Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2023, 05:25 PM   #141
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So I was looking on Sidelineswap and noticed a seller named Stick2Skate from Calgary is selling Free Flames socks for 30 USD. Wonder who that could be?? Greed will be the reason these sales end not STH voicing their concerns

Last edited by gordo67; 06-12-2023 at 08:00 AM.
gordo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordo67 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 05:27 PM   #142
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Why? They are still his plus not as worn.
I am a collector. The more wear the better.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:58 PM   #143
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
To me it seems like every year there are only about 10 people that are the problem. These 10 or so people are typically the very first in line and once they get in they grab an obnoxious amount of items and go sit in a corner with about 65% of the good stuff. They don’t actually leave or bother checking out for hours. I was told that they grab the stuff and start communicating online with buyers and securing sales before they check out.

One solution might be to let the first 20 people in early and give them 45 minutes total to shop and process their transactions. Maybe this would allow for a bunch of the items to return to the tables for everyone else Vs being held to the very end and discarded back to the Flames.

I don’t know what the solution is but anything is an improvement.
Grabbing stuff and sitting in the corner, while they sort through all the good stuff, is another level of obnoxious. Basically, the same as reserving the first X spots in lines for friends and family. I have no idea why anyone thinks they have the right to do that.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 06:43 PM   #144
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo67 View Post
I am a collector. The more wear the better.
If I had known that I would have grabbed those $250 Lindholm gloves and sold them to you for $500. Each palm had a $125 hole worn in them .

The Kadri gloves were probably put back because they were all $250 a pair.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:48 PM   #145
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett532 View Post
Why would I be worried, I have season tickets. I have no problems how they run things, I've been going for 20+ years with zero complaints.
Out of curiosity has the event changed much in 20yrs?

My gut feel is no, but I really want to be surprised positively.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 06:50 PM   #146
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Out of curiosity has the event changed much in 20yrs?

My gut feel is no, but I really want to be surprised positively.

The only changes I can think of:

-Stopped selling gameworn jerseys there first
-Introduced the “exclusive STH” window last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 06:56 PM   #147
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
If I had known that I would have grabbed those $250 Lindholm gloves and sold them to you for $500. Each palm had a $125 hole worn in them .

The Kadri gloves were probably put back because they were all $250 a pair.
I should have worded that different. The more wear on a jersey the better. Gloves not so much I like them worn but not destroyed. I don’t collect a ton of equipment my main focus is jerseys
Old 06-06-2023, 07:25 PM   #148
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
To me it seems like every year there are only about 10 people that are the problem. These 10 or so people are typically the very first in line and once they get in they grab an obnoxious amount of items and go sit in a corner with about 65% of the good stuff. They don’t actually leave or bother checking out for hours. I was told that they grab the stuff and start communicating online with buyers and securing sales before they check out.

One solution might be to let the first 20 people in early and give them 45 minutes total to shop and process their transactions. Maybe this would allow for a bunch of the items to return to the tables for everyone else Vs being held to the very end and discarded back to the Flames.

I don’t know what the solution is but anything is an improvement.
100% this was happening. There were 1 or 2 on the phone trying to flip things they hadn't bought yet, and another one scrolling through resale sites and throwing out $$$ values for different items
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:51 PM   #149
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
100% this was happening. There were 1 or 2 on the phone trying to flip things they hadn't bought yet, and another one scrolling through resale sites and throwing out $$$ values for different items
Wtf.

What makes then think they have the right to create their own little mini store within the event where they get to decide what to take or not. They touched the item first so that means it's potentially their's?
Old 06-06-2023, 11:39 PM   #150
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo67 View Post
I should have worded that different. The more wear on a jersey the better. Gloves not so much I like them worn but not destroyed. I don’t collect a ton of equipment my main focus is jerseys
I know what you meant, I was just jerking your chain.

I have a game used Sergei Makarov stick that is beat to hell with a big crack in it...different hockey back then. Pretty sure I bought that a used equipment sale at Max Bell...I think I paid $30.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:41 PM   #151
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im just playing devils advocate as someone who has been in the front of the line multiple years...

Is there anything stopping the people complaining from arriving earlier than the people you're complaining about?

I stopped going to sales because I was there to get stuff to use and the prices started to get high enough where it didn't make sense. I do know the people at the front of the line are mostly hardcore collectors. Hell I have witnessed players coming back to the team after being traded and requesting these people bring out old gear of theirs so they could use it again. Most of the stuff they keep. Sure they do try to offset some of the collecting cost by re-selling some. I never saw a problem with it.

I would think if collecting was important enough to you, you would also find a way to be one of the first 5 or 6 in line.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:15 AM   #152
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Im just playing devils advocate as someone who has been in the front of the line multiple years...

Is there anything stopping the people complaining from arriving earlier than the people you're complaining about?

I stopped going to sales because I was there to get stuff to use and the prices started to get high enough where it didn't make sense. I do know the people at the front of the line are mostly hardcore collectors. Hell I have witnessed players coming back to the team after being traded and requesting these people bring out old gear of theirs so they could use it again. Most of the stuff they keep. Sure they do try to offset some of the collecting cost by re-selling some. I never saw a problem with it.

I would think if collecting was important enough to you, you would also find a way to be one of the first 5 or 6 in line.
I don't think people are upset with the hardcore collectors at all... I think some are discouraged with 4 or 5 guys with 25 practice jerseys each, 4 or 5 hockey bags filled with items sitting in a corner and trying to hustle it on Ebay.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 09:56 AM   #153
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post

Not everyone can afford to take a day of work or away from their families. From the sounds of it it's 5-6 people who are the problem and they've formed some kind of little mafia, where they grab all the good stuff and take it to their own area. It's not just a question of getting there before them and then grabbing an item or two you really want, as they are grabbing all the items as soon as the doors open.

So getting ahead of them in line, then rushing to the table and beating them at their own game - which likely means you grabbing all the stuff off a rack and putting it in your own little area - is going to be pretty tough. Why would you want to do that anyways?

Having a handful of scalpers grab an entire rack of items and then sit in a corner with them for hours while they decide what to buy is absurd and totally against the spirit of any sale. If you tried that at any other store, you'd be thrown out.

Those items also belong to the Flames until the purchase is made. I'd have a mind just to walk up to their little table and grab the stuff.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:05 AM   #154
ShotDownInFlames12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Wtf.

What makes then think they have the right to create their own little mini store within the event where they get to decide what to take or not. They touched the item first so that means it's potentially their's?

Why isn’t that their right though? If they got
To it first, why wouldn’t it be potentially theirs?

Why don’t the people that complain just go earlier? If someone wants to camp out 24 hours before, and others weren’t, why shouldn’t they be rewarded for that?

All this STH talk about how it’s unfair don’t seem to complain about reselling when they increase the prices of their playoff tickets. The argument is made that they do that cause they have to eat the cost of so many tickets they sell at a loss, or for free, throughout the year which makes sense. But it’s the same supply/demand situation.

If you don’t like it, that’s your right. And you’re allowed to go earlier to get a better chance. If you choose not to, that’s your right too, but really that’s your decision and then complain about it being unfair makes you look like a donkey.
ShotDownInFlames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:14 AM   #155
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotDownInFlames12 View Post

Why don’t the people that complain just go earlier? If someone wants to camp out 24 hours before, and others weren’t, why shouldn’t they be rewarded for that?

All this STH talk about how it’s unfair don’t seem to complain about reselling when they increase the prices of their playoff tickets. The argument is made that they do that cause they have to eat the cost of so many tickets they sell at a loss, or for free, throughout the year which makes sense. But it’s the same supply/demand situation.

If you don’t like it, that’s your right. And you’re allowed to go earlier to get a better chance. If you choose not to, that’s your right too, but really that’s your decision and then complain about it being unfair makes you look like a donkey.
Like I said, they do not own the items until after they've purchased them. Until that point, anyone has the right to browse through them and decide to purchase them. You can't just put everything in a pile and keep it for you own prolonged browsing.

If you do get there earlier, how do you deal with a half dozen people behind you running to the tables and grabbing everything and taking it to their own little area? You do the same thing yourself? Find your own posse of 5-6 people with nothing better to do with their time? Grab all the jerseys for yourself like they do, and then browse through them?

The whole point is that this isn't a situation where you have people arriving early and grabbing a few items for themselves. They are clearing entire tables and racks and taking those items over to their own area and spending hours sourcing buyers and pulling out the good items. No way to beat that other than to find 5-6 accomplices and do the same thing yourself, which most people would consider to be on the level of stealing, which it is as they are claiming ownership over items they have not paid for.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 10:28 AM   #156
hah
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Kadri gloves were priced at $250.00, which I found to be quite steep. While they were generally in good condition, I was able to snag a pair of Zadorov gloves (Red Warriors) that were mislabeled as size 15 instead of 14 and in excellent shape. It seems that the "collectors" overlooked this pair. Also missed out on the black RR socks.

Unfortunately, some individuals in the corner were more interested in hoarding gear and using their cell phones, rather than displaying proper sportsmanship/shopping etiquette. I would compare their behavior to that of the scalper wearing Broncos jacket guy, using a CP term.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:45 AM   #157
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hah View Post
The Kadri gloves were priced at $250.00, which I found to be quite steep. While they were generally in good condition, I was able to snag a pair of Zadorov gloves (Red Warriors) that were mislabeled as size 15 instead of 14 and in excellent shape. It seems that the "collectors" overlooked this pair. Also missed out on the black RR socks.

Unfortunately, some individuals in the corner were more interested in hoarding gear and using their cell phones, rather than displaying proper sportsmanship/shopping etiquette. I would compare their behavior to that of the scalper wearing Broncos jacket guy, using a CP term.
That’s exactly who I’ve been picturing this entire time.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:12 AM   #158
jatylo
Draft Pick

That's honestly too bad. This should be an event to give back to the fans instead of a side hustle for a select few. I had a hard enough time juggling 6 items so 10 should be a more than fair purchase limit.

Glad we atleast have this event since I'm always a bit starstruck looking at the gear used by some of the best. (spent 25 years in the Maritimes with only university level hockey to watch)
jatylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:17 AM   #159
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotDownInFlames12 View Post

Common Human Decency?
The fact that they don't actually own any of the products before they've paid for them?

What you're literally arguing is that the moment a person walks through the doors of a store, they potentially own everything, so no one else has the right to shop....

That's no how it works.... So long as the product remains in the confines of the "store", and has not been purchased and changed ownership, it is available to anyone.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wretched34 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 11:43 AM   #160
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why is anyone trying to explain away the behavior of those scumbags?

They're pieces of ####, that's all there is to it. It's ridiculous and embarrassing that they would even do that and feel no shame.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote