Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #21
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

we have a vivint system at home. while we all have the app on our phones, it is easier to open the lock via punching in the code with your finger.

I have the sytem setup to lock the doors every night by 11. the system notifies me when the status of the sytem changes.

could someone compromise the system, probably. could they break a window, sure. I don't see anything as 100% foolproof.

on the how concerned am I scale, I worry more about someone getting our online banking info than hacking our security system.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #22
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like this will most likely be my Smart lock of choice:
http://mybrinkshome.com/

https://arraylock.com/

Last edited by Since1984; 01-18-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #23
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I wouldn't rely on IFTTT especially for a lock, there can be a delay which would mean you can never guarantee it unlocks and locks at the required time if at all. I wouldn't rely on any cloud service to unlock a door to be honest. What if your door unlocks and the Internet goes down? It just stays unlocked until the next days lock applet runs.

A Zwave lock that has the features you're looking for and local processing through either a Smartthings hub or Home Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi would be your best bet.
This is my solution. I've got smart things configured to turn on a bunch of my lights and unlock my doors when either myself or my wife comes home. I also unlock the door right before my nanny arrives in the morning, and you can configure a timeframe where you want to have a specific (or many) doors unlocked.

Love that thing.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

Thanks that looks great to me, though "first half of 2018" is kind of vague, I was hoping to find something sooner.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #25
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/u...h-smart-lock#/
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #26
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

That looks good except for the lack of a fingerprint reader.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #27
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do the Smart Locks and/or fingerprint readers work when it is -20C or below? Do the electronics still work? Would the fingerprint reader transfer cold to the finger and potentially cause frostbite?
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #28
photon

Exp:

The electronics should have no problem, and if you don't get frostbite from your doorknob you shouldn't get frostbite from the lock.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #29
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking at the Ultraloq page and it says the outside lock body can only go to -20 and inside to -10.

Plus, in the middle of winter, I would have gloves on when opening the door - obviously the fingerprint couldn't work with that.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/u...h-smart-lock#/
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #30
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The electronics should have no problem, and if you don't get frostbite from your doorknob you shouldn't get frostbite from the lock.
The problem comes with the expansion and contraction caused by the cold. Those little motors that drive the deadbolt can be finicky if they encounter a little bit of friction or resistance. We have problems with ours in cold weather where it won't open or hesitates. This is why I like a lock with key backup.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #31
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have the Schlage Camelot, and the aspect we particularly like is that the motor isn't trying to drive the deadbolt, rather it just allows the deadbolt to be turned manually when the correct code is entered. This has a few advantages in that you can't get screwed by the mechanism freezing and not opening the door at all, and the batteries last quite a bit longer.

It's actually a nice lock, if you just want to leave the house without taking a key with you or give people access temporarily.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #32
photon

Exp:

I just setup a Schlage Sense and I'm liking it. Installation was as easy as a regular deadbolt (I had to chisel out a bit as the deadbolt couldn't fully extend, just a hair longer than than the existing one I guess, but that's it).

Setup was pretty easy, Bluetooth has pretty good range it seems, everything seems to work fine. I can invite other people to have virtual keys so they can lock/unlock the lock with their phones, or just assign them codes. I tried homekit integration at first and that worked great (I got a notice every time someone locked or unlocked the door), then reset it as I wanted to be able to add Android devices (I think I can still setup the Homekit integration if I want still).

You can get a wifi adapter to be able to get notifications and unlock your door from anywhere, but not sure if I'll get that, it's neat but I don't really see much value for me. Seems hard to find in Canada too.

Codes are easy to setup for other people, you can limit them to certain days or times (i.e. the cleaner's code only works for the day they come from 8am to 5pm or something).

The lock will auto-close the deadbolt after a configurable amount of time, which is nice. There's an alarm you can setup if the door is opened without the deadbolt being unlocked (with a configurable sensitivity), and you can have the lock beep like an alarm system would if you open the door after unlocking it.

Seems very robust, I like that the key is still there if all else fails, and it looks nice and clean.

Though I just realized I should replace the doorknob with a non-locking one now to prevent someone from accidentally locking themselves out or defeating the whole purpose of the thing. Can I just use a normal hallway doorknob? Or I guess a handle set would be better...

And since I had Wieser locks I'd have to replace the walkout and garage locks now if I want the key to match for all the locks. I haven't decided if I'll do that or not, I guess I probably should.

Mini-review done.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #33
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you’re handy with the locks and parts, you can swap out the Schlage cylinder and tumblers for the Weiser one. It isn’t too difficult. I had to do it when I installed the Schlage and didn’t want two separate keys for the deadbolts. Just pull the cylinder out of the Weiser deadbolt you removed and put it into the Schlage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2018, 09:41 PM   #34
photon

Exp:

Oh yeah I didn't think of that, I've rekeyed locks myself before so yeah I could do that. Thanks!

Though as a result of looking online for a bit I now want a nice big handle for my front door instead of the ghetto doorknob lol.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:26 AM   #35
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing was, IIRC it wasn’t a perfect swap between the two. I had to have a metal file on hand to shave off something from the cylinder. Kind of a Frankenstein hodge podge of the two cylinder mechanisms. Otherwise it was better than 2 keys or buying 4 new deadbolts.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #36
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't even know where the key to my schlage lock is... Never had to use it.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post: