Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #21
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

This thread is quickly becoming a painful reminder I cheaped out on my bike.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #22
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
This thread is quickly becoming a painful reminder I cheaped out on my bike.....
Ya, there is a zero percent chance I'm posting my bike in this thread! I've just never spent a lot on a bike. Maybe next time!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #23
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Unless you're shopping at Canadian Tire, bikes are generally pretty expensive.

You can get a decent older model road bikes for around $800. I don't know if I could ever justify spending $3000-$4000 on a bike but if that's your thing more power to you.

Both my bikes are on the lower end end of the bike scale but are very rideable. If, you're like me and you've never tried a high-end bike, you don't know what you're missing.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #24
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I find, as a rule of thumb, once you spend around $1000 on a bike, you are not giving up quality, you are just trimming weight once you start spending more after that. For 99% of the population, an $1100, 20 pound Tiagra grouped road bike, is just as rideable as a $5000 16 pound Dura-ace bike. In reality sometimes the lower end stuff can be more durable, and less finicky.

If you plan to ride a lot, buying a garbage $300 Canadian Tire bike does nothing for you. You will end up replacing stuff on it all the time, they are generally less rideable, noisier, and definitely less enjoyable to ride. There is nothing like the solid feel of cooking alone at 35 kph on a nice solid PROPERLY FIT road bike. Alot of people give up on riding because they have a crappy bike.

There are certain things you can cheap out on in life and get away with it, but bikes are not one of them if you want the full experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #25
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey Pylon - what is a bike in between a mountain bike and a road bike called? I'm going to try commuting on my bike this year, and in a perfect world I'd need a bike that I'll be able to ride on grass/dirt a bit as well as the road. I have a Specialized mountain bike that I love, but it has super beefy tires and is slow as balls. Is there something that you'd recommend in that $1000 range? I know you know Lake Bonavista - there is a bike shop in Avenida...are they any good?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #26
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know one of the guys who works in Avenida - the store is called Pedalhead and it's where I bought my bike. They seem like a great group of guys - ask for Manrique he'll answer any questions you have.

Also - I think the answer you're looking for is a hybrid bike. The Giant FCR3 I posted above is one. A mtn bike frame with quasi road tires.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #27
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Yeah, you've got the hybrid, which is more mountain bike in style with slimmer tires or the cyclo-cross which is more the road bike style with beefier tires.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #28
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Cool, thanks. Do people ever just throw slimmer tires on a mountain bike for commuting, or does that not work for some reason?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #29
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You can get some slicks from MEC for cheap. Try that before forking out $1000 on a new bike.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302693841

Last edited by bossy22; 06-20-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #30
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Depending on the type of mountain bike it wouldn't be an easy process since you'd have to change the brakes as well. The tire would be too small for them to grip properly.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #31
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Depending on the type of mountain bike it wouldn't be an easy process since you'd have to change the brakes as well. The tire would be too small for them to grip properly.
When have brakes ever gripped the tires? Or am I missing something?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #32
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They don't grip the tire. You either have disc or v-brakes (grip the rim) on a mountain bike.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #33
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Cool thread. I have a crappy Trek 830 which I use for commuting to work and a Cannondale Synapse 6 for leisure:

Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #34
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
When have brakes ever gripped the tires? Or am I missing something?
You're right, I use the wrong terminology.

I meant, if you're going to moving to a slimmer tire/rim you may need to change your brakes as well.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #35
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I ride my 1995 Brodie Kinetic. Fork had been replaced, Sprockets and cranks have been replaced, upgraded to V-Brakes.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #36
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
You're right, I use the wrong terminology.

I meant, if you're going to moving to a slimmer tire/rim you may need to change your brakes as well.
A slimmer rim, yes. A slimmer tire on the same size rim, no.

Even on a slimmer rim, you wouldn't have to change out the brakes, just adjust the pads so they are closer together.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #37
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a place within 7 km of my office, and realized that it was going to be a lot easier and more enjoyable to ride to work, over transit, but I didn't have a lot of disposable income. I bought a $500 mountain bike, and it works fine for what i do (bike paths, roads)
I would love to get something a little more commuter friends, but maybe tossing some slicks on it will be the solution until I have a little more money to play with.
I feel like a bit of an idiot riding to work every day with mountain bike tires still.

Question regarding slicks on mountain bikes: is it as simple as it sounds? Just pulling the tires/tubes off the rim, and replacing them on the same rim? I have disk brakes, so I don't think I'll need any brake adjustment.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #38
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's that simple. However I love bikes and always need an excuse to buy a new one so if that's what your looking for then go for it. Cyclocross bikes are awesome. You could put road tires on it and go for road rides on your weekends and put your cross tires on it for spring and fall when there is a little snow on the ground.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #39
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

my newest one, 2011 Cervelo RS

My cross bike, 2009 Kona Jake the Snake:

My mtn bike, 2007 Rocky ETSX 70

You can never have enough bikes. Wish I had 10 more.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #40
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I bought a place within 7 km of my office, and realized that it was going to be a lot easier and more enjoyable to ride to work, over transit, but I didn't have a lot of disposable income. I bought a $500 mountain bike, and it works fine for what i do (bike paths, roads)
I would love to get something a little more commuter friends, but maybe tossing some slicks on it will be the solution until I have a little more money to play with.
I feel like a bit of an idiot riding to work every day with mountain bike tires still.

Question regarding slicks on mountain bikes: is it as simple as it sounds? Just pulling the tires/tubes off the rim, and replacing them on the same rim? I have disk brakes, so I don't think I'll need any brake adjustment.
All you'll probably need is a set of these and a set of tire levers and you're good to go. The lack of friction and noise will be noticeable immediately.
Closed Thread