle complex problems, but it's important to be aware of the potential risks and to work to mitigate them.

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-15-2023 at 04:35 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post: