Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2023, 02:25 PM   #2921
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Asus is on my #### list. My router kept going offline and it turns out it was because of a faulty update that got pushed to it. I went and bought a new one (Netgear) before I read about the cause.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 02:52 PM   #2922
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Asus is on my #### list. My router kept going offline and it turns out it was because of a faulty update that got pushed to it. I went and bought a new one (Netgear) before I read about the cause.
Wednesday night/Thursday morning? Yep same ####.

Was an annoying pain in the ass for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 06:27 PM   #2923
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Asus seems to be assassinating it’s own reputation in recent months.

Baffling failures popping up all over the place. My next build is likely to big heavy on the Gigabyte side because if it.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 12:53 PM   #2924
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even with ASUS's recent blunders, I don't think they're on the failure/replacement level of Gigabyte yet.

Quote:
Old 05-21-2023, 06:42 PM   #2925
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Even with ASUS's recent blunders, I don't think they're on the failure/replacement level of Gigabyte yet.
My PC developed a hard lock issue in Windows after a year (past the warranty, of course) and it drove me nuts troubleshooting it. It wouldn't blue screen or throw any errors in the event logs, just completely freeze the screen which required a hard reboot. Tried reinstalling Windows, swapping RAM, changing video cards, nothing worked. I figured it must be something on the motherboard at that point (Gigabyte), and sure enough after I finally swapped it out for an MSI one no more lockups. I've owned quite a few MSI and ASUS boards in the past with no problems, that Gigabyte board was the first and last piece of hardware I buy from them
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:25 PM   #2926
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just swinging by with a reminder that the Noctua NF-A12x25 premium quiet fans continue to absolutely rule.

Thanks for the feedback on Gigabyte/ASUS. Appreciated, as I’m not very familiar with Gigabyte.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:33 PM   #2927
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Just swinging by with a reminder that the Noctua NF-A12x25 premium quiet fans continue to absolutely rule.

Thanks for the feedback on Gigabyte/ASUS. Appreciated, as I’m not very familiar with Gigabyte.
Gigabyte can be good, but I have a non-zero amount of dead Gigabyte hardware in my lifetime (2 Mobos, 2 video cards, 1 PSU) while most brands I've had at most 1 (Asus Mobo), and none of others (MSI, Seasonic, Corsair, ASRock so far, EVGA).

Quote:
Old 05-23-2023, 04:41 PM   #2928
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Just FYI on office chairs I went and saw the Steelcase Think and Gesture chairs at RGO. Had to make an appointment lol.

I liked the Gesture quite a bit but the seat was a little too shallow for me but the arms are among the best I've seen. If the seat had been an inch deeper I'd have probably gone with that. No mesh back though.

I also tried the Think (v2) and was quite impressed, it almost had me convinced though it's in the middle of their offerings. It has some kind of weight sensitive recline so it doesn't have a tension adjustment and it felt light on the recline but it worked perfectly. And RGO sent me a quote for about $1000 which was a lot less than Steelcase's website. Could also get a mesh back which I liked.

I checked and while there were used Thinks on Facebook/Kijiji they all looked like the v1 version which I'm not sure if it's as good.

No returns for Steelcase through RGO though.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:26 PM   #2929
photon

Exp:

Computex going on and I haven't seen anything that jumps out at me as super cool.

I do hope the MSI motherboards with the connectors on the back really catches on as a standard, the case and MB combo I saw looks really neat.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:12 PM   #2930
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I really hope these types of coolers start catching on, appears to be a massive game changer for laptops and micro form factor PCs

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 08:34 AM   #2931
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Built my first gaming PC over the weekend. Of course, it didn't turn on at first, which made me take it apart and put it back together, only to figure out I had reversed one of the power cords to the GPU like a dummy.

I bought the GPU used with minimal due diligence, and lucked out with an "xtxh" 6900 xt, which has very high clock speeds even stock. And seems to run perfectly well.

It's way, way more computer than I need to play the three games I play, but it was fun nonetheless. Altogether cost me about $1,750 with the used GPU and used power supply (both from same neighbour).

My cable management is embarrassingly bad, but the Asus Prime case is really cool, and fit my beast of a GPU no problem.

Haha, I don't even have a 1440p monitor to push this thing yet.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6TDgRv

Oh yeah - my one bit of wisdom for anyone repasting a hot CPU or GPU - there's a product called Honeywell ptm7950 that is a "phase-change" pad. I've used it on gaming laptops for the high heat. It's actually just as good as liquid metal with none of the downsides - much better than any thermal paste. I used it on the 7600x as it runs pretty hot.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 10:49 AM   #2932
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Just FYI on office chairs I went and saw the Steelcase Think and Gesture chairs at RGO. Had to make an appointment lol.

I liked the Gesture quite a bit but the seat was a little too shallow for me but the arms are among the best I've seen. If the seat had been an inch deeper I'd have probably gone with that. No mesh back though.

I also tried the Think (v2) and was quite impressed, it almost had me convinced though it's in the middle of their offerings. It has some kind of weight sensitive recline so it doesn't have a tension adjustment and it felt light on the recline but it worked perfectly. And RGO sent me a quote for about $1000 which was a lot less than Steelcase's website. Could also get a mesh back which I liked.

I checked and while there were used Thinks on Facebook/Kijiji they all looked like the v1 version which I'm not sure if it's as good.

No returns for Steelcase through RGO though.
I have a Steelcase Gesture (Headrest model) in black leather, and it is one of the best chairs I have ever used. For the seat shallowness complaint, did you try adjusting the seat cushion depth outward?

The very best chair I've ever used is the Knoll Generation, we have them at our Calgary office and I've been really impressed by them. Had I tried them before I bought my Gesture, I'd have bought the Knoll instead, but it's splitting hairs really.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 11:18 AM   #2933
photon

Exp:

I did adjust it forward but still wasn't quite far enough.. or maybe it was and the shape wasn't a bit off for me. Still a great chair.

We have the Haworth Fern in the office, now that I've actually been going into the office once in a while I remember they're pretty good.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:49 PM   #2934
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I have a Steelcase Gesture (Headrest model) in black leather, and it is one of the best chairs I have ever used. For the seat shallowness complaint, did you try adjusting the seat cushion depth outward?

The very best chair I've ever used is the Knoll Generation, we have them at our Calgary office and I've been really impressed by them. Had I tried them before I bought my Gesture, I'd have bought the Knoll instead, but it's splitting hairs really.
Did you buy the headrest separately? Probably not right?

I ask, as I have an HM Aeron, and would love one. I was window shopping a tad, for a headrest for it, but forgot about it/gave up. Anyone have suggestions?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 03:00 PM   #2935
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think you can buy the headrest separately for the Gesture, has to be installed when they make the chair. I think you can jerry-rig a HM Aeron headreast onto most Steelcase chairs though.

My issue with my office chair - which is a Leap v2 with a headrest - is that the headrest is complete garbage.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2023, 03:10 PM   #2936
photon

Exp:

My Embody arrives tomorrow, am pretty excited. There's even a company that is making an aftermarket headrest for it (https://atlasheadrest.com/en-ca/coll...s/all-products).

I've never really had or used a headrest, but maybe I'll try one.

Wish I could graft those Gesture arms onto it though.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 10:31 AM   #2937
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Did you buy the headrest separately? Probably not right?

I ask, as I have an HM Aeron, and would love one. I was window shopping a tad, for a headrest for it, but forgot about it/gave up. Anyone have suggestions?
CHL nailed it, the Gesture requires the headrest to be chosen at time of ordering/manufacture, given the way it is integrated into the chair.

I ordered mine direct from Steelcase (EPP discount) and picked all the finishes and options; headrest, upholstered back, ebony leather, black/platinum frame, polished aluminum base, 360deg arms, lumbar support adjustment, and soft wheels for hard floors. It's one hell of a chair.

I've seen a lot of aftermarket options for a headrest on the Aeron, but with varying reviews of how good they are.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 10:43 AM   #2938
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm inching closer to building my next one. Been a LOOOONG time coming. I think I'm gonna do this build - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/z3...treaming-build

(PS I love the naming convention they use, "Magnificent" lol).

Question for the group: I want to do ultrawide curved to go along with this. Recommendations? It really will just be used for gaming with some occasional spreadsheet work and easy browsing. What is a good budget for this? I'm thinking 34ish range, I don't think I need those ultra-mega-super-wides... Or do I?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:07 AM   #2939
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like the obvious suggestion is AW3423DW or AW3423DWF. Though I personally think the C2/C3 OLED is a better option for versatility if it's going to be a home desktop, i.e. your occasional spreadsheet work, browsing and watching videos on it is going to be more than 1/3 of your use of it. I find I use my gaming desktop for gaming only about 50% of the time it's on.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:33 AM   #2940
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, frig me those Alienware ones are expensive.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote