Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 12 Teens and Soccer Coach Found Alive After 9 Days

I was following the story the last while and I'm completely shocked they've been found alive after going missing for 9 days after leaving for a hike. Not out of the clear yet though as the divers that found them are saying they might need them to dive back and out to safety and they're all extremely dehydrated, hungry and weak.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...cue/index.html
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Great great news, I expected the worst from that story.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It's amazing that they were found alive. Hopefully they can be pulled out safely.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, I am shocked to hear this. I hope they all survive.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to hear some good news after all the horrible news we've been inundated with lately. Hopefully they can all make it out safely.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Good to hear they were all found safe. Hopefully they all make it out and are reunited with their families.

I expect there's a movie director who try to make a blockbuster movie from this.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some nice news for a change in a world full of bad news
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #8
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thai boys 'could be in cave for months' -http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44692813

The boys trapped in a Thai cave will have to learn to dive or wait months for flooding to recede, the country's army says.

Rescue operations are battling with rising water and are currently bringing in food and medical supplies.

The 12 boys and their football coach had been missing for nine days before they were found by divers on Monday.
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
leah12
Draft Pick

Even I'm a better soccer coach than this guy.
leah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leah12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 04:17 AM   #10
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah12 View Post
Even I'm a better soccer coach than this guy.
Is this supposed to be funny?
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #11
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand why it would take months to get them out. How long a dive in is it? Because strap a regulator to a kid's mouth and drag him out. All he has to do is breathe. Has there been some further explanation for this?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #12
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The story I read said they would have to learn how to dive or be stuck for months until the water receded. So presumably they can pull them out sooner, but the kids need to play an active part in their own rescue.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:50 AM   #13
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
Is this supposed to be funny?
Lighten up, Francis.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #14
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't understand why it would take months to get them out. How long a dive in is it? Because strap a regulator to a kid's mouth and drag him out. All he has to do is breathe. Has there been some further explanation for this?
From what I've read, it's a dive that would take trained Navy SEALS 6 hours to complete. It requires going through small passages that would require them to remove their tanks from their backs to get through in extremely visible impairing muddy water that has strong currents at points.

None of the trapped boys or coach can swim. And at this point they have muscle atrophy.

When the trained divers, some of the best in the world, are suggesting it's easier just to pump out the water, it's probably a good sign that the diving is extreme.

However, they have also asked for 15 small facemasks (as the others were too big) so it's clearly not an option they've eliminated.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 07-03-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #15
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The story I read said they would have to learn how to dive or be stuck for months until the water receded. So presumably they can pull them out sooner, but the kids need to play an active part in their own rescue.
But why do they need to learn to dive? These are rescue divers, they ought to be able to pull a limp corpse out of a cave. The kids don't need to learn to frog kick efficiently or read a dive computer, they just need to breathe, presumably. I'm sure visibility is terrible and it's tight quarters in there, but the real question is how long a sustained dive they have to do. If it's a few hundred meters at a time between being able to surface, this shouldn't take that long to accomplish. I assume there's some other factor that isn't being clearly expressed.

Edit: okay, that level of complexity makes more sense. I didn't think it would be THAT tight. I mean, the kids got in there in the first place. Do they need full size tanks? Does a rebreather not do the job here?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-03-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:13 AM   #16
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
I mean, the kids got in there in the first place. Do they need full size tanks? Does a rebreather not do the job here?
They walked in, and then the cave flooded. Yes, for that long of a dive they need full sized tanks. And a rebreather that you have seen in movies doesn't necessarily exist in the real world.

Cave diving is one of the most challenging dives. It's tight, murky water and very easy to become disorientated or claustrophobic. Either of those lead to panic and you are as good as dead.

Good reading here: (Better than my explanation)
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/asia/...ntl/index.html
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
They walked in, and then the cave flooded. Yes, for that long of a dive they need full sized tanks. And a rebreather that you have seen in movies doesn't necessarily exist in the real world.

Cave diving is one of the most challenging dives. It's tight, murky water and very easy to become disorientated or claustrophobic. Either of those lead to panic and you are as good as dead.

Good reading here: (Better than my explanation)
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/asia/...ntl/index.html
I'm not talking about the rebreather I've "seen in movies", I'm talking about the equipment that experienced divers use. You can get a lot of bottom time out of very small tanks under the right circumstances, particularly at shallow depths. I'm going off of statements like this, which makes it seem like it's totally do-able:
Quote:
"You don't have to swim to dive. The equipment does the work for you -- you just have to be comfortable ... to overcome that fear and learn. That is what's going to be difficult to teach," Taylor said.
That just makes it sound like they have to be able to breathe through a regulator and not freak out.

I get how it happened with the cave flooding, I'm just surprised that they went into areas that would require a terribly tight squeeze to get into. A lot of it depends if you can do the thing in stages. Are they in one cave pocket, and there are another 5-10 spots to stop and rest between where they are and the exit? Or do you have to do the whole thing in one dive? It'd be neat to see a graphic or diagram of the way out with distances.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #18
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not talking about the rebreather I've "seen in movies", I'm talking about the equipment that experienced divers use. You can get a lot of bottom time out of very small tanks under the right circumstances, particularly at shallow depths. I'm going off of statements like this, which makes it seem like it's totally do-able:

That just makes it sound like they have to be able to breathe through a regulator and not freak out.

I get how it happened with the cave flooding, I'm just surprised that they went into areas that would require a terribly tight squeeze to get into. A lot of it depends if you can do the thing in stages. Are they in one cave pocket, and there are another 5-10 spots to stop and rest between where they are and the exit? Or do you have to do the whole thing in one dive? It'd be neat to see a graphic or diagram of the way out with distances.
To kids who can't swim, trapped in a cave for 9 days with no food/water/light - "Just breathe and don't freak out"

What could go wrong?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #19
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also suspect these kids are in mental shock and not in the best emotional state to learn how to dive.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #20
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically any solution is a risk at this point, though, isn't it? Leaving them in there with water levels rising doesn't seem like a great idea either, and the longer they're in there the worse their condition becomes.