Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2023, 08:28 PM   #1
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default PC troubleshooting thread ?!?!?!?

Was searching for one, and didn't find a generalized troubleshooting thread, unless it just hasn't been bumped in ages.

So, here's my problem... and I apologize for missing specifics, as I am writing from work on my break.

My computer decided to stop working mid-stream. Monitor goes black. Can't even get the screen to come up to post, so there is no bios or software access.

Tried swapping gpus, changing pci-e position, alternating ram, changed cmos battery, checked monitor and swapped cables. Eventually took it in and tech guy said the motherboard was shot. So I went on kijiji and found the identical motherboard being sold. Swapped it out and same issue, only this time I'm also getting a vga led light and a boot led light come on, on the board.

2016 build
Asus pro gaming aura board
Hyperx ram
AMd chip
Gigabyte gpu, not powered

Any ideas?
Old 03-05-2023, 08:45 PM   #2
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Unfortunately you've swapped an apparently dead board with a motherboard that may or may not be good. Pull all RAM out except one stick and try again. Nothing else connected like hard drive, keyboard etc. only power supply and monitor.

edit - see page 24 of this manual also page 34 report back what you have happening with the diagnostic LEDs
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...pro_gamingaura

Last edited by zamler; 03-05-2023 at 08:50 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 06:37 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried a new power supply?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:49 AM   #4
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your heatsink isn't installed too tightly or with too little / too much thermal paste, is it? Try removing the heatsink, wiping all the thermal paste with 90% isopropyl, putting in new thermal paste (the size of a rice grain should do it), and then only finger-tighten the heatsink. If you need to use your wrist, you're overtightening, which prevents getting past POST

You may also have

- faulty ram, hence the above suggestion to try one stick at a time.
- a toasted processor. Might be damaged pins, might be something else. Tough to isolate
- faulty PSU, though in my experience that will still POST

Finally, when you installed the new motherboard, you made sure to ground yourself properly, right? Static can destroy a motherboard during installation.

Motherboard
RAM
CPU with cooling

These are the the three things that can prevent getting to your BIOS I think

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 03-06-2023 at 06:52 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:30 AM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had dead power supplies that light up the board, but don't POST.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:26 AM   #6
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've had dead power supplies that light up the board, but don't POST.
Makes sense, I guess it depends on the type/degree of damage

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:22 AM   #7
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the input. Between work and some family issues, I will get a chance to put these into action tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 03-06-2023, 12:05 PM   #8
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've recommended it before, but buying a $25 PSU tester on Amazon can save you a lot of headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 11:22 PM   #9
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dead or faulty ram and dead or faulty hard drive would be the first things I'd check.

I've spent hours on other stuff before only to realize those simple ones were the culprits.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:59 AM   #10
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you to everyone that helped with suggestions. I tried them on both motherboards, with 2 power supplies. The only component that I couldn't swap out with an alternative was the cpu. So, final judgment is that either I picked up a second motherboard on kijiji and got swindled, and they are both dead, or the cpu got fried somehow.

Here's my economical solution.

The components that are reusable and transferable are the case, hard drive, gpu, as well as fans and other accessories.

So, if I buy a motherboard in atx formfactor, the cheapest amd cpu to drop, and some basic ram, I think that I should be good to go. Am I missing anything?

https://www.newegg.ca/msi-b550-gamin...82E16813144574 at $150

https://www.newegg.ca/amd-ryzen-5-55...82E16819113737 at $120

https://www.newegg.ca/corsair-16gb-2...82E16820233859 $59

About 350 all in from Newegg. Is there anything that I'm forgetting?
Old 03-09-2023, 12:31 PM   #11
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some other parts to consider
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 04:36 PM   #12
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If you want this to be guaranteed to work, maybe buy a board and CPU combo at MemEx (they will price match and beat any same products on NewEgg) and ask them to mount it with your components into your case for a fee. They have a good policy if they are the ones who install the CPU because too many idiots have bought them, taken them home and bent the pins or crushed the CPU under their heatsink.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2023, 08:57 AM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
If you want this to be guaranteed to work, maybe buy a board and CPU combo at MemEx (they will price match and beat any same products on NewEgg) and ask them to mount it with your components into your case for a fee. They have a good policy if they are the ones who install the CPU because too many idiots have bought them, taken them home and bent the pins or crushed the CPU under their heatsink.
I literally believe they install it for free as long as you buy enough stuff from them for the pin bending reasons and other failure reasons you just described. If not, around a $50-75 fee is worth it, I agree. I agree to get Memex to do the basic mobo assembly stuff.

I had a buddy who for years I thought did his own PCs and stuff because he talked like he did. When I asked for additional information for doing something, he couldn't respond. Turns out, I know more than he does (and I don't feel comfortable in calling myself capable in this regards) and he's basically a part picker who gets Memex to assemble for him. The most he's done is swap around loose components like RAM and video cards and stuff. That's stuff I've done hundreds of times in PCs and laptops (he's never done laptops). He's never done thermal paste on a CPU in his entire life (vs I've personally done on PC and laptops 3-4 times but still think I suck at it). I got suspicious when I asked for some advice a couple times and it was all kinda ####ty or wrong advice in terms of determining fit in a PC.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 10:46 PM   #14
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, y'all. Upgraded the motherboard, cpu and memory at Memory Express for about 5 hundy, which they mounted for me. Borrowed a GPU from a friend, which might have been the root of the problem, but now I'm pretty much upgraded for whatever comes at me computer-wise, for the next little while.

Hardest part was making bootable usbs for setting up windows, using a chromebook running XP! Next bit is buying a new Windows 10 activation key and a couple of 6-pin connectors for the PSU, after which Bob's yer Uncle.