Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2020, 11:43 PM   #2361
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I'm still pissed off about Tenet, don't even know if I want to give it a second chance

Huge Nolan fan and love everything he's done but ###### did I ever hate it. Was recently listening to a podcast with a movie reviewer, during the final battle scene he started laughing because he had no idea who the enemies in military gear were or what was going on. Now that I think about it, I can't remember either or care to try to remember.
Still better than that abomination called Dunkirk... lol
Old 12-04-2020, 11:45 PM   #2362
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The Sound Of Metal with Riz Ahmed and Olivia Cooke. Incredible movie, wow. Just amazing. Highly highly recommend.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #2363
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Still better than that abomination called Dunkirk... lol

Tenet was horrible. It deserved to go straight to theater with that lousy story telling. I still don't quite understand it. As for Dunkirk, many seemed to love it, unnecessarily. A simple plot line that was short and could've been told quicker. There was nothing special about it, and it wasn't noteworthy. Nolan got caught up in his own hype recently, because both were duds.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #2364
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
The Sound Of Metal with Riz Ahmed and Olivia Cooke. Incredible movie, wow. Just amazing. Highly highly recommend.
Caught this a couple days ago, I was familiar with the lead actor and knew he was good but was still blindsided by how well he portrayed a musician losing his hearing, let alone his anxiety of keeping the band together, the relationship and his sobriety.

Quite a powerful film, loved it.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #2365
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I also recommend this film... I was expecting a different type of movie, more about the music, but it was actually better than that. Also, the sound design was really really well done, hope they get an Oscar nod for it.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to badradio For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #2366
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched a 2019 movie called, Come to Daddy with Elijah Wood, filmed on Vancouver Island. Not sure if it's been posted here or not, but if you haven't seen it, and you like a bit of gore and bent story lines this is for you. 2 thumbs up.

Last edited by Cheese; 12-07-2020 at 06:11 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:46 AM   #2367
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I watched this yesterday:

It was great.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 05:13 AM   #2368
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently I'm constantly watching movies now.

Rocketman was okay. I appreciated that it tried to do something to separate itself from the usually extremely formulaic way of doing music biopics by adding some fantasy elements. If you're into Elton John you've probably seen it, but if you haven't, it passes the time just fine.

The Dirt, the Mötley Crüe biopic on the other hand I found quite entertaining. This one sticks extremely close to the formula, but refreshingly enough their career arc actually DOES fit pretty well into the formula (which generally goes: difficult youth - band meets - first success - excessive partying - increased success - tragedy and/or internal conflict - low point - re-union/making amends). The movie also quite sensibly focuses on being entertaining instead of trying to convince this band was/is a unique miracle snowflake. There's no larger point to be found here, but it's probably the best version of this film you're going to see. Also, it's the Mötley Crüe story, so basically Spinal Tap meets Trainspotting. Would recommend.

I also watched Mortal Kombat. It's a terrible turkey of a film, but if you're too young or too cultured to not have seen these types of eighties style fantasy B-films, at least Mortal Kombat is the entertaining sort of terrible. (I'm aware that it's actually made in 1992, but except for the excessive amount of early crappy CGI, everything else about this is so eighties.)

It's probably the fourth time I've seen this film, so... you know. It's terrible, but a cult classic!
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #2369
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's been mentioned before, but the documentary on Action Park is worth watching. Fascinating stuff and certainly underscores how different things were when we were kids.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #2370
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I know it's been mentioned before, but the documentary on Action Park is worth watching. Fascinating stuff and certainly underscores how different things were when we were kids.
I particularly liked the interviews with the people that were there who have the benefit of looking back on it with hindsight and maturity and then giving their opinions.

"Holy ####....I cant believe some of this stuff..."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 09:35 PM   #2371
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched two movies on streaming services.

Spanish horror movie called “Don’t Listen”. I am rather desensitized to scary movies but this one did the trick. It was well done IMO.

“Better Watch Out” is a couple of years old. Not sure how to characterize it really. Thriller/comedy/satire maybe? It was good for some laughs in a macabre way and I suspect teens would be into it. It kept me interested to the end and less you know, the better.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 10:17 PM   #2372
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Movies!!! Those are still a thing right?

Enola Holmes: Yet another take on a Sherlock Holmes mystery, this time based on a YA novel and starting Millie Bobby Brown as Sherlock's little sister. I enjoyed this different, feminist take on the genre with the snappy dialog, breezy pace, and lead acting creating an entertaining ride. I did notice some similarities with Captain Marvel, notably the female hero original story style using flashbacks for backstory. Hopefully this doesn't become a feminist movie trope. These flashbacks and narration were jarring at times and felt a bit Ex Machina-ish but I suppose this is a better narrative structure than giving us a lengthy introduction. The mystery itself was okay but started to get a little muddled in the 2nd act. I also liked Henry Cavill's take on Sherlock and would be interested to see this version of the character explored further. 8/10

The Lighthouse: I sometimes watch weird artistic films too! The appeal of this one is the brilliant cinematography, which really gives you a feel of isolation and claustrophobia while building tension, and the epic acting by two of the best. Pattinson's performance is especially good, giving off a Daniel Day Lewis vibe, and cementing himself as a top actor of his generation. My main criticism was there are so many themes crammed in here around isolation, guilt, male sexuality, and nautical mythology I wasn't sure how to make sense of it all and felt overwhelmed at times. 9/10

The Old Guard:A Netflix attempt to start an action franchise staring Charlize Theron. This has a good premise and the action is pretty good too, considering it does look lower budget than a typical Hollywood action flick. I just couldn't get into the story at all, being dull, predictable, and slow paced at times. Also, it really annoyed me they brought up a super intriguing plot point that was only used as sequel bait. I wish they'd just made a good standalone film instead of trying to be part 1 in a planned franchise. 5/10

Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood: There are a lot of films where I would like to see the extended directors cut. This is one where I would have preferred a 2 hour studio cut. There is the backbone of a quality film here, telling the story of an aging actor trying to find himself in a changing world and his friend looking for redemption against the backdrop of the Manson family but it is muddled with so much over indulgent filler. All the western and WWII movie references, along with the cameos, had me feeling like this was more of a Tarantino greatest hits collection than an original film. The dialog is brilliant and so was the ending although that was to be expected. 8/10

Parasite: Damn what a film, I definitely get all the hype. This starts as a really clever, almost heist film, until a massive twist takes it on the edge of your seat thrill ride towards an epic climax. Also, the themes of class struggle and parasitic relationships are explored in great details and really left an impact. This isn't a perfect film, I could nitpick plot holes and character motivations, but it's close enough for a perfect score. 10/10

Last edited by FireGilbert; 12-06-2020 at 10:59 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 10:28 PM   #2373
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I watched this yesterday:

It was great.
I just watched this. I liked it a lot. It can be confusing but...

Spoiler!

I recently watched another movie featuring Aubrey Plaza. “Happiest Season” is a fun Christmas romantic comedy. Mary Holland co-wrote it and is hilarious as one of the sisters.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 12-06-2020, 11:02 PM   #2374
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood: There are a lot of films where I would like to see the extended directors cut. This is one where I would have preferred a 2 hour studio cut. There is the backbone of a quality film here, telling the story of an aging actor trying to find himself in a changing world and his friend looking for redemption against the backdrop of the Manson family but it is muddled with so much over indulgent filler. All the western and WWII movie references, along with the cameos, had me feeling like this was more of a Tarantino greatest hits collection than an original film. The dialog is brilliant and so was the ending although that was to be expected. 8/10
Pretty much every Tarantino movie contains that in one form or another.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:26 PM   #2375
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Pretty much every Tarantino movie contains that in one form or another.
Fair point. At least in his previous films the over indulgence is limited and sort of plot related. Once Upon a Time... turns this up to 11 with all the unrelated flashbacks.

Early in the film I was intrigued by Tarantino using the flashbacks for humour and character backstory but quickly tired of these asides when I realised they were no longer funny or related to the plot.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:31 AM   #2376
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, this was really great.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #2377
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't know where to post this because it's so absurd, but this sounds like a Brazzers production and not a Lifetime movie (it's hilarious either way).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1335947170281885699
Old 12-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #2378
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Two films of note kind of blew me away in the last week. Mostly because I never watched or don't remember a whole lot about them:

The Rainmaker (1997):

On the surface, it sounds crazy boring about a young lawyer who tries to take down an insurance firm. Based on a Grisham novel and stars a young Matt Damon, a pre-blasting Danny DeVito, Danny Glover, Jon Voight, and Claire Danes.

It's an oddly optimistic movie, both in tone and story. There's really nothing ground-breaking here but it's just a simple plot that is told expertly.

By the end of the film, I wondered, "who the hell directed something so solid?" Yeah, Francis Ford Coppola. I had no idea and it explains a lot. It was also the last mainstream film that he directed... which seems like a shame.

Searching For Bobby Fischer (1993):

I know I watched this as a teen, but have little recollection of it. I imagine it's being pushed on Netflix because of The Queen's Gambit.

It's got a murderer's row of character actors: Joe Mantegna, Ben Kingsley, William H. Macy, Laurence Fishburne, Joan Allen, David Paymer, Tony Shalhoub and Laura Linney. I think I got them all.

Again, a simple plot about a would-be chess prodigy and learning to win/lose. There is no real antagonist (that exists as a character, at least) in the story, so creating conflict is tricky but they nail it.

I tend to ignore the opening credits (I'm working while watching), but again had the same question: "who the hell directed something so solid?" Yeah, Steven Zaillian... who also wrote the damn thing. The same guy who wrote screenplays for Schindler's List, The Irishman, Gangs of New York, Awakenings and Moneyball.

Both of these films, to me, are like a masterclass in film-making and story. I imagine the lack of a broad appeal is why they're not celebrated more.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #2379
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to Landmark right now to buy some popcorn before they get locked down.

Also Freaky was surprisingly good. Freaky Friday with a serial killer. haha
Old 12-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #2380
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Going to Landmark right now to buy some popcorn before they get locked down.

Also Freaky was surprisingly good. Freaky Friday with a serial killer. haha
Dont forget to add you 'Butter-like' topping.

"I cant believe its not Butter!!"

Whether you believe it or not....its not.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote