Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #161
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So Willis had a puff piece. No surprise. How does that make Wilson's obsessive drivel any better? There was nothing of value in it either.

"Hey, it isn't a puff piece' is not an argument to justify spending money on a bad article.
Well as a Flames fan, I currently have available to me many options of articles or blogs I can read that can make me feel good about the team or certain players. That's fun from time to time, but sometimes I also like to read something that challenges my preconceptions and may not always be what I want to hear. Wilson doesn't just focus on Brouwer or the negative, but I feel like his articles have weight to them.

I guess if you don't like Kent Wilson, don't subscribe. It may not be for everyone.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #162
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
Right on cue, today's subject: Don't worry guys, Lucic is totally going to be better this season.
Bob Mackenzie asked Chiarelli to grade Lucic's last season and Chia said a solid 6/10 lol
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #163
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait to see the reaction 20 games in when Wilson writes a negative piece about Michael Stone.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #164
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I guess if you don't like Kent Wilson, don't subscribe. It may not be for everyone.
Well that's kind of a weird statement to make. This whole thread is about this new publication coming to Calgary, and the discussion is centred around who's writing for them, how the quality is going to be and whether fans should pony up and subscribe.

It sounds more like you don't want a writer you like being critiqued because otherwise you're asking for the entire premise of the thread to cease, which would be absurd, right?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #165
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure what you're looking for me to say. I don't care if you critique Wilson. I'm happy he joined the Athletic and he is a big reason I subscribed. That's all I'm saying. I know I can't convince you to like a writer.

If you don't like him, maybe send an email to the Athletic and complain. If you don't want to do that, I don't know what else you can do besides not subscribe and instead read content from other writers.

To me, Kent fits in well between the usual cheerleading writers we see for many other teams and the trolling of somebody like Ryan Lambert.

Last edited by Ashasx; 09-11-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #166
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those that have subscribed, do you think the amount is worth it? Reason being is that I am merely a Flames fan who happens to reside in Calgary. I am not a Hitmen, Stamps or a fan of any other team in the city. Nor do i care to read about the local amateur or collegiate teams.

CFL/Stamps articles would bore me to death, but I am an NFL, NBA and MLB fan.

Can one subscribe to another city, say Toronto but still have access to the Calgary articles?
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #167
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
For those that have subscribed, do you think the amount is worth it? Reason being is that I am merely a Flames fan who happens to reside in Calgary. I am not a Hitmen, Stamps or a fan of any other team in the city. Nor do i care to read about the local amateur or collegiate teams.

CFL/Stamps articles would bore me to death, but I am an NFL, NBA and MLB fan.

Can one subscribe to another city, say Toronto but still have access to the Calgary articles?
You get access to all the sites. You can read about the Blue Jackets or 49'ers to your hearts content.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #168
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

It's a great deal actually. I'm not a fan of the auto renewal every year though. Is it too much to ask for them to send a heads up email?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #169
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
It's a great deal actually. I'm not a fan of the auto renewal every year though. Is it too much to ask for them to send a heads up email?
They'll probably do that, I know most other yearly renewals I pay for do - such as Center Ice.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #170
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're looking for me to say. I don't care if you critique Wilson. I'm happy he joined the Athletic and he is a big reason I subscribed. That's all I'm saying. I know I can't convince you to like a writer.

If you don't like him, maybe send an email to the Athletic and complain. If you don't want to do that, I don't know what else you can do besides not subscribe and instead read content from other writers.

To me, Kent fits in well between the usual cheerleading writers we see for many other teams and the trolling of somebody like Ryan Lambert.
Sorry, maybe a little harsh on my part. My point was that people complaining about the writer's style and skill level was important to have from as many posters as felt that way, as the point of the thread was to get as many views as possible on the Calgary addition.

Saying if you don't like Kent Wilson then it isn't for you isn't helpful for those of us who don't know Kent Wilson, so therefore the comments supporting and not supporting Kent for any number of reasons and from as many posters as possible is important and one could argue; the exact reason for the thread.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #171
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
If you're into the Blue Jays they have an excellent roster of MLB people (Ken Rosenthal is the head MLB guy and the Blue Jays have a IMO top notch crew with Jonah Keri and John Lott as regular contributors).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #172
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
You get access to all the sites. You can read about the Blue Jackets or 49'ers to your hearts content.
I quite enjoyed Russo's story on Bruce Boudreau. A little peek into the life outside the rink - which turns out to be 24/7/365 hockey. I don't really read stuff about other teams much but I've been enjoying the stuff from the other NHL teams so far.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #173
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kent has written good articles. I'm not disputing that.

What irks me is how his introductory content to paywall-ville is regurgitated content from what he's done before. His audience is now consciously paying out of pocket to read his work, and he couldn't even find a new angle or a less beat-to-death topic to make a first impression. Hence my comment made shortly after subscribing.

Thymebalm linked four individual articles concerning Brouwer throughout the year. Thing is, a casual fan can tell me Brouwer was bad at hockey last year. I don't need fancy stats to explain why, I can see it just watching myself!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #174
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Exactly. I've been reading Kent's work since he was a poster here. I like him. But he does have a habit of beating topics into the ground, and trashing Brouwer has just become tedious at this point.

Though I did like how you, Ashasx, went to the time honoured tactic of "can't defend, so deflect". We know the Oilers writers are crap. That doesn't change the fact that Kent's first work for the new site was a disappointing decision to beat a dead horse.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #175
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I quite enjoyed Russo's story on Bruce Boudreau. A little peek into the life outside the rink - which turns out to be 24/7/365 hockey. I don't really read stuff about other teams much but I've been enjoying the stuff from the other NHL teams so far.
Me too. He seems like a prick but a funny guy. Cocky MOFO for sure. That's what I am enjoying as well...reading about the other teams.

Like I said above. The one on Patches is pretty good too. It's definitely surprising they were able to sit in a juice bar in downtown Montreal near the window and not one person disturbed them over the hour long talk.

Also surprising that Patches has played in Montreal for his entire career and this summer he fell in love with the city. "Didn't realize how great the city was!" What the hell have you been doing the past 9 years Max?

If you are a hardcore hockey fan it really is a no-brainer to get the subscription though.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:07 AM   #176
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top 100 under 25 - 100 to 50 featured today. Bennett at 75. Harsh, but he did come off a 26 point season. I expect he will jump 25+ spots this season. Disclaimer: Its a Pronman article.

Also a full piece on the flames Penticton Tourney

Last edited by Samonadreau; 09-12-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:36 AM   #177
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe I'm weird, but I prefer these articles over the puff piece Willis gave to Oilers fans comparing Yamamoto to Gaudreau and Johnson that added absolutely nothing of value.
Did you prefer when he wrote about Brouwer in July and August as well?
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:49 AM   #178
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

CFL/Stamps articles would bore me to death,

Well, you're in luck....
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #179
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

new article posted...

https://theathletic.com/99200/2017/0...algary-flames/
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:52 AM   #180
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

The Athletic has you guys in 20th this year Cancel your subscriptions while you can!

But really doesn't mean much as your point projection is at 93. The author says all these middle teams are stacked together so the overall rankings aren't meant to say you are the 20nd best team in the league.

Your D is top 2 and but your goaltending is ranked last in the league.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote