Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-06-2023, 05:13 AM   #41
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I like Debrincat, but there’s no point in trading for him if there isn’t any extension in place. And I get the feeling he likely wouldn’t sign in Calgary long-term
Old 06-06-2023, 06:31 AM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I am not sure the Sens rushed their rebuild. They have locked up 4 prospects they developed in Chabot, Tkachuk, Norris, Stutzle. With all those guys getting paid the time to win should be soon so trading 1st rounders for 24-25 year old proven star players makes sense. You can’t be wasting years of these second contracts without trying to move the team forward.
They should probably hire a better coach than DJ Smith if they are worried about wasting years of those second contracts. While they are at it maybe they could sort out their goaltending issues as well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 07:13 AM   #43
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I think about it, the more I view the Flames as an unlikely target for DeBrincat.

Would require an overpayment on our end if we're trading an underperforming player (Dube++, Mangiapane++), or having to pay a player we don't want to get rid of (Andersson). His QO is high, it's basically a Tkachuk-like situation all over again except a little less. Maybe a Meier-like package.

I think Conroy is smart enough to stay away from this. As much as we are hurt for a goal scorer, I think Toffoli will still be used as a stopgap while we wait for a Mangiapane bounce-back and continuous Coronato development.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:26 AM   #44
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not the type of player we need really, nor do I think he wants to play in Canada either.
Ottawa made a poor choice here, they could have really improved their build keeping the picks..

Could see him back in Chicago for sure.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:33 AM   #45
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
They were locked up for 8 years. The clock has barely begun to tick on those players. No need to rush.
So waiting 3-4 years for those picks to make an impact they have burned through half of those extensions. Once you pay your young stars you cannot continue to try and tank so I disagree Ottawa made the wrong move adding 2 players in their prime to help win now. If they went after 30+ aged players that would be a mistake but ideally Debrincat and Chychrun would extend and be long term pieces to win now and the future.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 07:48 AM   #46
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So waiting 3-4 years for those picks to make an impact they have burned through half of those extensions. Once you pay your young stars you cannot continue to try and tank so I disagree Ottawa made the wrong move adding 2 players in their prime to help win now. If they went after 30+ aged players that would be a mistake but ideally Debrincat and Chychrun would extend and be long term pieces to win now and the future.
I think Debrincat was a poor choice and an unnecessary luxury for them.

It was known he was asking for big money, more than Chicago was comfortable giving him. Ottawa's had discussions about a long term deal, and they weren't comfortable with the numbers he wanted.

I think he was always an unlikely extend.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 08:01 AM   #47
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Mangiapane would be a start. Then you gotta clear another 4 million in c9ntrac5s just to entertain him signing. Hanifin? Sanderson/Hanifin might be a pairing they'd covet.
I’d consider that deal pretty hard, but at the end of the day I’d probably say no.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 08:30 AM   #48
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Debrincat has tons of skill, but he is a supporting player, not the main guy. The Flames can't afford to keep throwing this kind of $$$ at supporting role types. It's like Mitch Marner in Toronto, he's not the guy, if anything he disappears in the playoffs. You put your $$$ behind a legit #1 center and then look for bargains on the wings. Ideally you draft that #1 and be patient until then.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:17 AM   #49
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
They were locked up for 8 years. The clock has barely begun to tick on those players. No need to rush.
No they weren't. Stutzle and Norris signed after the team made a commitment to try to win and acquired Debrincat. Otherwise I have a feeling they might not have had the greatest chance signing those guys when their pitch is:

"Hey guys, we want you to sign long-term but we aren't going to try and win with you at all. Instead we'll toil at the bottom of the league with the cheapest owner in the NHL, a crappy arena and no plans of getting better while you're in your prime because we want to hoard draft picks. Anyways, sign on the dotted line."

I mean you wouldn't want to be a GM and just hope your star players sign when you want them to without doing anything to keep them, that would be embarrassing...
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:20 AM   #50
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

DeBrincat was a decent gamble for Ottawa. Just simply didn't pay off. They need to focus on their goaltending and grab a starting goalie that doesn't have injuries.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:35 AM   #51
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It sounded like the Giroux negotiation included promises to push chips in and get some other pieces. Double bad GM’ing.
And almost certainly so did the Tkachuk, Norris and Stutzle negotiations. You're not locking up a young 20 year old core if you're telling them you won't be competitive until they are 30.

Giroux, Debrincat, the arena deal, probably all actions used to keep the core around.

And then it's not even really fair to look at results for Ottawa when arguably their best player from 2021-2022 missed the entire season.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:38 AM   #52
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
No they weren't. Stutzle and Norris signed after the team made a commitment to try to win and acquired Debrincat. Otherwise I have a feeling they might not have had the greatest chance signing those guys when their pitch is:

"Hey guys, we want you to sign long-term but we aren't going to try and win with you at all. Instead we'll toil at the bottom of the league with the cheapest owner in the NHL, a crappy arena and no plans of getting better while you're in your prime because we want to hoard draft picks. Anyways, sign on the dotted line."

I mean you wouldn't want to be a GM and just hope your star players sign when you want them to without doing anything to keep them, that would be embarrassing...
Chabot and Stutzle signed a full season in advance.

Coming off ELC options are limited, as you generally (always?) aren't offersheet eligible. Locking in $60M+ and UFA before age 30 is a no-brainer.

Norris had only played 59 gp with 1 yr left on his ELC, so it made sense on both sides to play that year out. They did well to get him for 8 years, but he was already 23 when his ELC expired, so he had fewer options (basically bridge or 8). Coming off a huge season, it probably made sense to just secure the bag.

I doubt team composition factored very much in any of their decisions.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:46 AM   #53
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

God...I wish players would just be honest and say they don't want to sign long term with the team.. ownership saga?????...like it matters where your paycheck is coming from...he is American and clearly wants to go back home... within his rights...but just come out and state your true intentions..

As much as it was painful that Matthew Tkachuk left, at least he was honest
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:46 AM   #54
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Stutzle signed Sep. 7, 2022, the last of the core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I doubt team composition factored very much in any of their decisions.
Ha. Oh god. Yeah, I'm sure Brady would have been perfectly happy to sign long-term if they told them they were not planning on being competitive during his contract.

These guys signed because Ottawa saw their core and wanted to keep it together by making a commitment to win now. Whether it works out or not, we'll see.

And yeah, they probably could have made no commitment and signed these guys because they had their rights and could force them into a contract in order to play. And (those that have them) could exercise their arbitration rights and end up in Florida in the last year of being an RFA.

Instead Ottawa committed to building around them, and they committed to Ottawa. The idea that you think all these players don't care about their team winning or not though is pretty absurd.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:47 AM   #55
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I am not sure the Sens rushed their rebuild. They have locked up 4 prospects they developed in Chabot, Tkachuk, Norris, Stutzle. With all those guys getting paid the time to win should be soon so trading 1st rounders for 24-25 year old proven star players makes sense. You can’t be wasting years of these second contracts without trying to move the team forward.
This is a great point, but I don't get why Ottawa didn't try to address an actual need. They would have been much better off targeting a solid defensive #2/3 d-man.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #56
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

But you guys think they should do what Edmonton has done? Just keep sucking and hoping that one of their "rebuild" of using high draft picks stick? Luck into a lottery or two? Tell them it's not just okay to lose, but it's expected of them so they can get better players to replace them with?

At one point you need to decide it's time to win with your core. If it isn't while you're number one defenseman is in his late 20s, when is it? After he leaves for UFA? Good luck with that lol.

It wasn't like they wasted draft picks on 35 year olds either, they brought in players who were similarly aged as the core while supplementing them with UFAs. The actual transactions I care little about, but the idea that the never ending rebuild is the goal is just as bad as the Flames never rebuilding, different side of the same coin. Once you have a core you like you should go all-in, when the core is done or fails, you rebuild. #### or get off the pot.

And again, they finished 6 points behind the Panthers despite missing an expected 40 goal scorer. It wasn't like they were fighting for Bedard
Old 06-06-2023, 02:33 PM   #57
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This is a great point, but I don't get why Ottawa didn't try to address an actual need. They would have been much better off targeting a solid defensive #2/3 d-man.
Or a centre. Stutzle is probably a better wing. And even if he plays centre they need more.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:39 PM   #58
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post

And again, they finished 6 points behind the Panthers despite missing an expected 40 goal scorer. It wasn't like they were fighting for Bedard
They also lost Chychrun and Chabot on the backend as they were making their playoff drive at the end.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote