Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #10041
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
It's also an issue for the forwards on the PP when backdoor plays with a guy on his off wing is able to convert chances versus a strong side winger needing the extra moment to corral the pass, dramatically reducing the conversion chance.

It's also limiting in which direction you can have the high slot one timer when trying to shift a scorer into open space when the pass angle and direction is predictable when the passer and shooter are of the same hand.

Also for faceoffs, those who take draws on their strong side have a slight advantage in general.
Strong side wingers on a one timer have to wait a fraction longer and have a worse angle to the far side but they have a better angle to the short side (which is the hardest for the goalie to cover because he’s moving from the opposite side of the net).
Old 04-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #10042
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Based on how this round is going, I'd think Toronto is going to be looking for D in the worse way this off season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #10043
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Based on how this round is going, I'd think Toronto is going to be looking for D in the worse way this off season.
Man i fear trades with TO, but we are due to at least break even on a trade with them!
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #10044
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Man i fear trades with TO, but we are due to at least break even on a trade with them!
There's no excuse for the Flames losing a deal with the Leafs here as the Flames are dealing from a position of strength. How many other teams can offer one or two top 4 defensemen on really good contracts like the Flames?
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #10045
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Flames really need to unload 1 or 2 Dmen. Anderson should be in the NHL already. Valimaki will be on the way soon. Then there’s Kylington. I’d even be ok with Wotherspoon on the bottom pairing.

The Hamonic trade really looks awful in hindsight. Not just because of what the Flames gave up, but because it created a logjam at D.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to madmike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #10046
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
The Flames really need to unload 1 or 2 Dmen. Anderson should be in the NHL already. Valimaki will be on the way soon. Then there’s Kylington. I’d even be ok with Wotherspoon on the bottom pairing.

The Hamonic trade really looks awful in hindsight. Not just because of what the Flames gave up, but because it created a logjam at D.
I don't know about awful but ya it's a head scratcher. Especially considering they could have used those assets to fix the top6. And now it's a pretty good unprotected 1st round pick.

Oh well.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #10047
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There's no excuse for the Flames losing a deal with the Leafs here as the Flames are dealing from a position of strength. How many other teams can offer one or two top 4 defensemen on really good contracts like the Flames?
You need to get out and get some information that is not Flame-fan biased. Repeating that the Flames have really good contracts (for the team) does not make it true.

The best defense in the league Nashville

Their top 4 Subban, Josi, Elkholm, Ellis comes in at 19.25 M add in Emelin the only of their top 5 not signed for next year Makes it 22.2 M

Not a difficult argument that any of the Flames top-5 would not significantly upgrade anyone except Emelin, but none are a tough as Emelin.

The Flames on the other hand top-4 come in at 21 M and top-5 at 24.5 all with at least 2 years left on their deals.

The Flames defense as a whole is getting paid more than the best Defense in the league!!

Look at any team and see where the Flames D fits in their salary structure.

The Flames just signed Stone to a UFA contract... That is by definition as high as anyone in the league would pay him. Stone did not exceed expectations. To trade him for a 3rd round pick the Flames would likely have to retain salary. In a trade for a forward they would have to take an under performing contract back.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #10048
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
You need to get out and get some information that is not Flame-fan biased..
You need to stop talking down to people.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #10049
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah no team will want a 50pt Dman thst is 25 with 3 more years under $6M.

Stone is not bringing back anything of value except maybe a late pick.

If they put Dougie on the market they will eat a massive return. No trade protection, age and contract thst fits with contending and rebuilding teams.

If the Flames want to shop Brodie they can see what teams are willing to pay for an offensive Dman who has struggled when playing his left side.

Flames will likely shop both Hamilton and Brodie and will get a nice return on one of them.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #10050
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You are the most obvious non fan why don’t just cheer for another team. The string of constant negativity gets on my nerves and I can’t imagine how miserable you must be constantly trying to find new ways to say old negative things about the Flames.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #10051
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Yeah no team will want a 50pt Dman thst is 25 with 3 more years under $6M.

Stone is not bringing back anything of value except maybe a late pick.

If they put Dougie on the market they will eat a massive return. No trade protection, age and contract thst fits with contending and rebuilding teams.

If the Flames want to shop Brodie they can see what teams are willing to pay for an offensive Dman who has struggled when playing his left side.

Flames will likely shop both Hamilton and Brodie and will get a nice return on one of them.
Which teams do you see a fit?
Old 04-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #10052
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post

There's no indication Wotherspoon is in the Flames plans, other than being a vet at the AHL level. There are at least 4 D (Anderson, Kylington, Valimaki, Fox) ahead of him on the depth chart and maybe even 5 (goloubef).

The logjam at D is a good thing if anything. It has allowed the team to keep Anderson in the A to further develop his game and leave little doubt he is ready for full time duty. Further, stocking the cupboards at a position that other GM's will pay a premium for is a real strength that the organization needs to leverage to address areas of weakness.

In the not too distant future, the Flames need to make a decision on Fox. If I were in Fox's shoes, or his agents, the conversation I would have with the Flames is 'before I sign a contract, I want to know where I fit in n the Flames roster. Not the heat'. The Flames can't afford to have a Jimmy Vesey/Justin Schultz situation.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #10053
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which teams do you see a fit?
Toronto, Edmonton, Buffalo, Arizona I could see all lining up for offers.

I truly feel there is a deal around Hamilton and Nylander thst makes sense for both teams.

What team wouldn’t want a 24 year old 6’5, right shot, thst is a lock for 40+pts and is coming off 17 goals?

As for Brodie I can see any team that is looking to add a second pairing guy and have less than $5M in cap to work with kicking tires.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #10054
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I truly feel there is a deal around Hamilton and Nylander thst makes sense for both teams.

What team wouldn’t want a 24 year old 6’5, right shot, thst is a lock for 40+pts and is coming off 17 goals?

As for Brodie I can see any team that is looking to add a second pairing guy and have less than $5M in cap to work with kicking tires.
That D man you describe sounds great. If I had that asset I'd kind of want to keep him.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #10055
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKlit View Post
You are the most obvious non fan why don’t just cheer for another team. The string of constant negativity gets on my nerves and I can’t imagine how miserable you must be constantly trying to find new ways to say old negative things about the Flames.
Spends a lot of time talking about the Flames for a non fan. Seems disappointed in the team that just had a very disappointing season.

I don’t care if somebody claims to have figured out the guy may like another team. He does talk about the team and seems to have some passion

Fact is that 16 teams made the playoffs without the top 4 D on the Flames. Fact is that while Gio is a beast, he is a 55-60 point guy who has dropped to under 40. The top 4 across the board is not realizing its value on paper.

Despite what many people seem to want to do, you can’t give the coach a pass and then love and defend all of the players (except some 4th liner or whatever, and pin this on that non core player).

Side note, if anything from any poster is to you a string of constant negativity, I pretty much guarantee that if you step away from the internet, you will get a break from that poster.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #10056
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
You need to get out and get some information that is not Flame-fan biased. Repeating that the Flames have really good contracts (for the team) does not make it true.

The best defense in the league Nashville

Their top 4 Subban, Josi, Elkholm, Ellis comes in at 19.25 M add in Emelin the only of their top 5 not signed for next year Makes it 22.2 M

Not a difficult argument that any of the Flames top-5 would not significantly upgrade anyone except Emelin, but none are a tough as Emelin.

The Flames on the other hand top-4 come in at 21 M and top-5 at 24.5 all with at least 2 years left on their deals.

The Flames defense as a whole is getting paid more than the best Defense in the league!!

Look at any team and see where the Flames D fits in their salary structure.

The Flames just signed Stone to a UFA contract... That is by definition as high as anyone in the league would pay him. Stone did not exceed expectations. To trade him for a 3rd round pick the Flames would likely have to retain salary. In a trade for a forward they would have to take an under performing contract back.
What a god damn silly post. Just because Nashville has better value on their blue line, the best in the league, doesn’t negate Calgary as having very good value on their own line. All your posts are bad but this one is escpecially horrible and dim.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #10057
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That D man you describe sounds great. If I had that asset I'd kind of want to keep him.
Typically I agree but there is something about Hamilton that I think we would be better off using him as an asset to improve the scoring than he be the player we build our blueline around. It is hard for me to describe but something about that player doesn’t sit right with me. I guess I don’t like the cut of his jib
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #10058
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If the Flames are talking to Toronto, my ask would be Marner over Nylander. Duhatschek suggested a similar trade on the Athletic a few weeks back. Leafs fans balked, but if you're paying attention to the price of quality (and in this case, near elite D) the price is steep.

That said, I would move a number of other D before I move Dougie, unless the return is next to impossible to say 'no' to.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #10059
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Yeah, but they need D who can stop the other team from scoring. I don't see how Hamilton or Brodie help them with that. They'd certainly be interested in Hamonic, and word is they were one of the other teams bidding on him last summer. But turning around and trading Hamonic for less than he spent on him a year ago wouldn't be a good look for Treliving.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #10060
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton + Bennett for Ekman-Larsson + Domi

Hamilton is younger and signed with more term so the Flames get to upgrade from Bennett to Domi.

Then the Flames can look to shop Brodie for a top 6 forward and not decimate their top 4 in one off season, and make room on the right side for Andersson.

Hamilton gets to go to a market with less media and fan attention, just my opinion but I think he'd prefer that to be honest.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Top six FWD (Brodie trade or UFA)
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Domi
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik

Build 4th line from Mangiapane, Dube, Lazar, Shore, Hathaway, Brouwer or UFA signing.

Giordano - Hamonic
E-Larsson - Stone
Kulak - Andersson

Smith
Rittich / Gillies
Closed Thread