Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #1841
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Stajan's an excellent defensive centre who doesn't give you a lot offensively at this point. Judging him based on scoring doesn't give you a fair picture of who he is as a player. He suppressed shots better than Backlund, Toews, Kesler, Koivu, Kopitar, etc etc. Definitely a useful player for a playoffs-bound team to have in the bottom 6.

That said I don't think he carries the trade value to make it worthwhile dealing him, but IMO if he was dealt to a team with shallow depth at C, they'd be very impressed with the player they got.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #1842
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
Stajan's an excellent defensive centre who doesn't give you a lot offensively at this point. Judging him based on scoring doesn't give you a fair picture of who he is as a player. He suppressed shots better than Backlund, Toews, Kesler, Koivu, Kopitar, etc etc. Definitely a useful player for a playoffs-bound team to have in the bottom 6.

That said I don't think he carries the trade value to make it worthwhile dealing him, but IMO if he was dealt to a team with shallow depth at C, they'd be very impressed with the player they got.
Two years ago. Now he is a good face off guy without the grit of a guy like Yelle. He's an NHLer because of his contract - too high to buy out or bury.

It will be a shock if Janko doesn't steal his spot.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #1843
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
It will be more of a shock if a first round pick the team has developed for years is placed in a 4th line role. He will need to play with better players than the designated 4th line wingers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 07:10 AM   #1844
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It will be more of a shock if a first round pick the team has developed for years is placed in a 4th line role. He will need to play with better players than the designated 4th line wingers.

Depending on what happens with the rest of the summer, our "4th line" could very well be Versteeg - Jankowski - Brouwer with Stajan being pushed down into the 13th forward spot.

Who would be the designated 4th line wingers at this stage, if not Versteeg and Brouwer?
Old 07-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #1845
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I know it's rare for a 1st round rookie to play the 4th line C role, but I think Janko is an exception for 2 reasons.

First, Janko is big/strong defensively. It's not like Monahan or Bennett joining the league at 18 years old with no experience playing against men.

Second, Janko will get a chance to play with more skilled linemates than a typical 4th line, like Stajan, Lazar, and Brouwer. This isn't McGrattan, Kostopoulos, or even Bouma. The 4th line this year will be able to score.

I think Jankowski will force Stajan to the pressbox by the middle of the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #1846
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Depending on what happens with the rest of the summer, our "4th line" could very well be Versteeg - Jankowski - Brouwer with Stajan being pushed down into the 13th forward spot.

Who would be the designated 4th line wingers at this stage, if not Versteeg and Brouwer?
Unless Stajan's game falls off a cliff I doubt he's the 13th forward for this team. Versteeg will move all around the lineup based on injuries and line performances. Knowing how the NHL works I expect Brouwer will be given every opportunity to reclaim a spot on the 3rd line or higher. I expect Lazar will get a position on the 4th line with Stajan with the other winger rotating.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-11-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:18 AM   #1847
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I loved Stajan on the terrific Ferland - Stajan - Jones line in the 2015 playoffs, but he's been a clear-cut 4C ever since. Not a chance that he fetches Tyler Bozak.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #1848
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot of Flames fans are setting themselves up for disappointment with Jankowski next season. The guy has only been a pro for one year and the NHL is a massive step over the AHL. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a regular scratch at points this season and is sent back to Stockton at some point as part of the development process.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #1849
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Your Jankowski sounds a lot like the Leafs' Frédérik Gauthier.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #1850
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Two years ago. Now he is a good face off guy without the grit of a guy like Yelle. He's an NHLer because of his contract - too high to buy out or bury.

It would be a shock if he did. Stajan is a leader on the team, a vet who can slide up the lineup if needed, and has only this season left on his deal. Jankowski has had one pro year in the A. The smart move is to have Janko play another year in the A getting top line minutes for development and role with Stajan in his final year as the #4 C.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #1851
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not against Jankowski playing another year in Stockton. See if he can have another year like he did this year and go from there. No sense in rushing the guy just to play low minutes in the NHL.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #1852
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I'm not against Jankowski playing another year in Stockton. See if he can have another year like he did this year and go from there. No sense in rushing the guy just to play low minutes in the NHL.
I disagree, I rather see Jankowski play on the 4th line then play in the AHL for another season. I don't see how that is rushing someone, he's proven he should get the opportunity in the NHL. If he struggles a lot, then you can move him back to the AHL. Jankowski can get 12 minutes a game on the 4th line assuming he gets some special teams time, which isn't bad.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #1853
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Jankowski is a lot more skilled than Gauthier. Not sure how the two are comparable.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #1854
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Gauthier : 102 AHL games - 31 points
Jankowski: 77 AHL games - 67 points

So not really comparable at all. Gauthier has pretty crappy stats in the NHL too..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlamesNation23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #1855
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Haha you're joking right? Gauthier hasn't shown anything since he left junior.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #1856
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Haha you're joking right? Gauthier hasn't shown anything since he left junior.
Didn't show much in junior either
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #1857
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I must've missed something. Are we trading Jankowski? or should I go to the McDavid signing thread if i want to read about trade rumours?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #1858
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Jankowski is a lot more skilled than Gauthier. Not sure how the two are comparable.
well they're both a younger, less Colborney version of Joe Colborne...
Old 07-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #1859
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I disagree, I rather see Jankowski play on the 4th line then play in the AHL for another season. I don't see how that is rushing someone, he's proven he should get the opportunity in the NHL. If he struggles a lot, then you can move him back to the AHL. Jankowski can get 12 minutes a game on the 4th line assuming he gets some special teams time, which isn't bad.
I don't see how playing 4th line minutes is going to be beneficial to his development when he is the top forward prospect in the organization. Top line minutes in the AHL would be the way to go IMO. The only way I see him being in the NHL is if Bennett gets moved to wing which should be the case anyway.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #1860
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's take the janko debate out of this thread by posting the loveable eklund rumor.

Quote:
On Jagr...

Still hearing Calgary..
Closed Thread