Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2023, 04:52 PM   #41
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this Spurs? I wonder.

Old 06-04-2023, 04:58 PM   #42
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
LOL it makes me laugh how people not being insane homers rattles you so much.
When you see a thread about player redemption stories, and you laugh to yourself "Yeah right! There's no chance any of these schmucks will experience redemption stories", it's just...really easy to not post in the thread? People staying on topic aren't insane homers, they're just discussing the topic at hand?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:03 PM   #43
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
When you see a thread about player redemption stories, and you laugh to yourself "Yeah right! There's no chance any of these schmucks will experience redemption stories", it's just...really easy to not post in the thread? People staying on topic aren't insane homers, they're just discussing the topic at hand?
That's the part I don't get.

Who is going to bounce back? I don't think anyone will this team is a bunch of bums so I just won't participate.

Now we have gone completely off topic discussing negative takes.

Even the Huberdeau bounce back you had to say hes not a 115 point player but a 70 point player completely ignoring what he did prior to that season.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:04 PM   #44
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I didn’t say that though, I said Hubredeau.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:05 PM   #45
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Coming into a redemption thread to say "Nobody" because...
- lack of quality linemates for Huberdeau
- saying you can't judge a 33-year old off 3 months when you're doing exactly that yourself and ignoring the prior 3 months and whole prior season
- flat out ignoring Kylingtons offensive stats while saying defensive metrics don't matter either to "prove" that Kylington is in fact a 4/5 defender
- creating your own narrative that wasn't mentioned in the thread to dump on Mangiapane
- ignoring the final 2 months of last season where Markstrom played at a much higher level than the start, because obviously he can't play at that level even though he literally finished last season doing so....that all seems pretty negative to me, and others as well apparently. Then there's your entire posting history on this site, which others have also noticed about you in the *checks join date* 2 months since you joined. Everything screams overly negative.
I didn’t come to the thread and say nobody. I came and answered the question with Hubreadeu.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:17 PM   #46
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t come to the thread and say nobody. I came and answered the question with Hubreadeu.
You said Huberdeau*

*Because he'll go from 55 points to a lower point total then he's ever been in the prior 4 seasons, so he wins "redemption" by default since nobody else will see any improvement anyways.

Even when you're trying to say you're not negative, you still clearly are, and others are clearly noticing as well.

But I think midniteowl is correct, and as they say, don't feed the trolls.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 05:25 PM   #47
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You said Huberdeau*

*Because he'll go from 55 points to a lower point total then he's ever been in the prior 4 seasons, so he wins "redemption" by default since nobody else will see any improvement anyways.

Even when you're trying to say you're not negative, you still clearly are, and others are clearly noticing as well.

But I think midniteowl is correct, and as they say, don't feed the trolls.
Where did I say by default?

Why do you have to continue to make things up that I didn't say? You are trying so hard to make this into me being negative. And now twice have lied about what I said.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:28 PM   #48
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mang needed surgery at the end of the season. I don't see why so many people don't think he will have a better year than last.

But Huby played further below his potential last season than any other Flame. So he's the obvious choice.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:29 PM   #49
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's get back on topic.

One guy not talked about is Weegar. It's not like he was horrible but I think he has another level in him and will be that #1 defenceman teams build around.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 05:33 PM   #50
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Let's get back on topic.

One guy not talked about is Weegar. It's not like he was horrible but I think he has another level in him and will be that #1 defenceman teams build around.
Yes I don't think it will be a redemption since he was already good last season but he is a guy that I think could take a big step up on and off the ice as well. From all the stories we are hearing coming out about the off ice issues Weegar seems to be a guy that comes out good as trying to work with both sides to get the team working together.

He had a great WC and even though the competition was far from great the plays he was making gives me hope that he can have more of an impact on the PP and offensively in general.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:34 PM   #51
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Where did I say by default?

Why do you have to continue to make things up that I didn't say? You are trying so hard to make this into me being negative. And now twice have lied about what I said.
Nobody else will see improvement or "I actually don't think we will see much difference from Mangiapane, Markstrom or Kadri next season" means Huberdeau by default. I dont need to "lie" about anything because many others have read your posts and came to same conclusion.

But you actually said Kylington because "nothing to meh" is the biggest improvement "even though it means nothing to you".

I see you've gone full troll now and aren't even addressing my points because you're too busy deflecting.

Overly negative indeed. Likely a troll.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:39 PM   #52
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Let's get back on topic.

Picking apart an overly negative post about why nobody will see a redemption arc so it defaults to Huberdeau or ok-ish 4/5 defender Kylington is on topic IMO.

I agree that Weegar will see his game elevate next year and people will give him some more credit as a top-pair defender. I also think he leads PP1
Old 06-04-2023, 05:43 PM   #53
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody else will see improvement or "I actually don't think we will see much difference from Mangiapane, Markstrom or Kadri next season" means Huberdeau by default. I dont need to "lie" about anything because many others have read your posts and came to same conclusion.
That is not what I said. I said nobody else will see that high of an improvement.

Why can't you say what was actually said?

Quote:
But you actually said Kylington because "nothing to meh" is the biggest improvement "even though it means nothing to you".
Yes to me Kylington didn't count because him missing last season doesn't count for me to be counted as zero and I think he will come back as the same level he was before taking the season off.
Quote:
I see you've gone full troll now and aren't even addressing my points because you're too busy deflecting.

Overly negative indeed. Likely a troll.
LOL what points? What questions have I deflected from?

I never said default that is a lie. I answered the question with Hubredeau so that was another lie from you.

You are flat out lying about what I said and I am the troll? LOL
Old 06-04-2023, 05:43 PM   #54
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Picking apart an overly negative post about why nobody will see a redemption arc so it defaults to Huberdeau or ok-ish 4/5 defender Kylington is on topic IMO.

I agree that Weegar will see his game elevate next year and people will give him some more credit as a top-pair defender. I also think he leads PP1
LOL lying about default again!
Old 06-04-2023, 05:50 PM   #55
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to say Weegar, but I don't think he counts as his performance and production was acceptable last season. He went from being mostly OK in the first half of the season, to being mostly really good in the second half.

I agree though, he could have another level in him and he seems to have the right attitude.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:51 PM   #56
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Huberdeau is probably back in the 80-90 point range with a better powerplay and linemates that click.

Once people set realistic expectations for him and his contract maybe the bashing can stop. He's being paid for what he did in Florida just like the Blue Jackets are paying Johnny for what he did here.

Huberdeau has been the better and more consistent player. I think his game ages better because it's more high IQ and less about being quick and shifty which go with age.
Even if he's being paid for his past performance, Flames got stuck paying at least a million more because they publicly disclosed the offer to Johnny.

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:13 PM   #57
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
Why do you think Kadri will be worse?
Because if you go back 10 seasons, last season was his 3rd best statistically.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:22 PM   #58
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Definitely Huberdeau, anomaly he performed so poor here but based on his playtime, coaching issues and playing RW stapled to Kadris line and or with Lucic I think it’s a safe bet a proper coach gets the real skill out of him.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:00 PM   #59
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Huberdeau will have a much better year. The head coach decision will have a big impact.

Another guy I think will really up his game is Weegar. After watching him at the worlds I think he is in for a big year.

My gut feel is Markstrom’s best days are behind him. He looked wrecked last year.
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:18 PM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has to be Markstrom.

I said it in another thread but if this team had gotten even bang-average NHL goaltending they'd have been in the playoffs.

We barely missed the playoffs while having the worst starting goaltender in the League.

If Markstrom crashes and burns again it doesnt much matter who else improves.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote