Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2023, 08:46 AM   #581
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
Yes it was the club that had the most FA Cups, a club that while not winning every year won trophies more often than a whopping 1 in 23 years. It was a club that didn't break records by not signing a player for 500+ days, breaking records by not hiring a manager for 70+ days. It was a club that didn't waste the career of the best English player of his generation by choosing to sack any competent DOF so that Levy could ensure that he was able to meddle in football transfers.

Levy had Kane and Son in their primes and his ego was too big to let football people make football decisions. He hired Jose and Conte and felt that bringing in Rodon, Royal and Spence was the way that the club would win with them in charge. If you can't recognize the gross incompetence that has been present for every minute that Daniel Levy has been in charge of this club I do not know what more to say, but hey we have a shiny new stadium that surely makes up for the complete lack of any success on the pitch. After all isn't cool stadiums and impressive balance sheets what football is all about?
Well, I just wonder what the point of a beautiful stadium is, if you can't keep your star player? Kane obviously could be a club legend, but does that status get tarnished if he goes to another PL club and wins things there?

And why can't we compete? Why do we have enormous matchday revenue, and revenues in general that rival the other big clubs, and yet we struggle to keep pace on the pitch? That comes down to the board and Levy. The current managerial search is not that different from the time we appointed Nuno...which was a disaster. I'm admittedly more interested in what Postecoglou can bring to the table and maybe he's at least going to play an attractive style. But really....we've been absolutely rudderless for months. The Paratici situation is basically dereliction of duty to have no backup plan. The issues with Conte, while somewhat understandable given his personal situation, are a repeat of the Mourinho issue but this time ending in a terrible end to the season.

So, here we are with rumblings of significant turnover in the squad, a new manager on the cusp of taking over (allegedly) and we have no DoF and seemingly no plan for this operation. It's unbelievable that any business would allow that kind of situation to persist. But hey, they made some great real estate developments, and I'm sure that the new apartment block or whatever is going to be lovely.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 09:02 AM   #582
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should go off the board and hire a lovable, optimistic and hilarious US college football coach. Preferably a Div II school. For some reason I just feel like that would work.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 10:30 AM   #583
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol!

Quote:
Newcastle United's majority owners, the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund (PIF), has taken ownership of the Saudi Pro League's four leading clubs, including Cristiano Ronaldo's Al Nassr and Al Ittihad, the side close to agreeing a deal to sign Karim Benzema.

All Saudi clubs were previously "owned but not controlled" by the Ministry of Sport.

Multi-club ownership of teams participating in the same competition is not permitted in major leagues across the world, including the Premier League and LaLiga, while UEFA has forced Red Bull-owned teams RB Leipzig and FC Salzburg to prove a distinct difference in their organisational structure to enable both sides to compete in European club competitions.

There are no such restrictions in Saudi Arabia, which enables the PIF to become majority shareholders in the four teams.

Benzema is close to agreeing a deal to sign for Al Ittihad following his departure from Real Madrid, while ESPN has reported that Al Hilal have made a lucrative offer for Lionel Messi to join them when his Paris Saint-Germain contract expires at the end of this month.
https://global.espn.com/football/sto...-club-al-nassr

"We'll definitely win this year! We own all the teams! Also lets trot out some old superstars who should have retired!"

This is getting beyond ridiculous.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 11:07 AM   #584
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the Saudis just trot out their expensive European players in their non-competitive league and pat themselves on the back for it.

One company owns all the clubs - so they just want everyone to have fun and be friends.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:06 PM   #585
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

let's have an El Clasico every single weekend then.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1666140772544937990
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 01:49 PM   #586
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
So the Saudis just trot out their expensive European players in their non-competitive league and pat themselves on the back for it.

One company owns all the clubs - so they just want everyone to have fun and be friends.
And we used to joke that MLS was a 'Retirement League' for the guys who just wanted one last lap or two, this is just ridiculous.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-06-2023, 01:51 PM   #587
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
let's have an El Clasico every single weekend then.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1666140772544937990
I thought Real pulled out of that?

I mean, its obvious why Juve and Barca dont want to let the dream die...they are damned near insolvent and they need the extra cash.

Old 06-06-2023, 01:53 PM   #588
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's a retirement home on steroids, basically. Benzema is getting €200m per year, and thy've also offered €100m per year to Kanté. We'll see if they just go nuts now because they want to secure the 2030 WC next year, or if they'll go on with this after that as well ... either way, it's bat#### crazy.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:02 PM   #589
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Messi offer is the funniest of all, allegedly €1.2 billion for two years lol. Outside of illegal streams, where can you even watch this league?
Old 06-06-2023, 02:04 PM   #590
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The Messi offer is the funniest of all, allegedly €1.2 billion for two years lol. Outside of illegal streams, where can you even watch this league?
I thought they also owned BEIN?

Old 06-06-2023, 02:09 PM   #591
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Qataris own beIN, so obviously Saudi League will never be on that network. A quick glance at Wikipedia shows it is available in nine European countries, including Austria, so at least devo can keep us in the loop if he wants lol.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:30 PM   #592
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are these stars with guaranteed dump trucks full of money even going to give 30% effort? They all work for the same employer, why would they even try to compete?

The match intensity probably resemble pregame warmups in normal leagues.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:40 PM   #593
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean if my employer was known for their propensity for summarily executing individuals I would probably put in something that resembles an acceptable effort.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:24 PM   #594
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Qataris own beIN, so obviously Saudi League will never be on that network. A quick glance at Wikipedia shows it is available in nine European countries, including Austria, so at least devo can keep us in the loop if he wants lol.
Right! Thanks for the clarification. I do get my Middle Eastern Bond Villain Consortiums mixed up on occasion.

Quote:
I mean if my employer was known for their propensity for summarily executing individuals I would probably put in something that resembles an acceptable effort.
I dont know man, I've worked for employers that think they absolutely own you and it sucks. This is a very literal case of 'selling your soul.'

I guess it depends on their relationship. I just dont know what the Saudis expect to gain from this, they hope it'll help their World Cup bid? How?

If nobody can see the matches it doesnt really elevate the status of their domestic league. These guys are going to pulling training ground tricks in matches against the rest of these clowns.

Not to mention, I dont think FIFA are going to be awarding any more Middle-East World Cups again anytime soon.

Old 06-06-2023, 06:46 PM   #595
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
it's a retirement home on steroids, basically. Benzema is getting €200m per year, and thy've also offered €100m per year to Kanté. We'll see if they just go nuts now because they want to secure the 2030 WC next year, or if they'll go on with this after that as well ... either way, it's bat#### crazy.
So first it was the chinese league with brazillians, now the saudis, after 2030 they wont want to keep this up so some new petro state will be offering mbappe a billion dollars a year in 2035
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 06:48 PM   #596
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The kante one is insane to me, he is/was a great player, I think moreso was at this point, but what revenue is a DM driving?

I can see the commercial stuff with ronaldo, messi, and big benz at least offering something

But kante?
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 01:30 AM   #597
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
The kante one is insane to me, he is/was a great player, I think moreso was at this point, but what revenue is a DM driving?

I can see the commercial stuff with ronaldo, messi, and big benz at least offering something

But kante?
Yeah...thats...odd.

Old 06-07-2023, 08:39 AM   #598
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Messi to Miami looks to be a done deal!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:04 AM   #599
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Messi joining the worst team in the league is legit hilarious, gonna be fun to see MLS rig their games to get them into the playoffs. Opponents getting three reds in the first five minutes is gonna be awesome.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:37 AM   #600
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Messi joining the worst team in the league is legit hilarious, gonna be fun to see MLS rig their games to get them into the playoffs. Opponents getting three reds in the first five minutes is gonna be awesome.
I don't watch the MLS so maybe I am selling it short but isn't Messi, even at 35, good enough that he alone can get his team into the play-offs?
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diving , hooligans , orange slices