Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-25-2022, 12:16 AM   #4841
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
It’s probably time for Canada to join California.
Nah, but I think we should entertain applications for lower British Columbia, lower lower BC and really really lower lower BC
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 12:18 AM   #4842
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I personally don't have a big skin in the abortion debate. I can see where some reasonable limits to certain conditions and scenarios would apply and I don't think there should be a big limit on access either. For too many people it really is an all or nothing issue in their eyes, typical American style.

I am really really curious how corporate America and big business reacts to this. With a lot of the really big social justice issues of our time, there is a lot of corporate talk, some chatter of support and lot's of tweeting but very little actually change or meaningful impacts. Lot's of committee's and emails back and forth.

I would love to see scenario's where corporate America goes full nuclear on this issue and really flexing their muscle, and losing business in the process. A specific state goes against your corporate policy and values, pull out. Close your office, shut down your factory, stop sending goods and services there. Go big. I don't see this actually happening but it would be interesting for a change.

I really do think the Democrats and the liberals really need to start playing the "game" a little more strategic and a lot less on some of their woke stuff to be honest. They are getting crushed in every aspect. The republicans are getting a lot of their agenda across, slowly but surely.

I look back at something like the BLM movement and the protests and everything that happened with that and with leagues that have majority black players, NBA and NFL. These players, their union and even the league couldn't even come up with some low level, meaningful change to benefit some members of their community. How hard would it have been to say we are going to make sure that team issued apparel for teams are going to be produced in an American factory with minority workers getting some quality jobs? Low level stuff. Instead we get tweets, kneeling, fists in the air and moments of silence.

Sometimes you gotta fight for what you believe in and hit them where it hurts.

Just my take.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:28 AM   #4843
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Nah, but I think we should entertain applications for lower British Columbia, lower lower BC and really really lower lower BC
Canada can annex the west coast, New York, and New England. The remaining states can then achieve their goal to become Jesusanistan
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:02 AM   #4844
SutterBrother
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Canada can annex the west coast, New York, and New England. The remaining states can then achieve their goal to become Jesusanistan
I mean, California is just so much bigger in every way but geography. Canada should join it! The economy would double in size, we’d have a warmer place to visit, Toronto would lose it’s “Center of the Universe” status to LA, and Californada wouldn’t be subject to the whims of rural voters from red states.

Win-win!
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:06 AM   #4845
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I personally don't have a big skin in the abortion debate. I can see where some reasonable limits to certain conditions and scenarios would apply and I don't think there should be a big limit on access either. For too many people it really is an all or nothing issue in their eyes, typical American style.

I am really really curious how corporate America and big business reacts to this. With a lot of the really big social justice issues of our time, there is a lot of corporate talk, some chatter of support and lot's of tweeting but very little actually change or meaningful impacts. Lot's of committee's and emails back and forth.

I would love to see scenario's where corporate America goes full nuclear on this issue and really flexing their muscle, and losing business in the process. A specific state goes against your corporate policy and values, pull out. Close your office, shut down your factory, stop sending goods and services there. Go big. I don't see this actually happening but it would be interesting for a change.

I really do think the Democrats and the liberals really need to start playing the "game" a little more strategic and a lot less on some of their woke stuff to be honest. They are getting crushed in every aspect. The republicans are getting a lot of their agenda across, slowly but surely.

I look back at something like the BLM movement and the protests and everything that happened with that and with leagues that have majority black players, NBA and NFL. These players, their union and even the league couldn't even come up with some low level, meaningful change to benefit some members of their community. How hard would it have been to say we are going to make sure that team issued apparel for teams are going to be produced in an American factory with minority workers getting some quality jobs? Low level stuff. Instead we get tweets, kneeling, fists in the air and moments of silence.

Sometimes you gotta fight for what you believe in and hit them where it hurts.

Just my take.

Individuals may feel that way however a corporation will not and cannot exact this type of change unless it is in their self interest. A board of governors is beholden to their shareholders and unless they can somehow twist a profit out of it - it won’t happen.

It’s the ultimate problem in American society - money. Corporations have no interest in change as it will usually mean less money to report over their next few quarters. It would take a pretty damn bold move to do it, the type of thing case studies are built on.

It doesn’t seem, to me at least - from the outside, that America has that type of will or leadership anymore.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 08:10 AM   #4846
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got bad news for you guys.

Washington, Oregon and California outside of Seattle, Portland, Bay Area, LA and San Diego are just as conservative as traditional red states.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #4847
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Washington, Oregon and California outside of Seattle, Portland, Bay Area, LA and San Diego are just as conservative as traditional red states.
Ya, and they aren't giving up their guns. Would Canadians welcome that massive influx? Doubtful.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:16 AM   #4848
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
I mean, California is just so much bigger in every way but geography. Canada should join it! The economy would double in size, we’d have a warmer place to visit, Toronto would lose it’s “Center of the Universe” status to LA, and Californada wouldn’t be subject to the whims of rural voters from red states.

Win-win!

California can join Canada.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:27 AM   #4849
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
California can join Canada.
But why? It would be just as advantageous, if not moreso, for them to be independent.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:33 AM   #4850
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
But why? It would be just as advantageous, if not moreso, for them to be independent.

I was just responding to the sentiments that Canada should join California or some west coast block. I am not very interested in being under their jurisdiction.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:35 AM   #4851
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
^^^^^^

Laugh Out Loud, its been going the way Republicans want for a few years and they are on the verge of taking the US to a place that Democrats can't get it back from. They don't even need a Republican president the way white, Christian America is doing everything they've ever wanted to do to bring things back to the old days.

Things are getting dangerous now, and I don't see how the US comes back from this spiral, myself.
What do you mean?

I have been calling there will be a civil war for years now and been mocked endlessly on here. It is coming, just a matter of time. Personally, you can’t come back from some of these issues because people view “the other side” as morally bankrupt pieces of #### not simply just “citizens who I disagree with”. This will in turn manifest into something worse. Once you start viewing those you disagree with as subhuman ethically zero scum, you’re ####ed. Once you start saying the political system doesn’t work (elections rigged, etc.) you’re ####ed. And once you literally can’t get anything done in law creation or governance (majority of the country wants gun control and abortion rights), you’re ####ed.

America as a country will break up at some point just like every other nation in history. So will Canada likely. But for the USA it’s probable it is a whole hell of a lot more violent. What we are witnessing with the Jan 6 coup and now this, and then future events certain to unfold is the breakdown of the American empire. It’s sad and unfortunate because the States was a truly great country at one point but has lost it’s way. The last thing we can possibly hope for now, is that the break up is as peaceful as possible. Different from the American Civil War, where economic drivers were more established in southern states, this one has a chance to be more peaceful because really, who gives a F about Alabama. Jesusville south country can take it and the other assbackward States and it won’t impact things too much (as long as the Democrats can hold onto some Midwest states and rich farmland).

Anyway, it’s sad, but my point and overall position is that if this is the country Republicans want, let them have it. Just get the split over with before millions of people have to innocently die. Take a ####ing map and say knock yourself out here’s Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, etc. and we’ll go over here and continue to be the country we originally aspired to and set out to be.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 06-25-2022 at 08:37 AM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:58 AM   #4852
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

You could say the same of virtually everywhere. Huge parts of rural BC, Ontario and Quebec are all conservative too.

Last edited by chedder; 06-25-2022 at 09:08 AM.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #4853
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

The thought just dawned on me...

- Moderate republicans who want access to abortion moving to states that are blue enough to allow abortion in some form, but are still moderate enough in other areas that republicans favour (small government, etc)
- Democrats (of any ilk) in red states (of any ilk) moving to states that are at least blue enough to never have to worry about turning red

Some questions:
- are those scenarios legit?
- does this now see moderate blue states turn red because of the uptick in otherwise republican voters?
- was that part of the motive behind this decision?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #4854
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
SoCal shall now be known as SoCan.
I'd welcome a winter home in Palm Springs, Canada.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:57 AM   #4855
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The thought just dawned on me...

- Moderate republicans who want access to abortion moving to states that are blue enough to allow abortion in some form, but are still moderate enough in other areas that republicans favour (small government, etc)
- Democrats (of any ilk) in red states (of any ilk) moving to states that are at least blue enough to never have to worry about turning red

Some questions:
- are those scenarios legit?
- does this now see moderate blue states turn red because of the uptick in otherwise republican voters?
- was that part of the motive behind this decision?
Cost of living an economic opportunity will dictate where people live.

See the blueing of Texas and Arizona
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:19 AM   #4856
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Outside of where all the people live, it’s pretty conservative, yes.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #4857
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
No universal healthcare, no mandatory maternity leave and now forced births even for rapes and incest.

What a shathole of a country the USA is.
And school children who have to practise hiding under their desks in case of a gun attack. When one happens they have to play dead and smear a classmate’s blood on themselves. On Twitter someone said she wanted to attend a protest but was afraid there might be a gun attack.

That’s the shathole country the U.S. has turned into.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:49 PM   #4858
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
And school children who have to practise hiding under their desks in case of a gun attack. When one happens they have to play dead and smear a classmate’s blood on themselves. On Twitter someone said she wanted to attend a protest but was afraid there might be a gun attack.

That’s the shathole country the U.S. has turned into.
You do know kids in Canada do lock down drills right?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:02 PM   #4859
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
I’m aware, but most are not for the risk of a gun attack. One school near me had a lockdown for a dog running loose in the building. The risk of a gunman is nowhere near what it is in the States.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2022, 01:14 PM   #4860
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
But do you know the last school shooting in this province occurred in the 20th century?

Compared to 27 in 2022 alone, as of the end of May?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post: