Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2022, 07:42 AM   #8041
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiprusoffResurrection View Post
I wish rolling PTO was a thing in Canada, personally. I have worked FT for about 20 years now and have never used more than 2 sick days in a year. Every year I have 8-10 sick days that go unused and provide me with no benefit whatsoever.

Meanwhile a certain group of co-workers always manage to use up their entire allotment of sick days. Amazing how those people are sick exactly 10 working days each year! Not 9 and not 11.

In terms of both company productity and moral, rolling PTO makes alot of sense to me. Should I get two weeks less off per year because I refuse to pretend I'm sick?

And before someone jumps down my throat, yes, there are people who use those sick days for very valid reasons. But they appear to be few and far between as best I can tell.
Using just two sick days is dumb. Take a mental health day a few times a year. Even for a couple days at a time. You're just leaving paid time off on the table and there's no reward for that. No need, either. It's not heroic.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 08:10 AM   #8042
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
And why do these unions stay in place? I assume it's because you can't just break them by leaving them on a picket line forever but I'd defer to you.
Out of curiosity and for fun, I asked OpenAI's new ChatGPT a bunch of questions about this. Here's what it had to say.
Spoiler!

TLDR
That was pretty long, so I also asked it to provide a tldr summary in bullet points:
Spoiler!

And last question:
Will improvements in AI, such as you, be more conducive to conditions of unionization or union breaking?
Spoiler!

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 08:24 AM   #8043
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
So effectively, you're arguing that because a portion of your population enjoys rolling PTO (while most low and middle income workers don't receive it at all), this is an "institutional cultural difference" and must be respected by dint that Americans love their working poor staying poor?

God bless America.
What you don't understand is the Fair Labor Standards Act does NOT require an employer to pay you for time not worked. This is a benefit that the employer extends to you and they are under no obligation to manage these programs in any consistent way, as the law clearly states that pay for not working is not required.

On the issue of options, a majority of the population prefers the roll up option. When they have both options explained to them, they much prefer the PTO option rather than vacation and dedicated sick days. Here's why.

In a system where you get 2 weeks vacation and 10 sick days you are expected to use only those days for the appropriate purposes. You get to normally bank the unused time in each to a maximum. The standard gift of vacation for employees who have not server five or more years with a company is usually two weeks of vacation (80 hours). For five to 10 years of service you will normally see another 20-40 hours granted. After 10 or 15 years you me be lucky to get another 20-40 hours, usually maxing out at around eight weeks vacation. Sick days stay consistent and you accrue hours for the time you work. The maximums are set by the company, but most allow you to accrue up to eight weeks of vacation before they start forcing you to use it or lose it. There usually is no payout option, but some will give you a 50% payout on the hours that exceed your bank. Sick days are also capped out and no payout is standard. It usually takes a few years to accrue enough vacation to where you are capped out.

In the rolled up PTO scenario, you're getting your two weeks vacation, plus 5-7 days that rolled in to the available days off. You can use all of these days as you see fit, for sick time or for vacation time. For those who don't use their sick time this helps accrue vacation time more quickly and get you to the point where you may receive a payout for the time exceeding your bank. Also, when you leave the company you are with, they have to payout your vacation, so you have that backend benefit. It works out much better for most in the American system and culture.

Quote:
"Actually, Americans love having large corporations boot on their neck, just not the government's."
Yup, that's a pretty accurate generalization. It is true that we live in a corporatocracy and people will let business get away with murder while at the same time not trusting government. This is wat happens when you are exposed to media that tells you the government is corrupt but corporations continue to work for you, the consumer. It's all backwards and bull####, but it is the American way. I personally don't like it, but I wasn't born here and wasn't exposed to the brainwashing that Americans are, especially from very early ages.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:34 AM   #8044
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm picking up what you're putting down, but I'm not really grasping why I'm supposed to respect this ####ed up cultural more, nor why it's some intractable position that can never be challenged.

I have a lot of American friends under 40 that have been turbo####ed by the system for years, it is not kind to those born into poverty or those who fall into marginalized groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 11:12 AM   #8045
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm picking up what you're putting down, but I'm not really grasping why I'm supposed to respect this ####ed up cultural more, nor why it's some intractable position that can never be challenged.

I have a lot of American friends under 40 that have been turbo####ed by the system for years, it is not kind to those born into poverty or those who fall into marginalized groups.
I hear what you're saying. The system needs to change. The problem is corporations are really good at selling a bad product and Americans have a really over-inflated sense of self as a nation. Whatever is done in the United States is the greatest, even if every measure imaginable says otherwise. It is frustrating and requires change at every level of society. We need better education that has people look beyond the borders of the United States and learn about other countries and societies. They need to understand the history of the country other than what the founding fathers had to say. Would it surprise you to know that the great depression, the New Deal, the formation of trade unions, and the impact they had on the working class is NOT taught in school? How can you change the minds and culture of a nation if the history of unions and the benefits they provided are never exposed? The corporations have done a tremendous job burying the history of their abuses of the working class and making sure that people remain uneducated sheep. They continue to stack the deck, but do so in a way where there is short-term benefit to workers, which is what Americans are raised to focus on - the short-term.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:59 AM   #8046
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, with all the denials of any election they don't win and constant cries for re-counts, Colorado will be running a mandatory re-count by law given the small margin of victory by which Boebert was re-elected. I'm sure the results won't change but would love to see the results flip just so the Republican election deniers can cry some more.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #8047
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
So, with all the denials of any election they don't win and constant cries for re-counts, Colorado will be running a mandatory re-count by law given the small margin of victory by which Boebert was re-elected. I'm sure the results won't change but would love to see the results flip just so the Republican election deniers can cry some more.

Ridiculous that this idiot keeps getting elected. WTF is wrong with people in that district?
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 12:38 PM   #8048
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Ridiculous that this idiot keeps getting elected. WTF is wrong with people in that district?
Her first re-election, but it's ridiculous, I agree she's been re-elected
Old 12-04-2022, 03:29 PM   #8049
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

So crazy...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1599235284671295488
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 06:17 PM   #8050
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
the "culture war" is going to turn into a real war for one side.

Its bizarre to me. Its ok for anti Semitism and white supremacy, but drag queens crosses the line for them?

What a ####ed up country
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:32 PM   #8051
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everybody loves a good toy soldier.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:00 PM   #8052
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There isn't much difference between these guys and some of the guys at Coutts. Or Ottawa, for that matter.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 08:29 PM   #8053
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yep, only difference is what you're allowed to carry in the US.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 10:13 PM   #8054
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That thump social tweet. Wow

Dangerous man
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:04 AM   #8055
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If these people realize what pantomime is they will lose their minds

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:39 AM   #8056
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
There isn't much difference between these guys and some of the guys at Coutts. Or Ottawa, for that matter.
One is protesting/intimidating the government. The other is intimidating private citizens. You don't see the difference in that?
Old 12-05-2022, 06:56 AM   #8057
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
One is protesting/intimidating the government. The other is intimidating private citizens. You don't see the difference in that?
No, please explain the difference. Both are using intimidation.

You're also going to have to explain this "intimidating the government" garbage too. Government is a mechanism of managing public policy and systems. You can't "intimidate" a policy or system, you can only intimidate the people that create or manage either. This intimidation is campaign based on fear and concerns of impending violence. That is the definition of terrorism. Are you suggesting that terrorism is okay?

Why would you think that one form of intimidation is okay over others. They are both terror campaigns and both extremely stupid and dangerous. The idiots who run around in tactical gear with guns and body armor are terrorists. They are nothing but Ya'll Qaeda and a threat to civil society.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:41 AM   #8058
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

But Muh Freeze Peach!

They Dun Grooming Our Chillins' (please ignore all the GOP politicians and pundits arrested for actually grooming/assualting kids kthx)

Quote:
Old 12-05-2022, 07:53 AM   #8059
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
the "culture war" is going to turn into a real war for one side.

Its bizarre to me. Its ok for anti Semitism and white supremacy, but drag queens crosses the line for them?

What a ####ed up country
Ok with anti-semitism and white supremacy? I am sure that is part of their mantra.

It seems there is at least a non zero chance that the power stations in NC that were shot up yesterday taking down power to 40,000 people was done to shut down a drag show that was being heavily protested.

Nothing close to definitive yet, but pretty f'n crazy if its gone that far. It seems the Club Q shooting has somehow started a war on drag shows?

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...269579392.html
https://www.thepilot.com/news/contro...4b3a3e425.html
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:59 AM   #8060
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks to Matt Walsh and Chaya Raichik, LGBTQ+ groups are once again being targeted en masse. It's only going to get worse.

Quote: