Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2023, 06:00 PM   #16081
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Signing players like that to long term cheap deals is a double edged sword. You better be sure they are very self motivated individuals because there is very little in the way of external motivation when you know you aren't getting a raise for the next 8 years even if you turn into a superstar point producer.
You're right, but if they don't have that self motivation then I wouldn't want them on the Flames anyway. GM's job to figure that out. I think Conroy can be good at that.

It's not as though sending $49 million to Kadri or $84 million to Huberdeau isn't risky.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:51 PM   #16082
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Buddy Robinson isn't responsible for that. Sequencing of wins and losses doesn't matter and winning the draft lottery is luck.
Pittsburgh beats Chicago they are in the playoffs.

Nuff said.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:54 PM   #16083
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Doesn't have to be dumba but someone. It's actually a decent list 9f UFA'S, some 2ill sign for sure but there is a decent list of available players.
It’s one of the worst group of UFA’s I’ve ever seen.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:11 PM   #16084
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're right, but if they don't have that self motivation then I wouldn't want them on the Flames anyway. GM's job to figure that out. I think Conroy can be good at that.

It's not as though sending $49 million to Kadri or $84 million to Huberdeau isn't risky.

While I agree it's the GMs job, I think most GMs when they get in the frame of mind of doing something, think about the positives and just do it. Especially the maverick type GMs. I did like the Conroy will take a team approach and get input from others so hopefully he doesn't fall into that trap or surround himself with yes men who will reinforce what he wants them to say. Kadri and Huberdeau were terrible signings because of their age. Most players wouldn't be able to motivate themselves after awhile as money just simply isn't a determining factor after signing that much. Combined with age, watch out.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:24 PM   #16085
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
For example, Ruzicka, 8x2.5. Who would say no? Pelletier 8x4? Get these players on board because those are the sort of contracts that can return value in spades. Like what Tre did with Lindholm and Hanifin.

It will be interesting to see how Conroy negotiates as a GM. Whenever Treliving had some kind of leverage he used it (for example, letting Gaudreau and Tkachuk miss training camps and signing them to shorter deals to save cap space in the short term).

It wouldn’t surprise me if Conroy goes a different direction after observing first hand how being a tough negotiator can sometimes backfire. For example, Gaudreau was ready to sign in the summer of 2021 but Treliving apparently was not anywhere close to the number that Gaudreau’s side wanted. Not saying Conroy will be a poor negotiator… just a different one. He might be more willing to pay that extra $1-2 million per year to get the extra couple years at the end for his young guys. This is becoming more and more common in the NHL (Ottawa and Buffalo, for example)

Treliving always seemed to do everything he could to get guys who were on the team already to sign extensions at lower cap hits even if it meant shorter term deals for them. Then he would use the cap savings to outbid other teams during free agency to get guys like Markstrom, Coleman, Neal, Brouwer and Frolik. Hindsight is 20/20 of course… but it would have probably been better for Treliving to not have that cap space available to overspend on some of those guys and instead have him go bargain hunting in free agency or let young guys take those roster spots. That money would have been better spent locking up guys like Gaudreau, Brodie, and Tkachuk for an extra couple years on their second NHL contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 08:33 PM   #16086
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And keep putting up 0.5 PPG? I hope so.
The guy struggled with motivation trying to earn an NHL job...8 years seems like a bad idea
Old 05-30-2023, 08:35 PM   #16087
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO, Ruzicka is one you keep and push up the line up. The consistency will click, he's too good when he is on. And, he wants to be here, which is a requirement of Conroy.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:57 PM   #16088
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Dubas ends up in Pittsburgh, I do wonder if we'll see Crosby dealt to his favourite team (Montreal) to finish off his career. Pittsburgh is probably in one of the worst states in the league, and it makes me wonder what Dubas could possibly do going there. Aging assets, little in the prospect pipeline, mediocre surrounding talent. Simply nothing to work with. If Crosby is given a chance to play with Montreal I can see him saying fine, which then leaves the door to dealing Malkin. Letang will just retire but I really think Pittsburgh needs to be open to all options.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:21 PM   #16089
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
If Dubas ends up in Pittsburgh, I do wonder if we'll see Crosby dealt to his favourite team (Montreal) to finish off his career. Pittsburgh is probably in one of the worst states in the league, and it makes me wonder what Dubas could possibly do going there. Aging assets, little in the prospect pipeline, mediocre surrounding talent. Simply nothing to work with. If Crosby is given a chance to play with Montreal I can see him saying fine, which then leaves the door to dealing Malkin. Letang will just retire but I really think Pittsburgh needs to be open to all options.

I doubt Crosby goes anywhere. Malkin and Letang just re signed last year to new deals, so the trio could stay together and try to go for another run. Also re signed is best friends to keep the captain happy.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:24 PM   #16090
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
I doubt Crosby goes anywhere. Malkin and Letang just re signed last year to new deals, so the trio could stay together and try to go for another run. Also re signed is best friends to keep the captain happy.

Yeah - I think the idea about Pittsburgh going for it again is crazy talk. Apparently on some talk shows they've been saying anything is possible with Crosby leading a team to make it all the way. I disagree. Pittsburgh is in a really bad spot when Rutherford traded away everything. Burke didn't stand a chance (not I think highly of him anyway). This is just a bad position to be in.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:24 PM   #16091
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
Run at what? Losing to the Hawks and Jackets in the final two games to miss the playoffs by one point?
Old 05-30-2023, 10:28 PM   #16092
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Travis Green in Calgary, No shocker here.

Flames PJ is juiced from PEI.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:47 PM   #16093
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Travis Green in Calgary, No shocker here.

Wait, are you saying Green is the guy?
Old 05-30-2023, 11:07 PM   #16094
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Wait, are you saying Green is the guy?

I could be wrong but he may just be saying he's in town interviewing.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 11:21 PM   #16095
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Sabres need a goalie and some defencemen. They did well in their trades for Eichel and ROR getting Thomson, Tuch and Krebs. They have some other decent drafted talent up front in Cozens, And they drafted two potentially great Dmen, but the rest is a big question mark. And goalies... They better hope Levi blossoms.
Samuelsson is a very good defensive d-man who plays big minutes paired with Dahlin. With the development arc Dahlin and Powers are on, that’s the making of one of the better d cores in the league. They have enough assets that they can fill out the depth by moving picks or prospects.

If the Sabres get halfway decent goaltending, they’re going to pop next season the way the Devils popped this year.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:33 PM   #16096
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post

Gallant bringing the ̶p̶i̶n̶e̶a̶p̶p̶l̶e̶s̶ pears from Summerside

Last edited by mile; 05-30-2023 at 11:37 PM.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:33 AM   #16097
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Controversial opinion- I wouldn't mind having Travis Green here. Even Jesus Christ would'nt be able to do anything with that Canucks locker-room.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 02:23 AM   #16098
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The guy struggled with motivation trying to earn an NHL job...8 years seems like a bad idea
Ruzicka puts up points at the same rate as the "legendary" Sam Bennett. Can play you some C. Style of game isn't really all that different. Maybe he struggled getting 8:57 of ice time against San Jose in December because of our fired coach?

I certainly wouldn't be upset if we had 8 more years of it at $2.5M. I'd rather offer long term deals to players like that than Brouwer, Neal, Hall (who a lot of people here wanted), Kadri, or whoever's the next 29+ year old shiny object.
Old 05-31-2023, 02:53 AM   #16099
schmaaadm
Draft Pick

Quote:
Ruzicka puts up points at the same rate as the "legendary" Sam Bennett. Can play you some C. Style of game isn't really all that different. Maybe he struggled getting 8:57 of ice time against San Jose in December because of our fired coach?

I certainly wouldn't be upset if we had 8 more years of it at $2.5M. I'd rather offer long term deals to players like that than Brouwer, Neal, Hall (who a lot of people here wanted), Kadri, or whoever's the next 29+ year old shiny object.
Are you actually comparing ruzicks to Bennet?? One guy goes through the wall for his teammates and the other disappears after being challenged by a coach. Adam can take a 1/2 year contract at or around league minimum or go play for an ahl team somewhere. We need guys who care, not guys who disappear.
schmaaadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:01 AM   #16100
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmaaadm View Post
Are you actually comparing ruzicks to Bennet?? One guy goes through the wall for his teammates and the other disappears after being challenged by a coach. Adam can take a 1/2 year contract at or around league minimum or go play for an ahl team somewhere. We need guys who care, not guys who disappear.
Players who care? Like the type that don’t ask to be traded out of Calgary? I’d agree.