Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #41
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The exact same thing was said about Stamkos and it didn't happen. This is just both sides holding out until the last moment to get the deal they want but I am pretty confident JT will not see UFA.
Stamkos went to the courting week then signed with Tampa before July 1. He visited Toronto for one.

Signed June 29th.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #42
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The exact same thing was said about Stamkos and it didn't happen. This is just both sides holding out until the last moment to get the deal they want but I am pretty confident JT will not see UFA.
What Weitz said.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #43
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lou was probably brought in to ensure that Tavares signs (which he probably will) but there's probably more to it. Because he's a franchise player, I'm sure Lou and crew will have a sit down with him and his agent to gauge where they stand on getting a deal done. If he gets an inkling that Tavares will be leaving, then dealing him for a good return will be the main priority. Lou's guidance will be to decide which package to chose to help the team in the future.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Lou was probably brought in to ensure that Tavares signs (which he probably will) but there's probably more to it. Because he's a franchise player, I'm sure Lou and crew will have a sit down with him and his agent to gauge where they stand on getting a deal done. If he gets an inkling that Tavares will be leaving, then dealing him for a good return will be the main priority. Lou's guidance will be to decide which package to chose to help the team in the future.
Yeah, I dont know about that. Lou was also the one that was trying to nickle and dime Matthews on his ELC until Shanahan stepped in and just maxed him out.

I dont know how Lou is going to convince Tavares to stay.

"This is a great and proud organization that I've been with for the last 10 minutes..."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #45
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, I dont know about that. Lou was also the one that was trying to nickle and dime Matthews on his ELC until Shanahan stepped in and just maxed him out.

"This is a great and proud organization that I've been with for the last 10 minutes..."
Because Tavares wants to win and Lou is regarded as one of, if not the best Executive in the league.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #46
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Because Tavares wants to win and Lou is regarded as one of, if not the best Executive in the league.
Hes a septuagenarian and the POHO, not the GM.

How much of an impact can he realistically be expected to have?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #47
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

That's true, but I wouldn't give Shanahan much credit on that, because that's not generally how corporations work. It was likely he was directed to negotiate and when they realized their mistake nickle and diming, they just opened the vault. I've never been a fan of Lamorillo, and from reading some stuff from NJ over the years, he doesn't seem like a nice guy, but I think Shanahan made a mistake in not holding the ship for another year. As an outsider we'll never know what was going on behind closed doors, with conflicts and such, but the Leafs this year made good strides and making such a drastic change seems like one of those things management does when they play with pieces just because, but if you were to look at it in hindsight it probably won't work out. Given the old boys club in sports, I'm not sure every GM is on board with dealing with a young guy who certainly looks younger than his age.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #48
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lou lam left the devils in shambles. He's an over rated dinosaur imo and I don't see how he can sway Tavares to stay if he's leaning towards leaving. He's in his 70's and damn close to retiring I imagine.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote