Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2023, 05:02 AM   #4001
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
This is silly

You’re really nickel and diming with the other minutes.

You know these multitude of other combinations include time when Tkachuk leaves the ice and some other winger hops on. Or even strength time where a usual linemate is in the box. Or double shifting guys when they shorten the bench. Guys always have a mix of time with other players due to various circumstances

No, he doesn’t play with bottom six centers. Typically teams send out one center and he is the center
I'm not nickel and dimming anything. The other line combos add up to over 40%. The reason why the other lines get so small of a percentage is that bottom six lines are commonly shuffled more.

Now keep in mind that Sam Bennett had 17:24 of ice time vs Tkachuk at 20:26. That's over an additional three minutes a night where they are choosing to play another center with Tkachuk.

Anyways I don't know why I keep getting sucked into this debate. I keep saying I think Bennett is a great mid line center with all sorts of jam and is exactly what you need to win in the playoffs. He's just not a legit number one center, and for some reason you have posters comparing him to 90+ point centers.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 10:23 AM   #4002
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting to hear Leslie mention that the Flames had Bennett 1st on their list in 2014 on the morning show
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 10:38 AM   #4003
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Interesting to hear Leslie mention that the Flames had Bennett 1st on their list in 2014 on the morning show
They likely knew they weren't going to get Ekblad, so that would leave Reinhart, Draisaitl, or Bennett falling to them at #4. Of those, Bennett seems like the most Calgary Flame-sy pick. Too bad they wouldn't let him play after they drafted him. Not every player needs to be a solid two way player.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:51 AM   #4004
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
They likely knew they weren't going to get Ekblad, so that would leave Reinhart, Draisaitl, or Bennett falling to them at #4. Of those, Bennett seems like the most Calgary Flame-sy pick. Too bad they wouldn't let him play after they drafted him. Not every player needs to be a solid two way player.
I took it as they had him ahead of Ekblad but you could be right as he was the one player in the big 4 that year who would never have dropped to 4th overall.

I won’t lie I remember that draft well and got pretty hammered with a couple of buddies and we cheered so loud when the Oil took Draisaitl because that meant Bennett was ours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 11:29 AM   #4005
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never had confirmation, but I've always just assumed that, just knowing the type of player he is (I wanted him over Crysaitl at the time too). I'm so relieved Edmonton passed us in the reverse standings on the final game of the season so they were picking before us: taking Bennett at #4 after Leon got taken at #3, is so much easier to process than Flames taking Bennett at #3 then Greasers taking Leon at #4. That stuff would keep you up at night.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 11:35 AM   #4006
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I never had confirmation, but I've always just assumed that, just knowing the type of player he is (I wanted him over Crysaitl at the time too). I'm so relieved Edmonton passed us in the reverse standings on the final game of the season so they were picking before us: taking Bennett at #4 after Leon got taken at #3, is so much easier to process than Flames taking Bennett at #3 then Greasers taking Leon at #4. That stuff would keep you up at night.
I think you are remembering the 2016 draft possibly? The Flames finished 10pts clear of the Oil in 2014
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 11:41 AM   #4007
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you are remembering the 2016 draft possibly? The Flames finished 10pts clear of the Oil in 2014
Yeah my bad. Actually I think the 2013 Draft was mixed in there too, as I was still living in Edmonton at the time with the Draft I was thinking about, and I moved back to Calgary that summer. Clearly I've drank a lot of beer and other stuff since then...

But either way I'm convinced we would've passed on Crysaitl for Bennett, so I'm happy Oilers went first.

Last edited by Sainters7; 05-30-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:20 PM   #4008
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
TBF Reinhart looked almost bustish for a while and Draisaitl was sent down his first season. And Ekblad didn't turn into Hedman. All 4 players looked less than stellar early on.

It'd be interesting to redraft that year. Bennett is riding high now, but he has far fewer points than a lot of guys including some with less games. With Pasta and Point in the mix he goes no higher than 5th but what about Larkin, Ehlers, Fiala, Nylander, Arviddson, Tuch, Schmalz?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:32 PM   #4009
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
TBF Reinhart looked almost bustish for a while and Draisaitl was sent down his first season. And Ekblad didn't turn into Hedman. All 4 players looked less than stellar early on.

It'd be interesting to redraft that year. Bennett is riding high now, but he has far fewer points than a lot of guys including some with less games. With Pasta and Point in the mix he goes no higher than 5th but what about Larkin, Ehlers, Fiala, Nylander, Arviddson, Tuch, Schmalz?
Draisatil, Pastrnak, Point, Larkin, Nylander, Ekblad all go before Bennett for sure. Devon Toews probably too.

Fiala, Ehlers, Arvidsson, Tuch, Kempe, Montour, Schmaltz could be argued.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:43 PM   #4010
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Draisatil, Pastrnak, Point, Larkin, Nylander, Ekblad all go before Bennett for sure. Devon Toews probably too.

Fiala, Ehlers, Arvidsson, Tuch, Kempe, Montour, Schmaltz could be argued.
Montour and Tuch absolutely go before Bennett. Tuch puts up a lot more points and brings lot of energy and jam himself. Early on in the season people were talking about the Eichel deal favoring Buffalo, because of Tuch alone.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:56 PM   #4011
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Montour and Tuch absolutely go before Bennett. Tuch puts up a lot more points and brings lot of energy and jam himself. Early on in the season people were talking about the Eichel deal favoring Buffalo, because of Tuch alone.
Based on this past season for sure.

But based on the whole body of work I'm not 100% sure.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:58 PM   #4012
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Probably still a top 10 pick in a redraft. Which considering such 4th overall gems such as Griffen Reinhart, Jesse Puuljubujubi, and Thomas Hickey. Is actually still pretty decent. Not every 4th overall pick is going to turn out like Makar .
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:02 PM   #4013
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesse RV was in the Matthews draft
Old 05-30-2023, 04:06 PM   #4014
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Jesse RV was in the Matthews draft
They were comparing 4th overall picks from other years.

butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 09:29 PM   #4015
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL Pavel Brendl
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:30 PM   #4016
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
LOL Pavel Brendl
I see your Brendl and raise you one Griffin Reinhart.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 12:25 PM   #4017
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear which scouts had Bennett 1st on their list, hopefully it wasn’t unanimous. Sam may have looked great in Kingston, but to me, the type of game he wanted to play did not look like it would translate well at the NHL level. Constantly going one on one, putting pucks between defender’s legs, trying to dipsy doodle around them.

To me, Draisaitl was the clear #1 guy. Obviously, it's easy to say that now seeing what he has accomplished thus far in his career. But he definitely b gbbnhad the type of game that could translate well from league to league. Played big, impossible to move, used his frame to protect pucks, vision, awareness. The plays he made were very transferable to the big leagues whereas Bennett’s game was not IMO. The only thing that held him back was his lack of polish in his skating and mobility which he fixed in spades. Even without McDavid, I still think he'd be a franchise center.

I wonder if the Flames scouts fell in love with the whole Doug Gilmour schtick, instead of paying attention to his potential shortfalls. Maybe it was Brian Burke, who knows. But he was never going to be the type of player he wanted to be. He didn't have the speed of Connor, the agility of Gaudreau or the hands of a Patrick Kane to be that type of player. Instead, it’s his truculence, motor and jam that’s made him into a good NHL hockey player and impact playoff performer.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:43 PM   #4018
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't Bennett the #1 prospect by central scouting?

Forgot he also lost a year of development due to his shoulder surgery.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #4019
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I wonder if the Flames scouts fell in love with the whole Doug Gilmour schtick, instead of paying attention to his potential shortfalls. Maybe it was Brian Burke, who knows. But he was never going to be the type of player he wanted to be. He didn't have the speed of Connor, the agility of Gaudreau or the hands of a Patrick Kane to be that type of player. Instead, it’s his truculence, motor and jam that’s made him into a good NHL hockey player and impact playoff performer.
What was the Doug Gilmour schtick? Bennett can't hold a candle to Doug Gilmour.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:53 PM   #4020
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
What was the Doug Gilmour schtick? Bennett can't hold a candle to Doug Gilmour.
Scouts compared Sam’s style of game to Doug Gilmour and because he played for Doug Gilmour’s Kingston team and obviously helped the Flames win their Cup, so there was that angle.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote