Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #301
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can also use gems to customize your gear.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #302
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Creating a whole new character was the fun of it . Also when it came to pvp the ability to customize your characters played a big role
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #303
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now that D3 is coming out can they answer one GD question for me that I have from D2? WTH is the gem activation thing for on the chats when playing multiplayer D2?? Sometimes I lay awake nights still wondering what it did. Yeah they say it did nothing but ...
Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #304
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Chat Gem is a gem that appeared between the game and chat windows on Diablo II Battle.net. Players soon discovered that this gem could be clicked on and would change. The color would change, and when it changed a message would pop up into the chat, stating: "Gem Activated." When clicked once more, it would say: "Gem Deactivated". On rare occasions, a message would appear (mind you after a LOT of clicking) "Perfect Gem Activated", and other times: "Moooo."

Players soon began to speculate that when the perfect gem was activated, all gems in the current player's inventory would be upgraded to perfect gems. Others said that when activated, all it did was ensure a gem shrine would be placed in the game. When asked, Blizzard replied: "The chat gem is working as intended."

The Chat Gem has made its appearance on Diablo III's web page, although when clicked, it does nothing but turn purple. The gem can also be found on Warcraft III's World Map Editor. When clicked, the green gem turns purple with the following message "Gem Activated". Any units deleted after the gem has been activated will display their "death animation" upon deletion.

In an interview at Gamescom 2011 by GameTrailers, Jay Wilson stated that "the chat gem is not coming back" to Diablo III. He also said, "I will definitively say, the chat gem did nothing" in regards to its functionality in Diablo II.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #305
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluck View Post
No character customization is terrible they dropped the ball huge on this one , everyone's going to have the same characters pretty much
Whoa, whoa...wait a sec. People had different characters in D2? I seem recall when I was playing that nearly everyone used the optimal spec and that was it.

Quote:
Creating a whole new character was the fun of it . Also when it came to pvp the ability to customize your characters played a big role
Yes...abandoning my Level 75 Paladin because some other spec was better sure was awesome.

IMO, I don't see the lack of customization as an issue.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #306
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post

In an interview at Gamescom 2011 by GameTrailers, Jay Wilson stated that "the chat gem is not coming back" to Diablo III. He also said, "I will definitively say, the chat gem did nothing" in regards to its functionality in Diablo II.
I do not believe him!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #307
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

**** everyone of you guys... I won't be play this since I'm too broke to buy a new PC, D2 LOD was my childhood, level 99 Trapsin
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #308
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
**** everyone of you guys... I won't be play this since I'm too broke to buy a new PC, D2 LOD was my childhood, level 99 Trapsin
Springs coming up, knock on some doors, mow some lawns (female or otherwise ) save 500 bones and buy a used rig.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #309
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Springs coming up, knock on some doors, mow some lawns (female or otherwise ) save 500 bones and buy a used rig.
Any money I earn over the summer goes towards my tuition next fall... brb Nursing textbooks/equipment over $1000 per semester...

Ahhh **** it I wasted most of my life playing video games.. don't want to go back to that addiction. I'll be crying in the back ground while you guys enjoy the **** out of D3
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #310
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just over a month to go! Beta keeps getting better to
Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #311
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Got into the Beta tonight. I just happened to be checking my account, and saw that I could download it. I didn't get an e-mail or anything.

REALLY liking it so far.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #312
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Blizzard just issued 275,000 beta test invitations. If you have opted in, you might want to check your account to see if you have received one.
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #313
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yeah just got a beta invite last night as well
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #314
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn't see this posted. Mini trailer for Barbarians and the Demon Hunter

Old 04-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #315
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Monk Spotlight

Third spotlight video

Old 04-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #316
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This game makes me mad. Got into the Beta and as far as I can tell they've dumbed down everything, no more character stat customization, no more getting to build a skill tree, now all you get to make a character truly your own is gear. The best thing about Diablo and D2 was creating your own character builds and seeing if they could work or not.

To me it just seems like Blizzard is just doing a big money grab here, making it so if you want your character to be different then the other million characters out there you either have to spend money in the auction house (for which Blizzard makes a cut of course) or spend all your time running the high level dungeons over and over again hoping to score some decent gear.

I'm getting real sick of Blizzard dumbing everything down so they can spoonfeed their games to less experienced gamers to attract more players and $$$.

End rant.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #317
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't miss the stat allocation at all.

Allocating stats leads to needing a gameplay mechanic to reset those points. Most people looked up a guide to figure out the "best way" to allocate stats anyways... so what really is the point?

The complexity is going to come from balancing the use of each character's skills since you have access to 7 at any given time (as opposed to Diablo 2 where you used 2 repeatedly).

The game play is definitely more complex (and I anticipate more in the real game) - character customization not as complicated. This approach appeals to novices and "experts" alike. Frankly, more games should aim for this paradigm.

I'm cool with the changes. It's been over a decade - surely game design has advanced.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to llama64 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #318
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Exactly - WoW had skill trees. We all know what variety you really had with those.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #319
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
This game makes me mad. Got into the Beta and as far as I can tell they've dumbed down everything, no more character stat customization, no more getting to build a skill tree, now all you get to make a character truly your own is gear. The best thing about Diablo and D2 was creating your own character builds and seeing if they could work or not.

To me it just seems like Blizzard is just doing a big money grab here, making it so if you want your character to be different then the other million characters out there you either have to spend money in the auction house (for which Blizzard makes a cut of course) or spend all your time running the high level dungeons over and over again hoping to score some decent gear.

I'm getting real sick of Blizzard dumbing everything down so they can spoonfeed their games to less experienced gamers to attract more players and $$$.

End rant.
Not trying to pick on you here, but regarding the bold part, isn't that the entire point of playing Diablo? I know it is for me.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #320
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post

End rant.
welcome to the modern age of video games where big budget companies water down franchises to pander to the masses. Crytek did it, Blizzard did it, EA does it every single day, Bioware did it. Video games today are akin to the music industry in my opinion, the small companies that used to produce inspired and memorable games are now run by greedy companies that care nothing more than making money. This is no more apparent than the influx of DLC and episodic content post-release that was possible to release on the disc. I just bought ssx and it's a slap in the face to the original fans, I bet Diablo 3 will be as well. I remember I loved the original starcraft games to death but couldn't even finish SC2.

If this game makes you mad get used to it, this is where video games are going. There will be a day when you have to pay full retail for a game then pay for DLC to get the ending. Sure you'll get the odd game like Demon's Souls or Red Dead Redemption but those developers are few and far between and they are selling out one by one. Dragon Age 2 had to be the biggest example of this.

Last edited by vektor; 04-19-2012 at 12:15 PM.
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vektor For This Useful Post: