Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-13-2017, 02:45 AM   #81
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Plett View Post
Calgary has gotten bigger and much more expensive but definitely not better.
I totally agree with this
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:58 AM   #82
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

I lived in Calgary all my life but moved to Australia about 5 years ago. I went to about 5-10 games per season (for about 5 years) and watched the rest of the games on TV, but since moving here, there's just less time to watch games and there are other sports there that have gotten my interest (rugby, NRL, etc.).

If they moved (which they won't), I would probably stop watching and find another team.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:15 AM   #83
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

The people running the League are pretty much doing everything they can to kill any interest I have in the NHL.

If we lose the Flames, that is my interest in NHL hockey killed stone dead.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 AM   #84
cofias
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

As a Swede who has never visited Calgary, Canada or even NA for that matter, my allegiances would probably just follow the team wherever it went, pretty much. At first I was taken aback by the idea of the team moving but I really have no connection to Calgary whatsoever, tangible or otherwise. I would have preferred if the team stayed in Canada, but I guess Washington state isn't too bad of an option.

Besides, if I stopped following the Flames I would probably just stop watching hockey altogether outside of a few games in the playoffs, and I don't really want to do that. No other team interests me at this point.

Overall, it's an unfortunate situation, but I'm not quite sure where I stand on the issue since it's so complex. It may be hard to expect ownership to fully cover such a poor business investment from a purely financial POV, but on the other hand I'm against the idea of corporate welfare unless it's clearly for the greater good of the people. In this case it would be hard to say that it is.

I hope it never becomes an issue. Hopefully, worst case, there are other potential owners who would keep the team here long term, who are more willing to pay for their own toys.
cofias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cofias For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #85
Steveyoto
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Nope. I would actively cheer against them.

I have already adopted LGK as my second team (never had one before) to cheer for. IF the Flames leave I will go hard for the Golden Knights.
Steveyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:00 AM   #86
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would follow them in the same sense that I "follow" the Capitals, Stars, Penguins, Lightning, Sharks, Kings, Blackhawks etc...

I would stop being a diehard fan the very day they leave. I would not become an Oilers fan or Canucks fan. I would not become a Jets fan or Leafs fan or Sens fan or Habs fan.

I would become a casual NHL fan who would rather watch the Toronto Raptors' treadmill than truly cheer for an NHL team.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 09-13-2017 at 07:02 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #87
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spent lots & lots of time working in Winnipeg, unfortunately a high amount of people I worked with lost interest with the "Jets" and simply were not "Avalanche" fans.

I expect the same would occur with the Flames if they relocated

Hard core fans most likely will keep interest, many of the others will not.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #88
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

No. But it's an empty threat so I'm not worried about it in the first place.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #89
codfather
Farm Team Player

Exp:

It would depend on the reason for leaving, which in this case is because the city won't give billionaires a truck load of money for a new arena. If this happens, then no, the Flames will be dead to me. I'll still hate the Oilers and Canucks (in that order) but the Flames would probably take over third spot, moving Anaheim up to fourth.

If this happens, CSEC better move ALL of their teams. The Hitmen, Stamps, and Roughnecks will all be dead to me. They won't get another dollar from me, just disdain for anything attached to them.
codfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #90
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
No. But it's an empty threat so I'm not worried about it in the first place.
I don't believe for a second this is an empty threat.

Once its used, the Flames owners have stated their position.

It will be interesting to hear the reply from the Mayor.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #91
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Getting way ahead of things here. The Flames are still viable today and until the next lockout. In some way shape or form they can likely tread water for at least 10 more years in the Dome. Short term they won't be going anywhere. Today is a bad attempt to pressure politicians weeks before a municipal election

Enjoy today. The team should be as good in the next two years as they've been in any of the past 25.
I don't agree with this. I feel the ownership is seriously considering Seattle and with that arena going through they realize this is the best relocation option that they will ever have (Seattle is a much better market than KC and after that the options don't look that great) and that they probably have a two year window to either get something done in Calgary or Seattle. It's an ideal geographical location in that it's very close to the border, not far from Calgary, and it's the 14th largest television market in the US. If they sit and wait 5+ years they will be out of viable options to relocate and they won't want to let the Seattle opportunity slip through their fingers as Seattle is going to get a team and it's just a matter of when and what team relocates.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-13-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #92
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
I don't believe for a second this is an empty threat.

Once its used, the Flames owners have stated their position.

It will be interesting to hear the reply from the Mayor.
It is 100% an empty threat. The purpose is to manipulate you into being scared, and therefore to put pressure on Nenshi and the city.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #93
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
If Ken continued to be an obnoxious crybaby and the hypothetical move came to fruition, would you continue to be a fan?

I'm really not sure I would to be honest.
I think calling Ken that is a little over the top. The Flames ownership group have spent their own money to research and promote new facilities badly needed in this city and have been stonewalled at every turn by our poor excuse for a mayor. Even when Nenshi suggests Vic Park the CSEG puts a plan together and he has a problem with that. We have a mayor that has no issue spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on ridiculous art pieces in this city that have no ROI or just recently saying a new jail facility is needed at the tune of $85 million that has no ROI. Sure why help fund something that the CSEG wants to contribute to that has continuous revenue and income sources for the people of this city? Our mayor is a fool!
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #94
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is 100% an empty threat. The purpose is to manipulate you into being scared, and therefore to put pressure on Nenshi and the city.
Oh its an negotiating tactic for sure.... My guess this situation will get worse....

Its used to force the City to reply and come to the table.

Tactic won't work, if its perceived as "empty"
Old 09-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #95
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not from Calgary but I'm a Flames fan and always have been. If the team ever did more then I'd be a fan of the team wherever they moved to. I hope they don't move but at the end of they day as a fan of the team, I'll support them wherever they move to.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #96
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Oh its an negotiating tactic for sure.... My guess this situation will get worse....

Its used to force the City to reply and come to the table.

Tactic won't work, if its perceived as "empty"
The tactic also won't work if the majority become angry at the Flames rather than the city. And that seems to be the case based on response here and on Reddit, at least.

My guess is that Nenshi will come out today and reiterate what he's said in the past then will say the city will still be here when the Flames are ready to resume negotiations. The Flames will probably snipe back. Then nothing will happen for a few days.

After that, they either decide the plan has backfired and just shut up, or they decide to go whole hog and King burns what little credibility he has left trying to keep this an issue right up to October 16. Then another period of quiet until some time in November or December when the Flames announce they will resume talks with the "new" city council.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #97
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The tactic also won't work if the majority become angry at the Flames rather than the city. And that seems to be the case based on response here and on Reddit, at least.

My guess is that Nenshi will come out today and reiterate what he's said in the past then will say the city will still be here when the Flames are ready to resume negotiations. The Flames will probably snipe back. Then nothing will happen for a few days.

After that, they either decide the plan has backfired and just shut up, or they decide to go whole hog and King burns what little credibility he has left trying to keep this an issue right up to October 16. Then another period of quiet until some time in November or December when the Flames announce they will resume talks with the "new" city council.
My guess....

Nenshi will come out and state he supports the Arena and believes its provides huge benefit...

However he will also make a statement about public money....

I don't believe the Flames will be the one to come back to the table.

Owners are dictating the process not Ken King.

They are extremely experienced at this type of thing....
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #98
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What you are ignoring is that the Flames owners simply will not accept what the city has put forth and as long as Nenshi is mayor that's not going to change. If the plan backfires there is absolutely no way the Flames go back to negotiating with their tails between their legs. They will move to Seattle. I expect the Seattle rumors to begin shortly after Nenshi is re-elected.

I just went through this on Raiders forums where for a few years Oakland residents said Mark Davis's threats were 100% empty just like you. When he visited San Antonio they laughed it off as a negotiating tactic. They knew that the NFL didn't want them in LA so they felt once the Rams got that deal that Davis would have to raise the white flag and accept whatever the city would give them. They didn't even believe the Vegas threats.......until it happened and they all flipped out. It was interesting to see as an outsider as the Oakland people really thought the Raiders would never move just like a lot of fans here believe the Flames won't. Mark Davis really, really wanted to stay in Oakland but the mayor of that city was never truly interested in getting a deal done and now the team is moving to Las Vegas. The Flames really want to stay in Calgary but the mayor of this city really isn't interested in getting a deal done. Sounds familiar.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #99
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't agree with this. I feel the ownership is seriously considering Seattle and with that arena going through they realize this is the best relocation option that they will ever have (Seattle is a much better market than KC and after that the options don't look that great) and that they probably have a two year window to either get something done in Calgary or Seattle. It's an ideal geographical location in that it's very close to the border, not far from Calgary, and it's the 14th largest television market in the US. If they sit and wait 5+ years they will be out of viable options to relocate and they won't want to let the Seattle opportunity slip through their fingers as Seattle is going to get a team and it's just a matter of when and what team relocates.
After paying a relocation fee (500 million USD?) and not having the attendance like you do in Calgary I highly doubt they will make money by moving the team to Seattle.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:03 AM   #100
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I almost stopped watching hockey because of the lockout. The Flames leaving will be the final straw.