Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 09-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #241
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
A half step faster and two inches taller. I agree that he has an NHL career, but I don't think he has Valimaki's upside. Or Fox's or Kylington's for that matter. Very solid and smart player, but only good, not great, tools.
Agreed. I think the biggest mistake we made in the prospect poll this summer was ranking Andersson 3rd ahead of Juuso. I'm starting to buy into the Fox hype but I just haven't seen him enough personally to have good handle on him. Kylington has a bigger upside than Andersson but his game still has more warts than Andersson's does.

Great group of prospects to have especially considering they're all coming up behind one of the best top 5's in the league. No pressure to stick them in too early and great depth in case of injuries. Of course leave it to a former defenseman (Treliving) to emphasize that area. Love the depth on D and in goal. Imagine in 03/04 if we could have had depth like this instead of relying on Commodore, Montador and Brennan Evans. Depth makes contenders and we're starting to get to the point where we have contending depth at all the key positions. Only our depth at wing is a big question mark but we still do have some intriguing guys there with Foo, Poirier, Klimchuk, Mangiapane, etc.

Exciting time to be a Flames fan, that's for sure.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #242
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default 2017 Young Stars Classic: Jets vs Flames. 11:30 AM MT. calgaryflames.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
A half step faster and two inches taller. I agree that he has an NHL career, but I don't think he has Valimaki's upside. Or Fox's or Kylington's for that matter. Very solid and smart player, but only good, not great, tools.

The really good news is that the Flames number one defenseman for the next decade is already playing in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #243
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not too sold on the Andersson hype. Just something about him that gives me pause that hey can be a regular NHLer. He looks a bit slow out there and a bit undersized. Reminds me a of poor man's Ryan Ellis.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #244
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The really good news is that the Flames number one defenseman for the next decade is already playing in the NHL.
So is the arguably just as good #2.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #245
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone who missed the Andersson mic'd up segment...

Boeser: "In the show they don't call that."
Andersson: "Oh, because you've played five games in the show?"

Old 09-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #246
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course the ####ing ad plays fine and then the video doesn't work. Awesome.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #247
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Of course the ####ing ad plays fine and then the video doesn't work. Awesome.
Here's the timestamp of the moment it starts in the YouTube stream:

https://youtu.be/RgfOlLqGwoI?t=2162
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #248
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I'm not too sold on the Andersson hype. Just something about him that gives me pause that hey can be a regular NHLer. He looks a bit slow out there and a bit undersized. Reminds me a of poor man's Ryan Ellis.
It's probably jus gas...
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #249
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Mason McDonald (72). I try not to get too down on prospects, especially goaltenders, but MacDonald is a massive disappointment. Gives up too many softies.
I agree with your entire post aside from Mason McDonald. Two of the three goals he let in were fluky goals, and I thought he did very well considering how well his team played in front of him.

0.912% is pretty good when your team is playing like garbage. McDonald is someone who I have gained hope for, after watching him in this tournament.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #250
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I agree with this assessment. The great news is for the Flames that the top prospects all performed well. No unpleasant surprises or disappointments in that category.

Jankowski did himself a lot of favours in my view - he'll be viewed as someone who should make the team out of camp, I think.
I just don't see it unless he is playing wing. Tre has already said they see Bennett as a C and that is where he will play so add that to Monahan and Backlund and where does he fit? Do we want him playing 4th line minutes or would we rather him play top line minutes another year in the AHL? I am thinking the latter, not like you are going to overcook him down there, the Red Wings have been great at giving guys extra time at the A level.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #251
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
For anyone who missed the Andersson mic'd up segment...

Boeser: "In the show they don't call that."
Andersson: "Oh, because you've played five games in the show?"

Lol. Andersson's got some funny smack talk.

"Good dump, eh? 79. That's a good dump.... You're having a rough start."

I also like that his English accent is uber Canadian.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #252
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I just don't see it unless he is playing wing. Tre has already said they see Bennett as a C and that is where he will play so add that to Monahan and Backlund and where does he fit? Do we want him playing 4th line minutes or would we rather him play top line minutes another year in the AHL? I am thinking the latter, not like you are going to overcook him down there, the Red Wings have been great at giving guys extra time at the A level.

I disagree good sir.
NHL competition. Coaches. Systems. Players.

The A is a good league, but still a downgrade no matter the minutes and it seems as if he is going to give someone on the roster 6 foot 4 nightmares.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #253
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Couldn't disagree more.

The poise he shows for his age, slowing the game down, making the right decision more often than not, the offensive prowess....

He was and is very impressive for a young d-man.

The skating can improve. Beyond that he's well beyond his years at this point. I have no doubts he'll make the team in a few years.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #254
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default 2017 Young Stars Classic: Jets vs Flames. 11:30 AM MT. calgaryflames.com

Quote:
I don't think Detroit is such a great example of a successful developing organization any more. And I see no problem with starting Jankowski on the wing. If he is good enough to play he should be on the team.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-12-2017 at 08:43 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #255
Ring of Fire
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Forwards

Brett Pollock [60]

-Looked confident coming off his two goal performance. Showed good speed.

Brad Morrison [84]

-Good speed & hustle.

Matthew Phillips [47]

-Gets hit quite a bit but keeps bouncing back up. A few nice passes that weren't converted.

Dillon Dube [59]

-More confident with each game. Speed to burn and tried some creative moves in the o-zone. Scored a nice goal after a quick move from the side boards. Really trying to stand out and make a difference on every play.

Glenn Gawdin [80]

-Solid on face offs again.

Spencer Foo [15]

-Continued to use speed to generate offence. Good plays at both ends of the ice.

Mark Rassell [50]

-Some good speed and hustle.

Ben Hawerchuk [97]

-Involved after the whistle. Good hustle. Tried to stand out.

Hunter Smith [71]

-Didn't stand out

Sam Dove-McFalls [89]

-Didn't stand out

Adam Ruzicka [63]

-Didn't stand out. Not much offense without a playmaker on his line.

Zack Fischer [48]

-I like his game again. Skates well and handles the puck well for a bigger power guy. I'll be interested to see if he goes pro this year.

Defence

Juuso Valimaki [42]

-Quiet game. Still solid.

Rasmus Andersson [54]

-Quiet, solid game.

Josh Healey [85]

-Continued his tough physical play. Best of his 3 games. Good skater.

Kayle Doetzel [43]

-Consistent, predictable play.

Adam Ollas-Mattsson [68]

-Smoothest he's looked out of the 3 games. Some nice skating and passes for zone exits.

Tyson Helgesen [78]

-Didn't stand out in a bad way. Positioning seemed decent. Looked to have best mobility of the invitee d-men.

Goalies

Mason McDonald [72]

-Hard to judge based on the single game. Made some good saves. Some tough bounces. 3rd goal from Winnipeg didn't look good on him.
Ring of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ring of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 10:40 PM   #256
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

My problem with McDonald's game is that, every time I see him, he seems to have a hard time tracking the puck. He looked behind him several times after making the initial save, and a couple of those goals were on him because he couldn't find where the puck was after he stopped it. His rebound control is also subpar.

He gives off a very defeatist body language, and I don't think he has the mental toughness right now to be even a decent AHL goalie TBH.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 11:22 PM   #257
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
My problem with McDonald's game is that, every time I see him, he seems to have a hard time tracking the puck. He looked behind him several times after making the initial save, and a couple of those goals were on him because he couldn't find where the puck was after he stopped it. His rebound control is also subpar.

He gives off a very defeatist body language, and I don't think he has the mental toughness right now to be even a decent AHL goalie TBH.
Agreed! The view from my seat, between whistles, he would take off his mask and the look on his face was kinda like he was unimpressed and just going through the motions. Now, that being said, he was pretty busy, and the puck was in his zone an awful lot. And in his defense, alot of goalies have resting b**ch face between play, but something about it looked off, and I took it as him being out of his depth a bit. There was no swagger/confidence there. I think he's further away from being an AHL goalie then schneider.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #258
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Agreed! The view from my seat, between whistles, he would take off his mask and the look on his face was kinda like he was unimpressed and just going through the motions...

Oh, come on.

There is nothing wrong with being critical of how a player is playing, but to raise questions or concerns because he looks sad is anecdotal nonsense.

My expectations for McDonald are quite low, but he had a pretty good outing the other day. I am interested to see how he does in camp this year—if he has improved, that is a good sign and a step forward.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #259
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't mind him playing wing, or switching on and off on the fourth line C with Stajan (who could also be moved to wing). Calgary's fourth line is going to be one of the better ones in the league. The way things presently shake out, that fourth line could include Stajan, who's a solid vet, Lazar, who has skill, Brouwer, who has experience, and something to prove, Versteeg, who is a very decent player, or maybe Foo.

Jankowski is ready for the NHL either way IMO. And I'm one who was pretty cautious about expectations for him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #260
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

The young stars is losing its value with the loose roster rules.

The Jets (and the other 2 teams had no skaters that played in the AHL last season)

The only player dressed for the Jets that has an outside chance of getting a solid look in the main camp is Poolman.

The guys that would have been in the tournament had the Jets used the Flames criteria would have been : Connor, Rosolvic, De Leo, Lemieux, Noiger

The guys that the Flames would not have brought to the tournament had they followed the Jets criteria would be Jankowski, Pollok, Mangiapane, Hunter Smith and Andersson. Andersson and Kylington might qualify as they are entering the first year of their ELC

Jankowski, turns 23 tomorrow is playing out the last year of his ELC.

The Flames sending him to this tournament looks to be an effort to pump him up to get him ready for main camp.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post: