Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default #Retire14

I know this topic (retired jerseys) has its own debate going on, but figure this is worthy of its own thread.

Boomer SoundCloud on twitter this AM:

https://twitter.com/boomerandrhett/s...271565312?s=21

Worth a listen (and possibly a social media CP Jihad....?)

#Retire14
drewtastic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

He absolutely should have his jersey retired.

2nd greatest Flame of all time.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Forever a Flame is the dumbest thing. The players have already retired #14. Do the right thing Flames!

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
uofaflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Only if they retire it, and not the Forever a Flame thing.

Theo probably hasn't helped himself getting it retired or being considered for the HoF

Last edited by uofaflamesfan; 07-10-2018 at 10:05 AM.
uofaflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uofaflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Meh. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think we can speculate as to why they haven't and I don't think it has anything to do with what he did on the ice.

It could be sour grapes for how Theo acted after he left the organization or it could be that he's been a bit of a loose canon and may not take the jersey retirement as honorably as the organization would like.

I think the organization needs to believe that he won't badmouth them or embarrass them.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think we can speculate as to why they haven't and I don't think it has anything to do with what he did on the ice.

It could be sour grapes for how Theo acted after he left the organization or it could be that he's been a bit of a loose canon and may not take the jersey retirement as honorably as the organization would like.

I think the organization needs to believe that he won't badmouth them or embarrass them.
Boomer speculates (albeit briefly) about this in the sound-bite.

(As an aside, whether or not people think Theo deserves it, the audio's only ten minutes long and worth a listen--fun distraction during the hockey-free summer months!)
drewtastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
King Theo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I agree. Theo should have his number retired. I think he should be in the Hall of Fame.

AC what are the chances that you could do a highlight video of "14"?
King Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to King Theo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theo has been his own worst enemy when it's come to getting his number retired. Every time he opens his mouth about the Flames, it sets it back 5 years.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

It's not going to happen. Yes, yes, yes... by career achievements he should both have his number retired (none of that "Forever a Flame" malarkey) and be in the Hall of Fame... but Theo never crossed a bridge that he didn't think would look great on fire.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #11
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

No to Fleury having his number retired.

Having your number retired means you were the epitome of what a hockey player is to the organization. McDonald was the only number retired for many years, because exemplified all the characteristics you hope for in a player. Vernon was given the honor on the back of him being a Calgary boy and an epic career in the NHL, including two stints with the Flames. Vernon had some character issues when he was young, but he managed to grow up and become a good citizen as well as a great player.

Fleury was a great producer, but was a terrible team mate. Fleury believed he was bigger than the team and he continued to let everyone know that, especially later in his career. Theo never grew up. He still continues to bad mouth the team. I would not want to honor a player who had such a lack of character. Honor him like they did with MacInnis, but just no to retirement of his number.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is time for the organization to rise above any remaining ill feelings. After Lanny and Iginla, Fleury defined this team. He was about the only reason to watch for a number of years and if you are a long term Flames fan, many of your best memories of the team involve Theo.

It is ridiculous he has not been recognized. There is nothing he should have to do to gain favor with the organization as this has everything to do with what he did on the ice and the excitement he provided the fans.

His shootout goal in pre season was crazy exciting. That should be ample evidence of how the fans feel about this guy.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #13
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is a black mark on the Calgary Flames organization that arguably the greatest player to suit up for the franchise has not had his numbers lifted into the rafters yet. Yes, as a direct result of things that happened to him when he was a youth he made some serious bad choices in his personal life. That being said the man has done conventions, wrote books, and reached out and helped many victims of abuse over the years. These accomplishments far outweigh his own personal demons he overcame and he has probably saved lives.

As for bad mouthing the team the only time I remember anything like that was when he was cut after attempting his comeback and it was more of a guy complaining he should not have been cut and he was right. Having not only such a legend of the game but a great public spokesperson for the abused not retired while the likes of Mike Vernon who was not even that great in the grand scheme of goaltending is ridiculous.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #14
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No to Fleury having his number retired.

Having your number retired means you were the epitome of what a hockey player is to the organization. McDonald was the only number retired for many years, because exemplified all the characteristics you hope for in a player. Vernon was given the honor on the back of him being a Calgary boy and an epic career in the NHL, including two stints with the Flames. Vernon had some character issues when he was young, but he managed to grow up and become a good citizen as well as a great player.

Fleury was a great producer, but was a terrible team mate. Fleury believed he was bigger than the team and he continued to let everyone know that, especially later in his career. Theo never grew up. He still continues to bad mouth the team. I would not want to honor a player who had such a lack of character. Honor him like they did with MacInnis, but just no to retirement of his number.
Paging This Post Is Terrible. How can you say Vernon had character issues and then overcame them but not say the same about Theo? This is an obvious I can't stand this player post.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #15
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

#RetireForeverAFlame
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Paging This Post Is Terrible. How can you say Vernon had character issues and then overcame them but not say the same about Theo? This is an obvious I can't stand this player post.
How can you call a two-time Stanley Cup winning Conn Smythe Trophy recipient "not that great"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #17
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apart from his comments regarding Conroy and the Flames after his unsuccessful try-out, what has he said that has been so upsetting? Legit question. Following his Twitter he seems to be nothing but a fan and booster for the team, especially #19.

That comment was needless, no doubt. However, this theme of Fleury continuously slamming the Flames seems largely to be myth.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #18
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
How can you call a two-time Stanley Cup winning Conn Smythe Trophy recipient "not that great"?
Well one was with the Red Wings who made Chris Osbad look like a top end goalie and the other was a super stacked Flames team. What about the multiple first rnd exits? I just don't see how Vernon was retired when a guy like MacInnis was honoured, Vernon is not even the most talented goalie to ever play for us. The numbers that should be retired are 12 (when he retires), 14, 2, and 9. Not honoured, retired. The Flames screw up everything though.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #19
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Apart from his comments regarding Conroy and the Flames after his unsuccessful try-out, what has he said that has been so upsetting? Legit question. Following his Twitter he seems to be nothing but a fan and booster for the team, especially #19.

That comment was needless, no doubt. However, this theme of Fleury continuously slamming the Flames seems largely to be myth.
The only thing that comes to mind is his sorta dismissal of Gaudreau's success, which was more "I had it tougher" self-congratulation than something negative about Johnny.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #20
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The only thing that comes to mind is his sorta dismissal of Gaudreau's success, which was more "I had it tougher" self-congratulation than something negative about Johnny.
There was no dismissal there, he praised Johnny. Sure he said it was a tougher game when he played but what is wrong with that? It was. Gretzky has said the same thing when talking about McDavid, he must be a self centred jerk as well. Or it could just be a player saying the game was rougher back then and not read into it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: