Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-06-2023, 08:23 PM   #16441
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saros was the only reason Nashville was in a playoff race seems strange to trade him mid season for late 1st round picks.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 08:38 PM   #16442
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC, Nashville started selling even though they weren't eliminated from the playoffs yet?
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 08:47 PM   #16443
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

They did but they hoodwinked the Oilers into taking a broken Ekholm.

Just seems weird to trade you franchise goalie even Anaheim kept Gibson.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:05 PM   #16444
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what's rare in sports or the corporate world is the ability for lower staff who see the reality, to speak up and have upper management accept that reality. If Nashville truly was open to selling even though they're in the thick of the race, it tells me they have a smart organization looking to build to a long term plan while not succumbing to the pressures of easy playoff money at the expense of long term growth. Probably a mature organization behind the scenes, and not run by a bunch of corporate bozos.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:21 PM   #16445
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Meh, I don't fall for highlight videos. College basketball and hockey juniors show you can't trust the skill shown. Simply put a broken clock is right twice a day, and by the same token a particular skill could be shown off but consistency is where it's at. Every single NHLer has flashes of brilliance at times but the true ones are consistent. I haven't followed Konecny's career closely to say one way or another but watching a highlight video or select plays is a recipe for disaster.
That's true. Highlight videos just by their nature only show you the best parts. I can't lie and say I have watched more than just a few Flyers games per season over the years, plus highlights. From what I have seen though, I really like Konecny and think he checks a lot of the boxes. I would say he is like a poor man's Tkachuk in a lot of ways, but slightly smaller with better skating.

- He is a top 6 RW who shoots right, which checks a big box.
- He has a history of decent production.
- He plays with a chip on his shoulder and can goad players into taking penalties.
- He hits and plays bigger than his size.
- He is really good around the net and has a decent shot. Always seems to sneak into open areas.
- He is apparently fun to be around and could bring some needed levity to the locker room after last season.
- His defensive game has improved under Torts. He is one of the Flyers main penalty killing forwards.
- He apparently has some personal ties to Calgary, so he might actually welcome playing here.

The only downsides that I am aware of, is like Tkachuk, he can go overboard with the antics and take dumb penalties and he can be a little inconsistent. While he has been a PPG player last season and has approached that level in 2 other seasons, he seems to do it in bunches.

He played 60 games last season because of injury, and had 61 points. But he was held off the scoreboard in 21 games. He gets a lot of multi-point games. One of those players who when they are on, they are really on, but also goes pointless for stretches. But let's face it, if he was more consistent, he'd be a 100 point player and out of our price range anyway, and at least he can do other things other than score.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-06-2023 at 09:23 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:35 PM   #16446
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Bring me Travis Konecny this instant.

He’s a fine player, but is he a difference maker? Or is he just more of that middle tier player that keeps us where we are?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 09:42 PM   #16447
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

He’s a fine player, but is he a difference maker? Or is he just more of that middle tier player that keeps us where we are?
Difference maker like how? Can he win games in his own? No, but there are like a handful of players who can. He is the type of player you want to go to war with though.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 09:49 PM   #16448
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Difference maker like how? Can he win games in his own? No, but there are like a handful of players who can. He is the type of player you want to go to war with though.
I think I’d sooner work on drafting a Konecny, not trading significant assets to acquire that player.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 09:50 PM   #16449
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

We would move out Lindholm, bring in Konecny and be the same team.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:55 PM   #16450
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, if you can keep Lindholm and get Konency while flipping out Backlund/Toffoli/Mangipane then I'm board. Zero point if Lindholm is gone
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 10:01 PM   #16451
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like konecny but I don't think the flames are in a place to acquire him. The price would be high and I feel like we have enough konecny caliber players.

Only way it makes sense is if you re-sign lindy, trade 2 or mor3 of the remaining 2024 UFAs + vladar for picks/prospects then flip some of those into konecny.

Seems like alot of conditions for a marginal improvement.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:02 PM   #16452
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
They did but they hoodwinked the Oilers into taking a broken Ekholm.

Just seems weird to trade you franchise goalie even Anaheim kept Gibson.
Askarov is in the pipeline. Why not sell high? Lots of teams, like us, miss the window of selling high.

If LA is willing to pay a high premium for Saros, I think Trotz will gladly pack his bags.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:04 PM   #16453
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Konecny does nothing for me in regards to the Flames.

Especially if Briere is out there with rookie gm magic.

Flames need to move their assets for good hauls. Not spend assets and give good hauls for lateral move guys like Konecny.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:36 PM   #16454
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
I like konecny but I don't think the flames are in a place to acquire him. The price would be high and I feel like we have enough konecny caliber players.
I don't think we have enough players of his caliber. A PPG, 30 goal scores, who also kills penalties isn't something we have a lot of. Not to mention he is only 26 and has 2 seasons left at $5.5 million per.

I do agree though, that if Lindholm is traded and we can't get another #1 center, nothing really matters.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:00 PM   #16455
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Yup, this was how Oilers drafted Yakupov.
Bold of you to assume they even watched highlights and didn't just read a few Sportsnet/TSN draft rankings.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 11:04 PM   #16456
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
We would move out Lindholm, bring in Konecny and be the same team.
Lesser team.
really? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:56 PM   #16457
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man the flames consistently ####ing suck hard at taking advantage of trade opportunities. Provorov is worse than hanifin. We could have had a great return for hanifin from Columbus. The teams were already rumored to be talking... it's just stupid that we're again going to hold on to #### players who can't win because of some arcane one sided loyalty to the club we've built around them. ####in hell. They're really going to try to run this steaming pile of #### back to the end zone.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:30 AM   #16458
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Man the flames consistently ####ing suck hard at taking advantage of trade opportunities. Provorov is worse than hanifin. We could have had a great return for hanifin from Columbus. The teams were already rumored to be talking... it's just stupid that we're again going to hold on to #### players who can't win because of some arcane one sided loyalty to the club we've built around them. ####in hell. They're really going to try to run this steaming pile of #### back to the end zone.
We really have no idea what happened behind the scenes.

Hanifin only has 1 season left before UFA, and perhaps that made a huge difference to Columbus, as Hanifin wouldn’t engage in extension discussions with Columbus?

A players “value” is based on a number of factors which you’ve conveniently ignored.

Maybe Columbus simply likes Porovov more?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 04:32 AM   #16459
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by really? View Post
Lesser team.
How about in 2024 when we would have the advantage of Konecny playing vs. No one as Lindholm would have left?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:09 AM   #16460
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't think acquiring Konecny has much of an impact on Lindholm at all. If anything it might entice him to stay but the cap is going to be hard to manage.

The second the Flames signed Kadri it made signing Lindholm very difficult. We are paying our 2nd line center 7 million dollars and Lindholm brings so much more than Kadri does to the table.

I'm all for acquiring Konecny though assuming that we can center the deal around Mangiapane. The cap would essentially have to equal to make things work.

If Conroy could ship Kadri back to Colorado with a bit of retention I would also look to do so. Backlund is still a more than capable 2C and you could give Dube the 3C role and slowly prepare him to take over the 2C in 2025. I don't think it's out of question that Dube could become a viable 2C with his bite speed and skill.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post: