Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #6001
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I'm trying not to get excited about the prospect of Tavares, but...

- We have the cap space (assuming Backlund is not re-signed)
- Hamonic is here and I'm sure would pitch the city and organization to JT
- The team is young and trending in an exciting direction
- Knowing that you'd have 1 of Gaudreau or Tkachuk on your wing has to be exciting

Assuming he hits UFA, are there any teams that'd be a better fit for Tavares?
Old 01-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #6002
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
That is fair but Dube to me isn't surefire. There have been numerous prospects over the last decade who did amazing and fell off. Maybe that's where my perspective comes from.

Poirier, Rienhart, etc.
And if that is your perspective on him, that's fair.

For me, Dube is easily our most sure-fire NHLer, among the forward prospects. Ahead of Mangiapane even. I believe Dube will be on the team next year. And if the Flames go farther than the Rockets, I wouldn't be surprised if he saw ice-time this year.

I also believe Valimaki is our best D prospect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #6003
Flamesfan2010
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, if the decent "3rd liner" is a 65 point player on the right side.

Personally, I consider the Bennett-Jankowski-Pacioretty line to be equally as important as other lines.
I agree with the idea of having three very solid lines and wouldn't mind Patches, but not for that price
Old 01-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #6004
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Arguably the worst captain in the NHL and will need a hugencontract at 31 years old. It would be a terrible trade
Didn't know you were on the Habs. Sweet! Enlighten me more on how he is the worst captain in the league. Does he come to work high or drunk.. give me some dirt!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #6005
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan2010 View Post
I agree with the idea of having three very solid lines and wouldn't mind Patches, but not for that price
That is fair. Agree to disagree
Old 01-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #6006
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, if the decent "3rd liner" is a 65 point player on the right side.

Personally, I consider the Bennett-Jankowski-Pacioretty line to be equally as important as other lines.
Zero thought to the awful anchor of a contract Pacioretty is going to require.

It's horrid value considering in short order it goes to a declining albatross of a contract while taking away two very valuable looking young pieces that should step in and sustain competitiveness at the same time moving forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #6007
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I'm trying not to get excited about the prospect of Tavares, but...

- We have the cap space (assuming Backlund is not re-signed)
- Hamonic is here and I'm sure would pitch the city and organization to JT
- The team is young and trending in an exciting direction
- Knowing that you'd have 1 of Gaudreau or Tkachuk on your wing has to be exciting

Assuming he hits UFA, are there any teams that'd be a better fit for Tavares?
Unfortunately, being a small (relative to the big American cities) Canadian city in the prairies invalidates almost anything the organization could afford/offer a top tier free agent.

He's living the New York lifestyle and set to cash in anywhere he wants. It won't be Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg etc, along with a bunch of crappy, small to midsized American markets.

New York, Long Island (Barclays for now), New Jersey, Los Angelas, Anaheim, San Jose, Chicago, Tampa, Miami will always have a ridiculous, almost insurmountable advantage for top tier free agents because of where they are or what they're near.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-20-2018 at 11:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #6008
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to see a goal-scoring RW for Jankowski's line. Not sure that Pacioretty is my first choice, would rather have Hoffman. But for sake of argument, what would you give up to get Hoffman, Patches, or <insert reasonable candidate here>?

I would much rather give up Fox than Valimaki, due to the flight risk (not saying it's high, it just isn't zero because Harvard students tend to go the 4 years). I also think Fox has a lot of value, especially to eastern US teams.

On D, my willingness-to-pay order would be:

Fox
Kylington
Andersson
Valimaki

On forward, my least favourite loss would be Dube. I would probably put my willingness-to-pay order as:

Any of: Klimchuk, Poirier, Shinkaruk, and anyone not listed below
Any of the 2nd tier junior guys: Lindstrom, Ruzicka, Tuulola
Foo
Mangiapane
Dube

In net:
Gillies
Parsons

Overall, my do hate-to-lose-them list would be (in order):

Parsons
Dube
Valimaki
Mangiapane
Kylington
Gillies
Andersson
Fox

If we could get Hoffman for something like Fox + Mangiapane, I would do that. But I wouldn't want to tear up our prospect list much more than that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #6009
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's with all the Tavares talk? Is there validity in this or are people just talking out of their asses?
Old 01-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #6010
jayswin

Exp:

Sean Avery talks about it in his book (I know the source sucks, but the sentiment likely isn't exaggerated) how once players start playing on the road in big American cities with their big money it's basically just a countdown until they can get themselves playing for one of those teams.

The fan hopeful narrative is that guys want to win wherever provides the best chance, the player narrative is that where they live is unfortunately just as important as winning.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #6011
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
What's with all the Tavares talk? Is there validity in this or are people just talking out of their asses?
Just hopeful speculation because nothing official has said otherwise, kind of like the Amazon headquarter talk. Not realistic, just fun to speculate.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #6012
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best fits for Tavares as far as I think, in order

NYI
SJ
STL
CGY
CAR

I hope the Flames can make a run at him (12 mil max, but hopefully under 11) but the other three teams on that list can provide him with everything the Flames can and more

You'd have to hope that he likes the look of what's going on here and doesn't mind playing in a Canadian market (though of all the Canadian markets, Calgary is probably the least oppressive to players I think)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #6013
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
You'd have to hope that he likes the look of what's going on here and doesn't mind playing in a Canadian market (though of all the Canadian markets, Calgary is probably the least oppressive to players I think)
What does that mean?
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #6014
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks up, sees "speculation" in the thread title. It's really nothing more than that, which I think has been mentioned multiple times. Just people having a little fun with a pretty big "what if?"
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #6015
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Sean Avery talks about it in his book (I know the source sucks, but the sentiment likely isn't exaggerated) how once players start playing on the road in big American cities with their big money it's basically just a countdown until they can get themselves playing for one of those teams.

The fan hopeful narrative is that guys want to win wherever provides the best chance, the player narrative is that where they live is unfortunately just as important as winning.
Yes, the biggest markets are the most popular, but different players value different things (shocking, I know)

Sean Avery would be the poster child for wanting the largest, most anonymous city possible.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #6016
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Price is likely untradeable regardless of being on the untouchable list. I mean you could maybe get rid of him but anything but a huge return would be a disaster, and there'd be no huge return.
Would it though? Or is a reasonable return better than seven more years at $10M? I certainly think the right GM would offer up a Duchene-level package for him. He's Carey Price; someone who's close should and would give up the pieces required to get him, since he transforms any team he's on into a Cup threat.

The Canadiens without Price are an AHL team.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 01-20-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #6017
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think Pacioretty could be a solid fit. Also thinking his price will be low.

Brouwer+Valimaki+Dube for Pacioretty
Brouwer has a NTC, no way he waves it to go to Montreal.
Besides, no way do I give away two sure thing prospects, for another older player, with a little over a year left on his contract, to possible make the third line, one with great chemestry, one of our most dynamic and consistently dangerous, a little bit better.
If Montreal were offered that, I'm sure BT wouldn't even have time to say goodbye before Bergevin were on another line with the NHL trying to submit that deal.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #6018
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What does that mean?
The media circus and tendency of the fanbase to crucify players is not that bad here

Could you imagine if Brouwer played for Edmonton or Montreal? He'd be public enemy #1, here, it seems like fans just know he's bad and accept it
Old 01-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #6019
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Would it though? Or is a reasonable return better than seven more years at $10M? I certainly think the right GM would offer up a Duchene-level package for him. He's Carey Price; someone who's close should and would give up the pieces required to get him, since he transforms any team he's on into a Cup threat.

The Canadiens without Price are an AHL team.
Yup! And people want to trade assets for the 31 year old captain of that AHL team.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #6020
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is a ridiculous pipe dream. The NYI are not letting their franchise player leave and he doesn't want to go. If John Tavares ends up a Calgary Flame as a UFA this upcoming year I will do a full back tattoo of Brad Treliving doing the buddy Christ on my back. It isn't happening.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread