Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2023, 08:40 PM   #1761
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mike Rose with Snoop Dogg?
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:00 PM   #1762
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

History is a circle.

https://youtu.be/WB-2nQXX15w
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 09:22 PM   #1763
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
History is a circle.

And we all survived and thrived
Old 05-30-2023, 09:24 PM   #1764
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I suspect if we hear the arena deal goes through we hear about a new ownership group emerging. Orange Julius rumour: local group headed by Mike Rose were waiting to see if the deal goes through and Murray is getting out.
Did you just make that up or hear it somewhere. He practically prints money so he’s be the next who could do it. Brett Wilson has always talked about owning some of the flames.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:36 PM   #1765
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
It's like I said in off topic, voting is like trying to decide which pile of turd smells less horrible.
It was a lame analogy the first time you said it
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:44 PM   #1766
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Did you just make that up or hear it somewhere. He practically prints money so he’s be the next who could do it. Brett Wilson has always talked about owning some of the flames.
W. Brett Wilson owning the Flames would be horrifying and I'm not sure he would eventually get the green light.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:51 PM   #1767
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can’t wait for the new arena. It’s going to be fantastic!
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dieHARDflameZ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 09:51 PM   #1768
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
History is a circle.

I always knew Bob Nicholson was a hack, but I never knew he was a hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Brett's probably got a lower net worth than Ryan Reynolds.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:55 PM   #1769
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I always knew Bob Nicholson was a hack, but I never knew he was a hack

According to celebrity net worth

Ryan Reynolds net Worth: $350 Million

Brett Wilson net worth: $300 Million
Old 05-31-2023, 02:17 AM   #1770
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

To think I used to dress like that.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:27 AM   #1771
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Maybe but i guarantee he has many many friends/associates with way more $$.

He has already owned a piece of an NHL team before.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:46 AM   #1772
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Pros: more bathrooms, bigger concourses, better food

Cons: everything will be 3 times the price.

And done. That’s the whole list and discussion. The money and politics is infinitely more relevant and interesting to discuss. There’s nothing about the actual arena experience that is really up for debate. At least not until the new renderings come out and people flip #### again.
Correct.

I mean yeah I guess it will be nice to have a bit more room in the concourses and a nicer aesthetic than the cinderblock and concrete motif. But a hockey game is already expensive AF to attend. Do I want to pay a ####-ton more for these small perks?

I go to watch hockey. If the beer is cold and the pocket dawgs hot, I can sit on wooden benches for all I care.

Billionaires need to eat too I guess.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:00 AM   #1773
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Correct.

I mean yeah I guess it will be nice to have a bit more room in the concourses and a nicer aesthetic than the cinderblock and concrete motif. But a hockey game is already expensive AF to attend. Do I want to pay a ####-ton more for these small perks?

I go to watch hockey. If the beer is cold and the pocket dawgs hot, I can sit on wooden benches for all I care.

That's such simplistic thinking. The entire experience is different in a new building and that's not just for the fans as it's for the players too. Better locker rooms, better training facilities, etc. This stuff matters to players because they play on the road and get to play in all the other new arenas. Conroy mentioned it's always part of the discussions when trying to attract players. The biggest issue with the dome is the roof. It may have seemed like a good idea at the time but it's simply no good for concerts and it's just no good in general as it makes for a bit of a claustrophobic feel when sitting up at higher levels because you are separated from the other side of the arena. It's just a straight up bad design and when you factor in how dated the rest of the facility is inside and out, it's really a no-brainer to replace it. Even with the jacked up pricing in Rogers Place, there are very, very few if any people in Edmonton that miss Northlands Coliseum as the game experiences are night and day better in the new arena.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 09:16 AM   #1774
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes - but they eat our money. It's the only thing they're good at...and for some (insane) reason, people think that's a wonderful accomplishment.

No, folks, it's just greed.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:18 AM   #1775
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's such simplistic thinking. The entire experience is different in a new building and that's not just for the fans as it's for the players too. Better locker rooms, better training facilities, etc. This stuff matters to players because they play on the road and get to play in all the other new arenas. Conroy mentioned it's always part of the discussions when trying to attract players. The biggest issue with the dome is the roof. It may have seemed like a good idea at the time but it's simply no good for concerts and it's just no good in general as it makes for a bit of a claustrophobic feel when sitting up at higher levels because you are separated from the other side of the arena. It's just a straight up bad design and when you factor in how dated the rest of the facility is inside and out, it's really a no-brainer to replace it. Even with the jacked up pricing in Rogers Place, there are very, very few if any people in Edmonton that miss Northlands Coliseum as the game experiences are night and day better in the new arena.
As much as all of that is correct - although some of it could be fixed internally - let the people who will make the money from it pay for the facility. But ... why, they cry, when we can use other people's money? OPM is the cheapeast, sleaziest way of building. But politicians, and the public that elect them are pretty gullible, so it all continues.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:19 AM   #1776
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So where are we at now in this never ending process?
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:21 AM   #1777
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Obviously simplistic and a bit facetious. But Cecil is right, the cost to attend hockey will be outrageous. The benefit to me, the fan, will be minimal.

I know the new rink was needed for all the reasons you listed, but for me personally, I don't need fancy digs. Just a big loud bowl with 20,000 of my closest friends screaming at hockey players.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 09:40 AM   #1778
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
So where are we at now in this never ending process?
According to Ryan Pike on Twitter, it sounds like all sides are hammering out the final contracts and the province is expected to give it final approval in a post-election "budget update" in August.

He's expecting to see a groundbreaking ceremony after next year's Stampede. That would make the opening date no earlier than 2026, but probably 2027 (maybe, midseason in 2026-27).
Old 05-31-2023, 09:54 AM   #1779
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Obviously simplistic and a bit facetious. But Cecil is right, the cost to attend hockey will be outrageous. The benefit to me, the fan, will be minimal.

I know the new rink was needed for all the reasons you listed, but for me personally, I don't need fancy digs. Just a big loud bowl with 20,000 of my closest friends screaming at hockey players.
I'm generally the same. While I get the reasons for a new arena, I know that I will be going to even fewer games than I am now. It's already hard to justify the costs of going to a Flames game as a family. Spending $3-400 for a night of mediocre mid-season hockey just comes across as poor value to me......which is why we haven't gone in a couple of years. For those who prioritize the product on the ice over all the fluff, the value proposition will be getting even worse.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 10:12 AM   #1780
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Who is going to miss the Northlands and Saddledome experience? Everyone that has been priced out, or will be priced out of attending more than the odd game moving forward.

Publicly funding this to the tune of ~70% so that we as fans can now basically exclude ourselves from regularly attending games (at least most fans) is just a bad move. Many markets in Canada and the USA have privately funded a substantial portion of their new buildings, if not entirely, so you can't say there is a precedent here either.

I suppose the city should be preparing $3B to fund the next new event center as early 2055? Modern engineering and construction now has a lifespan of only 30-35 years? It's all very needless and first world to be whining about this building that COULD be touched up and renovated to continue operating for a long while yet. If the team was going to front 50-60% of the cost it would at least be palatable, but these deal in Calgary and Edmonton are nothing short of highway robbery. Flames ownership must just be laughing all the way to the bank.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 05-31-2023 at 10:14 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post: