Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #21
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting times in leaf land. On the drive home, they were mentioning the scouting staff likely moving on also (tsn 1050)...

Last edited by bubbsy; 05-22-2018 at 05:34 PM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #22
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Reply to NEB

2. Not sure how you blame the goalies for accepting contract offers.
3. Stewart, Glass. Bartkowski wasn’t awful I guess, but pretty meh.

There is a case that we could look back on Tre as a positive stint, and possibly it could all turn out to be a waste 2-3 years from now.

Either way, my point was not that he wouldn’t find a job elsewhere, rather that he has not established enough to warrant a POHO job.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #23
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
With the 3 goalie fiasco, bad coaching choice, awful veteran free agent pickups, and last year’s very disappointing result, I think Treliving is far from being proven as a GM.

Who on earth would justify giving him a POHO position?
the three goalie problem was made worse by the fact Treliving chose three TERRIBLE goalies, lol. He'd look like a genius is at least one of them was decent.
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
the three goalie problem was made worse by the fact Treliving chose three TERRIBLE goalies, lol. He'd look like a genius is at least one of them was decent.
Ortio was a Sutter draft pick who'd looked pretty decent at times. Ramo was a Feaster trade, who was re-signed for cheap, who'd played great at times. Hiller was a Treliving signing that was widely praised at the the time, who had also played great at times.

IMO he expected two to make the team out of camp and when no one fell out (or more accurately no two excelled) he gave them more time to sort it out. Hiller got injured as well (a hip issue) and was gone between Oct. 28-Nov. 25, which is when Ortio got demoted, which no one seems to remember. Really, there were 3 goalies for only 2 weeks (during which time Ramo was also placed on waivers).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #25
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO the POHO position would allow Treliving to focus on his strengths (our organizational development, deal making, "the process") while bringing in a guy like Hunter to ramp up our pro scouting, development, and general hockey knowledge team. It would be a GM position in title only, as Treliving would definitely still have a lot of power, but it would be a GM position. I think it sounds great to me.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #26
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
IMO the POHO position would allow Treliving to focus on his strengths (our organizational development, deal making, "the process") while bringing in a guy like Hunter to ramp up our pro scouting, development, and general hockey knowledge team. It would be a GM position in title only, as Treliving would definitely still have a lot of power, but it would be a GM position. I think it sounds great to me.
You think a guy who wants to be GM will come in to.. not be GM?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #27
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
None of the goalies were terrible heading into that season. Hiller had just carried us to the second round of the playoffs, Ramo had given us some solid play in of round two, and IMO Ortio was a better prospect than Jon Gillies who had a great mix of positional play, athletic play, and that year his puck handling had taken some real steps.

I blame Tre for some things that season (The mishandling of Paul Byron, Brett Kulak), I blame Hartley for others (the penalty kill), and the goalies do take a brunt of the blame for how things shook out (Hiller losing all talent, Ortio being unable to flip a switch given backup deployment, Ramo being unable to find another gear early on when the team put their faith in him), but I probably would have ended up painted into a corner with that three goalie monster myself.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #28
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
None of the goalies were terrible heading into that season. Hiller had just carried us to the second round of the playoffs, Ramo had given us some solid play in of round two, and IMO Ortio was a better prospect than Jon Gillies who had a great mix of positional play, athletic play, and that year his puck handling had taken some real steps.

I blame Tre for some things that season (The mishandling of Paul Byron, Brett Kulak), I blame Hartley for others (the penalty kill), and the goalies do take a brunt of the blame for how things shook out (Hiller losing all talent, Ortio being unable to flip a switch given backup deployment, Ramo being unable to find another gear early on when the team put their faith in him), but I probably would have ended up painted into a corner with that three goalie monster myself.
That is why Treliving is paid to make tough decisions.

This to me was unacceptable, as there are 3 goalies and 2 nets and for the first month of the season, the coaches couldn’t go and have a simple normal practice. Not good for the goalies, and not good for the team.

I don’t see too many other GMs who painted themselves in the corner like that.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #29
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You think a guy who wants to be GM will come in to.. not be GM?
I think a guy who might not get offered another GM job would be thankful for the title and expanded role, and might take it to get further league wide. I don't really understand the scorn here, did none of you have to take some diagonal paths while trying to move up in your career? It's easier to get an expanded GM role with full power if you've been successfully operating as a GM (even if only in name) elsewhere.

Calgary and CSEC aren't small players on the league scale, BB wouldn't have taken the role he did if so, and M.Edwards has been a leading voice on the ownership side for quite a while. Add in Brad and the overall city's connections with hockey Canada and it might be enough to get him over here.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #30
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
That is why Treliving is paid to make tough decisions.

This to me was unacceptable, as there are 3 goalies and 2 nets and for the first month of the season, the coaches couldn’t go and have a simple normal practice. Not good for the goalies, and not good for the team.

I don’t see too many other GMs who painted themselves in the corner like that.
The Islanders had a 3 goalie monster the same year. Except they got a .925 from Greiss and a .919 from Halak and a .915 from JFB

No one would have predicted Hiller would fall off from a .918 to a .879 - he was the worst goalie in the NHL that year and it's not even close.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #31
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
2. Agreed on GG but the jury is still out on Peters
Nonsense! Didn't you see that massive thread here on CP running Peters out of town before he was even hired? Of course he was a bad choice. Why, he hasn't won even one single game as coach of the Flames, the bum. Clearly Treliving deserves to be fired for that alone.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:55 PM   #32
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
He has ownership of the Knights as well. I'm not sure how lucrative that is, but if there's any OHL team I'd want to own it's definitely them.
You live in London and wonder that? Those guys print money!!
Old 05-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #33
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Whenever someone, anyone, in hockey becomes available there will be people that always try and plug them into the Flames somehow.
He did win a Cup with the Flames...
Old 05-27-2018, 07:54 PM   #34
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Interesting times in leaf land. On the drive home, they were mentioning the scouting staff likely moving on also (tsn 1050)...
Yeah it's very interesting. The Leafs are making a lot of changes after they've had success and shown consistent improvement so one has to wonder if they're doing the right thing here or being premature and over excited.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #35
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Yeah it's very interesting. The Leafs are making a lot of changes after they've had success and shown consistent improvement so one has to wonder if they're doing the right thing here or being premature and over excited.
It's not like they are bring in new people though. They are just promoting from within.

Dubas was always going to be the future GM. He has been running the Marlies since working for the Leafs and they look pretty good to me. He deserves to be GM.

Pridham basically just has a title chance with a higher pay.

Gilman I had never heard of before but from the interviews I have read he sounds great and is likely on the same page as Dubas.

So far I really like what they have done with the management.

People talk like Hunter was some supper scout but really outside of the first round he didn't do much. It's crappy he had to leave but I'm glad they picked Dubas.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote