Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2023, 11:54 AM   #241
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
When more than one ex Flames are making the difference, creating the greatest impact to the extent that the TNT commentator is shouting, “are you watching this Calgary?”, you’ve probably ####ed up pretty badly.
I missed that, is there a clip somewhere?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:04 PM   #242
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Canadian media took Kassian's side
This is something he's talked about as well. Multiple times he's mentioned "that's something I wouldn't be able to say if I was still in Canada" about something he had just said.

Can't remember which show it was on (Spittin Chiclets, maybe?), but he was telling a story about how he and Brady were at a bar that had this huge long fountain in front of (or near?) it, and how people there would always get drunk and challange someone to a swimming race in it. He was talking about how some guy challenged Brady and Brady destroyed the guy and how hilarious the whole thing was. Then was saying imagine the headlines if that had happened in Canada. It would have been this huge country-wide story, with TSN videos debating on "is this stuff good for the sport of hockey" etc etc.

He was like, "here though, nobody cares about that stuff. Like, everyone just has more important things to worry about than a hockey player swimming in a fountain." (I'm massively paraphrasing from memory, but that was the jist of it.)

He has a point though. I can already see the video in my head of Gino Reda and a random hockey expert talking about respecting public property and worrying about making the playoffs instead of having fun with your brother. Not to mention the twitter and IG polls and the blatantly click-baity SNET headlines etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2023, 01:21 PM   #243
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's definitely right. He is giving a specific example of what many of us mean when we say Canadian fans are terrible. Up here, you're always recognized, and you're always judged - it would get tiring. Down there, you're mostly incognito. And even if you are recognized, people aren't losing their #### over everything you say or do.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 01:26 PM   #244
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

After the Kings won the Cup, Doughty was asked in an interview how he felt about being a recognized star in LA now. He said he hated it. He said he liked LA much more before they won the Cup, and the players could be out in public doing their thing without worrying who was watching.

The Canadian market fishbowl is a big part of the reluctance of NHLers to play in Canada.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 01:27 PM   #245
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
He's definitely right. He is giving a specific example of what many of us mean when we say Canadian fans are terrible. Up here, you're always recognized, and you're always judged - it would get tiring. Down there, you're mostly incognito. And even if you are recognized, people aren't losing their #### over everything you say or do.
I wonder too about fan and media presence online now too. I know both Tkachuk and Gaudreau's families were both very active online, and when things are going good it's great...but when things go south it can be a lot.

I wonder about that with these guys when they are starting young families...do you want to start a family here where your kid is going to be "Gaudreau's kid" in every grade for their life.

Or do you go somewhere else where your kid is probably just another kid most days with the odd person knowing.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:04 PM   #246
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well Tkachuk is already becoming a legend in Florida and if they win the cup, I doubt he can go unnoticed even in Florida after that.

I remember back in the day when the team was bad Belfour and Peltonen went on a bender and tried to dismantle a firetruck and spend a night in the jail, it barely got any press. Nobody cared about the Panthers and you could definitely go incognito.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:13 PM   #247
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
After the Kings won the Cup, Doughty was asked in an interview how he felt about being a recognized star in LA now. He said he hated it. He said he liked LA much more before they won the Cup, and the players could be out in public doing their thing without worrying who was watching.

The Canadian market fishbowl is a big part of the reluctance of NHLers to play in Canada.
I mean, on the other side, I imagine there are also lots of benefits that come with being recognized when you go places in Canada, especially as a young, rich, single athlete.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:00 PM   #248
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have always thought the fish bowl scenario being a little bit of a stretch or if being an NHL player in quite markets being a unique scenario to pro sports.

Big names in big sports in big cities across the world are noticed and bothered, hounded, loved etc. Elite Futbol (soccer) players in Europe have to go to crazy lengths to go out on the town.

I recall seeing an interview where Tom Brady said he was so happy that when he came up in the early 2000's, nobody had the cell phone cameras of today to see him out on the town. Things are different now than they were 20+ years ago.

Perhaps the dream for athletes across the board is to play in the top leagues, in the best cities, making the most amount of money and winning championships without really being noticed.

That may be an NHL player in southern US states phenomenon but that really doesn't apply to other of the highest leagues in the world and the biggest names/stars.

The reason why people aren't recognizing you if your a elite, top athlete in your city is cause statistically speaking your sport doesn't register with the general public and people don't give a crap.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:12 PM   #249
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I have always thought the fish bowl scenario being a little bit of a stretch or if being an NHL player in quite markets being a unique scenario to pro sports.

Big names in big sports in big cities across the world are noticed and bothered, hounded, loved etc. Elite Futbol (soccer) players in Europe have to go to crazy lengths to go out on the town.

I recall seeing an interview where Tom Brady said he was so happy that when he came up in the early 2000's, nobody had the cell phone cameras of today to see him out on the town. Things are different now than they were 20+ years ago.

Perhaps the dream for athletes across the board is to play in the top leagues, in the best cities, making the most amount of money and winning championships without really being noticed.

That may be an NHL player in southern US states phenomenon but that really doesn't apply to other of the highest leagues in the world and the biggest names/stars.

The reason why people aren't recognizing you if your a elite, top athlete in your city is cause statistically speaking your sport doesn't register with the general public and people don't give a crap.
I think there's also a lot more to cover in an average American news cycle than there is up here, so not as much time or inches for Matthew Tkachuk's brother swimming in a fountain. Not to mention ESPN has a lot more to cover than TSN does. There are a lot more people in the States watching NFL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR, Soccer, actual college sports with fan support that rivals or even exceeds the major leagues... etc etc.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:19 PM   #250
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we change the thread title back? Cringe city
Old 05-29-2023, 08:29 PM   #251
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Can we change the thread title back? Cringe city
I'm still not sure if this thread was created as a joke or not...
Old 05-29-2023, 08:30 PM   #252
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are in a game 7 winner take all, and you can pick either McDavid or Tkachuk to be on your team. Who doesn’t take Tkachuk?
Old 05-29-2023, 08:38 PM   #253
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
You are in a game 7 winner take all, and you can pick either McDavid or Tkachuk to be on your team. Who doesn’t take Tkachuk?
Depends on which version of Tkachuk we’re getting. This new Florida version is something he never even came close to in Calgary.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 11:41 PM   #254
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1663236455123107876
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 12:16 AM   #255
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Well Tkachuk is already becoming a legend in Florida and if they win the cup, I doubt he can go unnoticed even in Florida after that.

I remember back in the day when the team was bad Belfour and Peltonen went on a bender and tried to dismantle a firetruck and spend a night in the jail, it barely got any press. Nobody cared about the Panthers and you could definitely go incognito.
I can assure you the average Joe wouldn't notice him walking down the street
Old 05-30-2023, 11:53 AM   #256
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The knife. It's deep and twisted enough.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:17 PM   #257
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

How bad does Sportsnet look right now? Had Tkachuk in Canada for 6 years playing the same style and giving the same interviews but painted him as a villain. Then one year in the states and the local media makes him the face of the game.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:48 PM   #258
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

I've always thought that hockey fans, or at least Flames fans, to be pretty respectful of players and their privacy.

I ran into Iginla 3 times to the point where he recognized me. Just by happenstance.

But all 3 times, its just like...'Hey Iggy! Have a good one!" And then I leave.

I ran into Phaneuf twice at the U of C, its just..."okay" and then you leave them alone.

I bumped into Kipper twice. Same thing. Just..."Huh...didnt expect that today but alright."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:45 PM   #259
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
How bad does Sportsnet look right now? Had Tkachuk in Canada for 6 years playing the same style and giving the same interviews but painted him as a villain. Then one year in the states and the local media makes him the face of the game.
Sportsnet puts a lot of their effort into our rival Oilers. So it was natural for them to make a star in calgary the villain.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:50 PM   #260
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Depends on which version of Tkachuk we’re getting. This new Florida version is something he never even came close to in Calgary.
It’s not like he was a 28 year old player languishing or anything. He was a really young player in the Flames showing steady improvement. It was obvious he was just starting to tap his potential in Calgary.

Tags
gio can't touch that , muzzin no good. , ref hate me , sandals to work , unicorns are real!