Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2022, 02:55 PM   #6081
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two big primaries also in the US tomorrow in Alaska and Wyoming. Liz Cheney is as good as done, but wouldn't that be something if she ended up getting re-elected? It's pretty much a vote on if the conservative voters in the state support Trump still or not.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:56 PM   #6082
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559240685064114176
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:01 PM   #6083
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

"Come and get me, coppers!"
"Ok."
"I meant that metaphorically!"
Old 08-15-2022, 10:09 PM   #6085
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Members of the US Congress and the Executive visit Taiwan all the time. And every time they do, China rattles its sabers. Like in June of 2019, August of 2020, September of 2020, June of 2021, November of 2021, April of 2022, March of 2022, and June of 2022.

Last edited by driveway; 08-15-2022 at 10:16 PM.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 10:55 PM   #6086
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Delegations to Taiwan from the US and other democratic partners have been happening for decades. That is the status quo.

China's increasing militarization under President Xi has contributed to more and more incursions across the median line of the Taiwan Strait which never used to happen like this. So, it seems China is seeking to unilaterally change the status quo.

I'm in Taiwan now and if anything I would say folks here are happy that US and other foreign delegations continue to visit, and Taiwan is not being forgotten about in the face of Chinese PLA militarisation.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:38 AM   #6087
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1556996324872036353

https://twitter.com/user/status/1557032656877101060
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 06:58 AM   #6088
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
It is naturally pushing China towards a breaking point.

Chinese culture also has a large premium placed on "face" and "shame". In this scenario, The CCP is losing enormous face by not being able to back up their threats or warnings. And shame that they are being shown to be liars about Taiwanese territorial control to their own population. Add this to quite frequent rumors of internal problems on the Chinese mainland (i.e. bank issues in Henan, real estate collapse, COVID lockdowns) and it could add to the CCP facing an enormous security threat internally. The other political intrigue is that this is all happening only months in advance of when Xi is set to confirm his grasp on the CCP and shove himself into a position unrivaled since Mao. October is when this meeting is set to take place. IMO it's no coincidence that these visits are happening RIGHT now.
No country likes to be shamed or looked down upon. That is not a China unique feature.

However - they would need a serious good reason to start a potential war with Taiwan where they could lose a lot more than 'face'. Some random US government person visiting Taiwan isn't that reason. Pelosi was a big deal because she is the leader of a branch of the US government. These rando people aren't going to change anything.
PeteMoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:06 PM   #6089
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hm, I wonder if Navarro and Kushner exchange holiday cards...

https://amgreatness.com/2022/08/15/t...lvania-avenue/

Quote:
The Clown Prince of Pennsylvania Avenue: Jared Kushner did more damage to the presidency and the Trump agenda during his four year reign of error at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue than anyone.
By Peter Navarro is the former Assistant to the President for Trade and Manufacturing Policy
Quote:
Take credit for what worked. Shift the blame for what didn’t. Run to Daddy-in-law whenever the big, bad chief of staff got in his way. That was Jared Kushner’s modus operandi during the long four years I had to serve alongside the man most responsible for the loss of the Trump White House.
Quote:
In the cold light of a January West Wing day, there was simply no other explanation than nepotism to account for how this decidedly unqualified Clown Prince wound up sitting as a modern-day Rasputin at the right hand of Trump.

Here’s a tongue-in-cheek sample day in the life of Kushner:

At daybreak, back channel his Chinese Communist Party handlers on the latest in trade negotiations and thereby weaken the bargaining position of United State Trade Representative Bob Lighthizer.

Midmorning, help Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman evade any responsibility for the murder of Jamal Khashoggi and thereby send Secretary of State Mike Pompeo into yet another paroxysm of rage.

At noon, ping Israeli Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu on the latest in Mideast peace talks and thereby keep National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien like a mushroom in the dark heaped in Jared’s excrement (which doesn’t stink—or so we were told).

Midafternoon, he meets with his staff to discuss the latest developments in mismanaging the pandemic and to see what else they can screw up. At sunset, he calls the vice president’s Chief of Staff Marc Short to see what data they can manipulate and make it look like the pandemic is getting better. Afterward, he drops into the Oval Office for the fifth time that day to see the Boss and tell him how great his polls look.

Kushner would endlessly peddle this “the polls look great” steaming pile to whoever would listen, and it would be this single piece of utter Kushner bull#### that would contribute so much to the inertia and lack of urgency within both the West Wing and campaign headquarters.
Quote:
The construction of this Hindenburg was due entirely to the anything but dynamic duo of Brad Parscale (the putative campaign manager) and Kushner himself (the actual campaign manager). These two “dumb and dumber” political geniuses—Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey should play them in the movie version—squandered hundreds of millions of dollars on ridiculous baubles like Super Bowl ads and a massively bloated payroll.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 05:38 PM   #6090
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559635032339251201

Hours away from her being voted out being official now
Old 08-16-2022, 05:42 PM   #6091
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559571852116299777
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 05:56 PM   #6092
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Never thought I would feel bad for Liz. But it’s factually accurate to say she is getting the boot for doing the right thing… despite any other enabling or other crappy things she may of done.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:04 PM   #6093
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Never thought I would feel bad for Liz. But it’s factually accurate to say she is getting the boot for doing the right thing… despite any other enabling or other crappy things she may of done.
Yup. I can't say I feel bad, but I do agree that she was doing the right thing, despite being a terrible enabler of backwards policies in the past and it's completely okay to acknowledge this. Too many extremist progressives refuse to acknowledge the good she's been doing lately.
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 07:52 PM   #6094
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

...........and she's an election denier. Which is more important in the GOP right now.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559691516339277824
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:14 PM   #6095
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default American Politics 3.0 - Back to Brunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
...........and she's an election denier. Which is more important in the GOP right now.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559691516339277824

Well at least it’s the house and not the senate

That seat Went 68% votes to republicans in 2020 and 64% in 2018

I wonder given how crazy the new republican candidate is what the actual odds are of a democratic victory
538 shows 99% Hagmen winning - already showing her as the candidate.

Although I couldn’t find their data sources and polls. I wonder if they don’t reflect the actual candidates yet.

Anyway I think it’s a pipe dream
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:28 PM   #6096
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't understand why they continue to idolize Trump. He's a loser. He lost to Joe Biden. Who lines up behind a loser? Giant losers, that's who.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:34 PM   #6097
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're lesser con artists trying to get a piece of the grift. In a lot of cases, anyway, it seems like.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:35 PM   #6098
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559737819278581767
Old 08-16-2022, 09:48 PM   #6099
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasnt he banished from Twitter? Did that get reneged?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:57 PM   #6100
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Wasnt he banished from Twitter? Did that get reneged?
That's from TruthSocial
calf is online now   Reply With Quote