Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #41
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll probably hate it like after seeing it like TLJ, but for now I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I want to see the old villains back in a real role (besides Clone Wars).. (Jabba, Bossk, Dengar, IG-88, Zuckuss, 4-LOM, and even Boba) I need my "comfort food". Rogue One is my favorite of the new movies
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
I'll probably hate it like after seeing it like TLJ, but for now I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I want to see the old villains back in a real role (besides Clone Wars).. (Jabba, Bossk, Dengar, IG-88, Zuckuss, 4-LOM, and even Boba) I need my "comfort food". Rogue One is my favorite of the new movies
I liked them in the Clone Wars, though the best bounty hunter was Cad Bane.

I also liked how they completely vilified the Tandoshians in the story arch where they were hunting Ashoka.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #43
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the odds Lobot makes an appearance as well?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #44
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any doubt that Woody Harrelson is actually the antagonist?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #45
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Is there any doubt that Woody Harrelson is actually the antagonist?
He could be a Yondu without the blue makeup. Takes Solo under his wing. Is a criminal, but has a good heart and ultimately wants the best for Solo.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #46
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
He could be a Yondu without the blue makeup. Takes Solo under his wing. Is a criminal, but has a good heart and ultimately wants the best for Solo.
I get the impression from Han in Episodes 4-6 that he doesn't trust a lot of people.

Of course it could be Emilia Clarke.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #47
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What are the odds Lobot makes an appearance as well?
I would think not much, Lando is a long way from Cloud City.

I also think that this movie ends with Han winning the falcon and up until that point its Lando's ship. The last scene is Han taking ownership and saying something to Chewie.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

according to this(and I have no idea the accuracy or source)
Quote:
However, he eventually began working with the smuggler Lando Calrissian aboard the Millennium Falcon, running numerous criminal jobs.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lobot

So they could potentially use him.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #49
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Things that could come across and be clarified.

1) How Han won the Falcon in a game of Sabaac, and did he cheat to win the ship?

2) They can certainly do the Kessel run and clean up the whole Parsecs thing since that's a measure of distance instead of time. So clearly its a navigation record instead of a speed record. So Han is going to find a short cut through the Kessell run.

In the EU Kessel was surrounded by a bunch of black holes and it was nearly impossible to navigate it.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #50
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Things that could come across and be clarified.

1) How Han won the Falcon in a game of Sabaac, and did he cheat to win the ship?

2) They can certainly do the Kessel run and clean up the whole Parsecs thing since that's a measure of distance instead of time. So clearly its a navigation record instead of a speed record. So Han is going to find a short cut through the Kessell run.

In the EU Kessel was surrounded by a bunch of black holes and it was nearly impossible to navigate it.
I was wondering if that shot of the Star Destroyer in the stellar clouds was supposed be a shot of the Falcon being chased through the Maw cluster.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #51
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I was wondering if that shot of the Star Destroyer in the stellar clouds was supposed be a shot of the Falcon being chased through the Maw cluster.
It could be, however have they changed the Maw Cluster to a monster habitat?

Old 02-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #52
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was the first commercial I watched during the Super Bowl yesterday and I kept waiting for it to turn into a Bud Light ad.....
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #53
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Longer version of the teaser, that doesn’t have all the same scenes for some reason. Looks alright — can’t help but feel the last line of the teaser is a little bit ‘meta’ about it’s development!
That's Disney's go to trick for humour - characters stopping to point out the ridicuousness of what's happening right in the middle of whatever is going on. It's starting to get a bit old, since you're seeing it now in all their franchises.

That said, this looks like a lot of fun, and has an interesting and unique feel to it. I dig the theme music also. Makes me think of Tron or something along those lines. Also a superstar cast!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #54
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's looking like the main trilogy movies are going to be cliched fluff, while the off-year standalones - Rogue One and now Solo - are going to be more gritty and thoughtful.
Also worth taking into account that there is a lot less pressure on the standalone features as they're there to expand the universe around the OT, also more room for creativity, and since they're single features you get the beginning, middle and end put into the same movie which often allows for more satisfaction overall.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #55
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm disappointed. They should have used Sean Monahan as Han Solo! At least the voice.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to badradio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #56
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
I'm disappointed. They should have used Sean Monahan as Han Solo! At least the voice.
*thinks back on Monahan's acting chops from commercials*

And yet, I'd still watch it.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 11:02 PM   #57
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This looks to be just another action movie with characters that happen to be from Star Wars. Hopefully it aims higher.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #58
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I think this could be great, Disney already has somewhat of a story set out, so they can't make too much important plot bs up like they did with Last Jedi. They could make a great movie without bad plot decisions
savardandjokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #59
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I think this could be great, Disney already has somewhat of a story set out, so they can't make too much important plot bs up like they did with Last Jedi. They could make a great movie without bad plot decisions
Rumors are that Disney has grave concerns about the film. They already fired both original directors after they had filed 85% of the movie and then re-shot a lot of it with Ron Howard. They were also unhappy with the Alden Ehrenreich's (Han) performance and hired an acting coach for him.

I've seen Alden Ehrenreich do great performances in other films before so I don't doubt his ability but it sounds like the original director's had a more comedic/sardonic approach to the film and maybe he couldn't quite figure out the tone. It's also hard trying to fill Harrison's shoes.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #60
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's always going to be a real difficulty in filming a prequel or even a sequel that involves a iconic character or actor that you have to replace.

Look at replacing Jodie Foster in the sequel to Silence of the Lambs, Julieanne Moore couldn't make it work because fans wanted Jodie Foster.

However it has been done before with Ford in the young Indiana Jones Chronicles with Sean Patrick Flannery who did a good job of being a young Jones.

Here's my concern with this film I guess. I'm worried that they're going to take away a key moment from ANH, in that Solo is a down on his luck cynical only care about the money moment, and doesn't have that heroic change until later in the film when he comes back.

If they make his intentionally heroic and caring in this film, it takes away from that moment in The original trilogy, where he walked through that door to not just being about the money and evolved from there.

I think that really Solo in this moment has to not give a crap about anything but the payday, and I believe that there has to be an opportunity at selfless heroism that he walks away from and doesn't come back to for it to work.

They need to build that hard jaded down on his luck space jerk.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: