Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #341
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Sorry, but this is kind of the whole problem right now. With a lot of things. You shared it, you should know the source. Not knowing doesn’t absolve you.
Apologies. In the future I will only post news from Left wing media sources. We know they post factual information with no bias.

In all seriousness though, I agree with you. I shouldn't have been so quick to post without checking into it further.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:47 PM   #342
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/deneenknews/stat...673956938?s=20

This is a series of tweets from the Kenosha court reporter. Gives you some insight into the judge. Tldr. He's super deferential to the presumption of innocence but comes down hard on conviction.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:37 PM   #343
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
Apologies. In the future I will only post news from Left wing media sources. We know they post factual information with no bias.

In all seriousness though, I agree with you. I shouldn't have been so quick to post without checking into it further.
But you also said others were reporting it and you just happened to pick this guy. So maybe post some of the others reporting it, so we can see if there's anything to it?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:47 PM   #344
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But you also said others were reporting it and you just happened to pick this guy. So maybe post some of the others reporting it, so we can see if there's anything to it?
As already pointed out, there were others who used the tweet I posted as their source, hence why I said I should have looked more into who this fella was.

There were a few twitter follows who I think are universally viewed as generally reliable and reasonable who mentioned it, but have since deleted tweets. It appears they jumped the gun just as I did.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:09 AM   #345
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post

This is a series of tweets from the Kenosha court reporter. Gives you some insight into the judge. Tldr. He's super deferential to the presumption of innocence but comes down hard on conviction.
Also has the perception around town of being anti-black within the black community according to that series of tweets.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #346
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think this article pretty much sums up my thoughts:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-model/620715/

I am not so offended at a not guilty verdict due to self-defense, but I can't stand how he is being made out to be a good guy either. I believe his purpose there was to appear threatening to people he opposed and it probably worked better than he thought it would, putting himself in a situation where self-defense was required. So not guilty in a legal sense, but definitely not a good kid or a hero in any moral sense.
Kyle Rittenhouse brought an assault rifle to a protest/riot, killed two people, was lucky to have not killed a third, and is probably going to walk because he was “defending himself”. The idea that he should bear no responsibility for his actions other than to be labelled as “not a good kid or a hero” is an absurd point of view, defying any sense of logic.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #347
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Kyle Rittenhouse brought an assault rifle to a protest/riot, killed two people, was lucky to have not killed a third, and is probably going to walk because he was “defending himself”. The idea that he should bear no responsibility for his actions other than to be labelled as “not a good kid or a hero” is an absurd point of view, defying any sense of logic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #348
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post

To be fair the prosecutor attempting to slip in information that the judge already ruled was inadmissible is a massive deal. The jurors are all humans and not legal experts. Even if they've been instructed to ignore the information, the fact that it's in their minds is going to skew their judgement. That was a very serious and intentional breach by the prosecutor.

And judges having outbursts at counsel will occur many times during the course of a multi-week trial. I typically have short-term PTSD after finishing a trial, even if I've won.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #349
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Unsure of the validity of this source, but interesting nonetheless.

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/sta...342690311?s=20
Bit late to this, but I don't think US Marshals are privy to jury decisions or deliberations.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #350
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:

Doesn't have to be right wing or left wing. But maybe just not a Qanon/Pizzagate conspiracy theorist with known ties to White Supremacy and Antisemitism?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #351
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Doesn't have to be right wing or left wing. But maybe just not a Qanon/Pizzagate conspiracy theorist with known ties to White Supremacy and Antisemitism?
I think he's just caught in a lie and making excuses. There's no one universally viewed as reliable or reasonable who is going to retweet Posobiec. And I have trouble believing a poster who thinks the only alternative to Posobiec is "left wing media sources" and who accused people of being a bunch of Liberals for disagreeing with him is engaging in good faith.

The bias is pretty obvious here.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:18 PM   #352
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think he's just caught in a lie and making excuses. There's no one universally viewed as reliable or reasonable who is going to retweet Posobiec. And I have trouble believing a poster who thinks the only alternative to Posobiec is "left wing media sources" and who accused people of being a bunch of Liberals for disagreeing with him is engaging in good faith.

The bias is pretty obvious here.
I dunno, I guess I dont have as much experience with Mayer as you. I am not going to assume anything till I see a trend in that direction.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:29 PM   #353
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
There was 20 to start. One was dismissed for health reasons, the other made a Jacob Blake joke that got him removed.

Nevermind, Blankall's on it.
Quote:
Which this judge hilariously asked the guy to tell again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulham View Post
So now that its clear the evidence will exonerate Rittenhouse, all thats left is trying to make it out to be a sham trial. Very trump-esque tactic.

The judge wanting to confirm what was said so he could kick the juror out is now- "The judge wanted to laugh again at the inappropriate joke, so he asked the juror to repeat it for the lolz before he kicked him out"
Quote:
Where did I say any of that?
Since I didn’t get a response here, how was the request not absurdly hilarious?

- juror makes a joke about Jacob Blake (who’s shooting kick started national protests and riots)
- he is overhead telling this joke, someone tells the judge

So, now that you are on national television, with the country watching, do you care to repeat said joke in front of everyone? On record? I think it’s safe to say he was being removed from the jury whether or not the joke landed with the judge. It was a ridiculous request. I couldn’t help but laugh when he asked the question.

Like a teacher catching you passing a note, and asking if you want it read to the entire class. #### no you don’t.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #354
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you ignored everything else about the case, the judge handled that perfectly.

He asked if he was comfortable repeating the joke, not to repeat the joke. Before dismissing a juror because the prosecutor asked he was trying to get facts or else the defence would blow a gasket.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OptimalTates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #355
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:21 PM   #356
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

The rumors that the jurors are concerned about their families make sense.

One way or the other, they need to be protected because both sides have threatened them depending on how they rule.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:29 PM   #357
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post

If you ignored everything else about the case, the judge handled that perfectly.

He asked if he was comfortable repeating the joke, not to repeat the joke. Before dismissing a juror because the prosecutor asked he was trying to get facts or else the defence would blow a gasket.
My God...dude...read the room....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-17-2021, 03:36 PM   #358
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder how much precious precious property will be destroyed in the protests to the rittenhouse not guilty verdict

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:47 PM   #359
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
I wonder how much precious precious property will be destroyed in the protests to the rittenhouse not guilty verdict
Yeah you just know the same Antifa morons that were rioting in the first place are licking their lips for the chance to get after it again
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #360
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
Does Rittenhouse just pick up his rifle from the evidence locker, strap it on, walk outside the Courthouse and join in?

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:

Tags
guns , kenoshawisconsin , usa