Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-06-2023, 02:24 AM   #1341
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I hope Koehn Ziemmer is taken if he’s available in the second round.
The kid had 89 points and 41 goals in 68 games in the WHL. A nearly 200 lb RW from Alberta. FC hockey has his ranked 46th.

Perhaps the Flames could trade for one of Detroit's three consecutive 2nd round picks (41/42/43). Detroit needs defense. Tanev, Zadorov, etc. would have value. Tanev is probably worth more than one of these 2nds on his own. Detroit has a lot of cap space as well.
Almost everything about him says he should be late 1st round, if he works on his leg strength to get that explosive first step needed in the NHL he could be a real find in the 2nd round, I hear he's a massive oiler fan so he may need some cleaning before he gets a camp invite though.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 03:30 AM   #1342
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Koehn Ziemmer.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 04:14 AM   #1343
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I love Koehn Ziemmer.
Listed 6'0, 202lbs at 17 years old

Assuming he goes I think the combine will be a huge importance for this kids draft position, is he a physical specimen like Jarome Iginla was or fat like Rasmus Andersson was? fat with talent still gets you drafted but how far does one slip?
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 10:14 AM   #1344
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Two new rankings, and two updates.

Flames group seems to have narrowed somewhat by the average.

Big Five

Player Position Average
1 Connor Bedard C 1.00
2 Adam Fantilli C 2.06
3 Matvei Michkov RW 3.50
4 Leo Carlsson C 3.69
5 Will Smith C 5.25

Next Two

6 Zach Benson F 7.50
7 Ryan Leonard C 9.25

Group Before Calgary

8 Dalibor Dvorský C 10.50
9 Oliver Moore C 11.81
10 Axel Sandin Pellikka D 12.19
11 David Reinbacher D 12.56
12 Colby Barlow LW 14.44

Flames Likely Pick (based on averages)

13 Gabe Perreault RW 16.19
14 Eduard Sale RW 16.31
15 Matthew Wood F 16.44
16 Nate Danielson C 16.56

Next Tier

17 Brayden Yager C 19.19
18 Dmitri Simashev D 21.00
19 Samuel Honzek C 21.69
20 Otto Stenberg C 22.06
21 Quentin Musty LW 22.87
22 Andrew Cristall LW 23.50
23 Mikhail Gulyayev D 23.75
24 Daniil But LW 24.20
25 Calum Ritchie C 24.50
26 Gavin Brindley RW 24.50
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 03:02 PM   #1345
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Two new rankings, and two updates.

Flames group seems to have narrowed somewhat by the average.

Big Five

Player Position Average
1 Connor Bedard C 1.00
2 Adam Fantilli C 2.06
3 Matvei Michkov RW 3.50
4 Leo Carlsson C 3.69
5 Will Smith C 5.25

Next Two

6 Zach Benson F 7.50
7 Ryan Leonard C 9.25

Group Before Calgary

8 Dalibor Dvorský C 10.50
9 Oliver Moore C 11.81
10 Axel Sandin Pellikka D 12.19
11 David Reinbacher D 12.56
12 Colby Barlow LW 14.44

Flames Likely Pick (based on averages)

13 Gabe Perreault RW 16.19
14 Eduard Sale RW 16.31
15 Matthew Wood F 16.44
16 Nate Danielson C 16.56

Next Tier

17 Brayden Yager C 19.19
18 Dmitri Simashev D 21.00
19 Samuel Honzek C 21.69
20 Otto Stenberg C 22.06
21 Quentin Musty LW 22.87
22 Andrew Cristall LW 23.50
23 Mikhail Gulyayev D 23.75
24 Daniil But LW 24.20
25 Calum Ritchie C 24.50
26 Gavin Brindley RW 24.50
I'd be happy with any of the players in the Flames group, and I'd imagine there a player or two in the group above who will fall and still be available at our pick as well. I'm starting to lean towards Matthew Wood as my preferred pick.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 03:07 PM   #1346
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm starting to lean towards Matthew Wood as my preferred pick.

I'm starting to get some Iggy vibes from him myself

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk
aaronkarlpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronkarlpatton For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 03:13 PM   #1347
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wood and Danielson are still my top 2 in our range.
I feel like Wood could go top 10 though.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 03:23 PM   #1348
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkarlpatton View Post

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk
I'm not. Wood is big with a big shot but doesn't use his big body that well and the biggest red flag is his skating. I see more Joe Colborne than Jarome Iginla.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 03:28 PM   #1349
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

I found a bottle of Jägermeister while cleaning… This has to be a sign of Pick 16.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:28 PM   #1350
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wasn’t Jarome criticized for skating too though?

Also Wood definitely plays a harder game than Colborne, I’m not sure that’s a fair comparable myself.
I’ve seen him compared more to a Tage Thompson, high scoring shot focused winger with size. Not the fastest, not a real playmaker but reliably defensively and a knack for scoring with a great shot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 03:30 PM   #1351
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I am the Flames and he is there I go Gabe Perreault. Yes he is undersized right now but I believe he is still only 17, his skating is ok but not high end but that can be worked on. What he does have is off the charts hockey IQ, I think he is one of those boom picks, his numbers don't lie. At 16 this is where the Flames should go for the boom or bust pick because they really need to hit on that boom.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 03:36 PM   #1352
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Wasn’t Jarome criticized for skating too though?

Also Wood definitely plays a harder game than Colborne, I’m not sure that’s a fair comparable myself.
I’ve seen him compared more to a Tage Thompson, high scoring shot focused winger with size. Not the fastest, not a real playmaker but reliably defensively and a knack for scoring with a great shot.
You very well could be right and I admit I have not seen a lot of Wood's play. If the scouting staff think he is the guy they know what they are doing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 03:44 PM   #1353
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If I am the Flames and he is there I go Gabe Perreault. Yes he is undersized right now but I believe he is still only 17, his skating is ok but not high end but that can be worked on. What he does have is off the charts hockey IQ, I think he is one of those boom picks, his numbers don't lie. At 16 this is where the Flames should go for the boom or bust pick because they really need to hit on that boom.
I think he’s a gamer and struggles with consistency but watch out if something is on the line… even a skittle.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:52 PM   #1354
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Yes this is very true.
I’ve also heard that Woods IQ isn’t as high as we’d all probably like so I wouldn’t be upset with a Perrault either.

Honestly, there’s so many options in the mid this year it’s almost too much lol.
You just hope the flames strike gold, so we’ve got to trust the real scouts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 01:53 AM   #1355
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkarlpatton View Post

Full stop, Matthew Wood is no Iggy, he's big, strong and powerful but isn't physical at all and his straight line speed is not good at all, nice hands, deadly shot and his IQ is average but in the end I think he's a bottom 6 winger at best. Then again, I thought the same thing about Tage Thompson

To much of a risk at 16 IMO
Old 06-07-2023, 02:12 AM   #1356
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Draft Thoughts (Late Rounds Edition):

-Joey Willis is a 5'10",165lb LHC playing for Saginaw of the OHL, a team on the rise after finishing 7th overall this year, and second-last the year prior. The team that drafts Willis is not picking him on the strength of his numbers this year, 15 goals and 44 points in 68 games, but rather because of his defensive game and smarts. He will surely have much greater point totals in the next 2 years as he grows with the team, and gets a bigger role with the talent around him there. Willis doesn't have too many standout traits, but his greatest qualities are his brain and his motor. It is believed that his mediocre point totals are more the result of his unwavering attention to defense, than anything related to his offensive skills, but he does seem to lack high-end passing skill, and he's not a big shooter. In spite of this, he has good puck skills and a top-notch off-puck game that both helps facilitate offense, and puts him ahead of the play defensively. He gets a lot of "third assists", as he plays a checking role even in the offensive zone, taking opponents sticks and manipulating them into giving up space for his teammates. He will cover the point for pinching D-men, as well. Defensively, he makes life hard for opponents carrying the puck the other way, having the anticipation to constantly thwart their efforts, often killing the rush in the neutral zone. There's a small splash of physicality in his game over the course of performing his checking duties, and he's a good pick-pocket as well. Willis is neither big, nor particularly fast, but his motor and vision make up for most of his deficiencies. He is pretty highly rated on some lists, but look for him in the later rounds.

-LHC Isac Hedqvist could be a high-value pick in the later rounds. 14 goals and 34 points in 41 games for Lulea- the second-best team in Sweden's J20 Norra Division, which was good enough to earn him a 6-game cup of coffee in the SHL, along with 4 playoff games with the big club. Hedqvist loves to have the puck on his stick, and is smart with good IQ and vision in all 3 zones. He handles the puck at a high level, and has an array of slick 1-on-1 moves. Hedqvist is a quality playmaker with oodles of deception and manipulation in his game, and his off-puck routes draw defenders to him, thus opening up space for teammates and facilitating chances. He's definitely not the most prolific goal-scorer, and he needs work on his shot, but won't hesitate to shoot when it's the right play. Despite standing only 5'11", and 170 lbs, he is not afraid to attack the middle lanes, either by passing or shooting, and he will go the net. He never backs down from puck battles in any area of the ice, even against much larger opponents, and can play a physical game. Defensively, he has the skating and anticipation to kill play after play, and is usually on the right side of the puck, although his consistency in this area is up-and-down on a game-to-game basis. If Hedqvist can get his skating up a notch, and add strength, he could be a late-round steal.

-Only 2 teams fail to qualify for the playoffs on a yearly basis in the Q, as there's only 18 teams in the league. The Saint John Sea Dogs made it to the postseason, finishing 15th overall, but were out in 5 games against Gatineau. LW/C Cole Burbidge was the second-leading scorer on the team, with 19 goals and 50 points in 68 games- behind overager Brady Burns. Burbidge is pretty polarizing, with more than his share of detractors, but he has a solid base of skill and sense to work with- and while he's far from a guaranteed NHL player, most of his problems will clear up as he adds strength to his 6'1",161lb body, and cleans up his skating stride. He's also one of the youngest players in the draft, with an August 26th birthday, and he's still raw. The best part of his game is his inside-driven offense, with his ability to cut to the slot for shot opportunities, or deploy his high-danger passes- and despite his slim build, he's a load to handle in front of the net. CB shows some ability below the goal line as well, coming away with the puck, and finding teammates in front of the net. There's plenty of deception in his playmaking, and he can complete a no-look pass across the ice, or draw defenders away from coverage. His puck-movement and distribution skills are above average. but his shot and release need refinement, both in power and quickness. Transitionally, he makes good, heads-up reads through the neutral zone, whether he's carrying the puck or making himself open. Defensively, he's somewhere around average, though the Sea Dogs are dead-last in goals against by 17. This is a kid who might be a top scorer in the Q over the next few years, whether he's taken with a late pick or not. Burbidge is already 20th in scoring for players 18-and-under in the Q.

-Italian-born, Swiss-bred C/LW Tommaso De Luca was the second-leading under-18 player in scoring for Switzerland's J20 league in 2021-22, earning 1 game in the men's league. He looks to be headed back to Ambri-Piotta for the 2023-24 season, but he went on a journey this year to come across the pond and play for Spokane of the WHL, with 16 goals and 49 points in 65 games. The Chiefs were the second-worst team in the league, with the third-worst goals-for, which may be the reason he's going back home next year. De Luca, from all reports, got better and better in all facets of his game as the season wore on. Early in the year, he wasn't holding on to pucks very long, opting for short possessions, but he was driving play by season's end. De Luca is an excellent skater, but needs a better top gear- still, he can sometimes separate from opponents, and beat defenders wide. According to Elite Prospects, TDL scored in the 80th percentile-and-above in the 'Dub in both scoring chances, and scoring chance passes per-60, and had high-end transition numbers- amazing, considering the team he played for. He's obviously more of a passer, but he has an ok shot with a nice release, and is good around the net. In the neutral zone, he uses deception to get the puck around, or through opponents with fakes, changes of direction, and slowing down to wait for the right play. His off-puck game is a real strength, and he understands how to open space, and then work within it, but he can also eliminate off-puck threats, and is good at anticipating the next move. Defensively, he's efficient and keeps his stick active to disrupt plays, and start the play going the opposite direction. He is generally a hard worker who plays with pace, but scouts would like him to use his body more to separate his man from the puck. He also needs work on his shot, and needs to further upgrade his skating, strength, and physicality. It's hard to tell how his game will translate to the NHL, but he might have the ceiling of a bottom-6 NHLer. Later rounds.

Last edited by Sandman; 06-07-2023 at 02:22 AM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 07:16 AM   #1357
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be extremely happy if the Flames came away with either Perrault (slight edge) or Wood with at 16.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:40 AM   #1358
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1666434304547717123
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 07:49 AM   #1359
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope for a center, but I trust the scouts if they think a top end winger is the way to go.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:03 AM   #1360
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I hope for a center, but I trust the scouts if they think a top end winger is the way to go.
what if it's a blueliner or goalie?
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2023 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft