Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-02-2022, 03:29 PM   #5801
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
And yet Biden can't come out and state that? Weak.

Another tactic would have been to say nothing.

"Pelosi is going to Taiwan? Did she get some Republicans to go with them"
The visit was to piss them off and send a message, the statement was to leave them enough face they didnt feel they needed to do something stupid to retaliate, unless you think war with China would be a good idea right now?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:22 PM   #5802
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anything, Biden has been much tougher and more hawkish internationally than his predecessor. He is just doing it with a much less rogue and solitary approach.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 04:30 PM   #5803
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I always assume JohnnyB is pro-PRC here so that the secret police monitoring his internet usage don't mark up his file as being a dangerous subversive.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:07 PM   #5804
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I don't really have much of a dislike for Pelosi, but I am in favour of peaceful co-development between China and the West, and I see this much more as a provocative move at a time when tensions and relationships have already been heading in the wrong direction. A Pelosi visit is quite different from a visit by Trump's Secretary of Health, as should be pretty evident by the media coverage, by the hundreds of thousands watching her flight tracker, and by the response of the markets. Pelosi visiting is a much bigger statement, and it's an unnecessary statement imo.
Trump's secretary of Health is part of his Admin, therefore a representation of him. Despite the public reaction, that was an official endorsement of the President to visit Taiwan without CCP approval.

An incorrect standard has been applied to Nancy, right or wrong.

But ya, we do disagree with if she is going is the "right" thing to do or not
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:10 PM   #5805
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If anything, Biden has been much tougher and more hawkish internationally than his predecessor. He is just doing it with a much less rogue and solitary approach.
This is very true, Trump killing the TPP agreement was one of the largest pro-China moves the US has made in a long time - Obama and Biden are rallies* of allies and Trump was an isolationist.

*lets not forget Keystone however....
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 05:28 PM   #5806
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Trump's secretary of Health is part of his Admin, therefore a representation of him. Despite the public reaction, that was an official endorsement of the President to visit Taiwan without CCP approval.

An incorrect standard has been applied to Nancy, right or wrong.

But ya, we do disagree with if she is going is the "right" thing to do or not
Yeah, you're definitely understating the political importance of Pelosi and overstating the political importance of Cochran. Or was it Wright? Or Price? Maybe Hargan? Possibly Azar?... I can never remember which of them was Secretary of Health and Human Services at that point during the four-year Trump admin.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:36 PM   #5807
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I always assume JohnnyB is pro-PRC here so that the secret police monitoring his internet usage don't mark up his file as being a dangerous subversive.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but pretty sure nobody's checking my internet.

I suppose if you want another reason to a priori rule out the opinion of someone you disagree with, you could turn to Girly's take that "These arguments are made by people who are bought off by China and Russia". Unfortunately, I'm not getting paid to post here on CP either. Wish I was though.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:08 PM   #5808
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but pretty sure nobody's checking my internet.

I suppose if you want another reason to a priori rule out the opinion of someone you disagree with, you could turn to Girly's take that "These arguments are made by people who are bought off by China and Russia". Unfortunately, I'm not getting paid to post here on CP either. Wish I was though.
everybody's internet is being checked
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 06:30 PM   #5809
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
everybody's internet is being checked
Ha, very true. I don't think I'm of any special interest though to anyone beyond the norm. The ones that are checking mostly just seem to want to know which ads to target me with or when I'm most likely to have run out of toilet paper or the like.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:45 PM   #5810
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
I suppose if you want another reason to a priori rule out the opinion of someone you disagree with
I was mostly kidding. Mostly. You don't seem rabidly irrational enough to be a PRC stooge, just irrational in a different and slightly deeper way than us Western stooges.

That said, weaponizing internet logs against its citizens is definitely something the PRC does. Unless you believe the Great Firewall of China is atypical of their approach to information tracking and control. Automation of data gathering is trivial nowadays.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:16 PM   #5811
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I was mostly kidding. Mostly. You don't seem rabidly irrational enough to be a PRC stooge, just irrational in a different and slightly deeper way than us Western stooges.

That said, weaponizing internet logs against its citizens is definitely something the PRC does. Unless you believe the Great Firewall of China is atypical of their approach to information tracking and control. Automation of data gathering is trivial nowadays.
I was also mostly kidding, but statements like yours and Girly's do seem to get used a lot by people who simply want to invalidate the views or information shared by people they disagree with on the topic of China, particularly those people who have actual experience with China. And, there is a raging industry of media and content creators hopping on the money train of grabbing attention by preying upon people's ignorance about China to stir up fears and hysteria. The invalidation of differing views quite often goes hand-in-hand with the hysterical content in a pretty toxic spiral towards people being more close-minded, more fearful and more receptive to that kind of content.

For sure data is gathered and used by China. Edward Snowden made it clear how wantonly that was being done even by the US years ago, and China is very sophisticated in this now. I'm not worried though, and I don't live there anymore.

Last edited by JohnnyB; 08-02-2022 at 07:28 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 08:49 PM   #5812
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Relevant content starts at 05:05 below.

activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:08 PM   #5813
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Kansas came out to vote tonight! Great to see.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1554662091042308096
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 09:13 PM   #5814
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hell yes, Kansas. By a decently big margin, too. Don't piss off the women!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1554659782811844615

https://twitter.com/user/status/1554646073842569217
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 10:38 PM   #5815
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1554660670192361472

As bleak as things have felt down here since the original leak re: Roe v Wade, this was really good to see. Quite a sign of how unpopular this is that even in a pretty comfortably red state like Kansas, a ballot measure like this can fail so dramatically.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 11:28 PM   #5816
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
I don't really have much of a dislike for Pelosi, but I am in favour of peaceful co-development between China and the West, and I see this much more as a provocative move at a time when tensions and relationships have already been heading in the wrong direction. A Pelosi visit is quite different from a visit by Trump's Secretary of Health, as should be pretty evident by the media coverage, by the hundreds of thousands watching her flight tracker, and by the response of the markets. Pelosi visiting is a much bigger statement, and it's an unnecessary statement imo.
Peaceful co-development between China and the West should not continue to happen so long as China maintains its beligerence over Taiwan. Western nations should absolutely refuse to work with China, and call the CCP out on its outright lies (the '1992 consensus'), when it comes to China's position regarding one of the strongest, most vibrant democracies in Asia.

China should be pressured relentlessly to, at the very least, drop its objections to Taiwan participating fully in such international forums as the World Health Organization and the International Civil Aviation Organization.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 12:58 AM   #5817
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Fake Lake is clearly detached from reality. If she loses she'll claim voter fraud and not concede.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1554483744618299396
Old 08-03-2022, 07:24 AM   #5818
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post

As bleak as things have felt down here since the original leak re: Roe v Wade, this was really good to see. Quite a sign of how unpopular this is that even in a pretty comfortably red state like Kansas, a ballot measure like this can fail so dramatically.
The Dems need to push Roe v Wade in 2024. Think it's enough to help them win.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:36 AM   #5819
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post

First off, very happy this failed. However, I worry it might not be much of an indicator of political shifts. And I say that because one of my best friends and roommates from college is active in Kansas politics and having heard from him about this effort over the last several months, I know that a LOT of work went into striking this down. And I'm not sure such a sustained effort is possible for the general election when you are trying to contest races everywhere, its just exhausting.

I feel like the democratic party can put together pretty good individual campaigns but the republican party is better at running an overarching strategy that works across the board.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 08:03 AM   #5820
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I was also mostly kidding, but statements like yours and Girly's do seem to get used a lot by people who simply want to invalidate the views or information shared by people they disagree with on the topic of China, particularly those people who have actual experience with China. And, there is a raging industry of media and content creators hopping on the money train of grabbing attention by preying upon people's ignorance about China to stir up fears and hysteria. The invalidation of differing views quite often goes hand-in-hand with the hysterical content in a pretty toxic spiral towards people being more close-minded, more fearful and more receptive to that kind of content.

For sure data is gathered and used by China. Edward Snowden made it clear how wantonly that was being done even by the US years ago, and China is very sophisticated in this now. I'm not worried though, and I don't live there anymore.
Ignorance about China?

How is the Uyghur genocide going these days?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote