Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #201
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a great summary thanks. Like others I was expecting this to end in tragedy and it is really happy news they got everyone out and the Thai diver did not die in vain.

Also, wow has the shine really started to come off of Elon Musk. He shows up in an obvious publicity stunt and then when called out by one of the actual hero divers he responds by calling him a pedo. Seriously, WTF Elon?
Old 07-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #202
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there's an excuse for the "pedo" comment but it's clear the negative media attention is getting to Musk. He did have an active dialogue going on with the rescue team and they asked him to continue his project right until the last boy was rescued.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #203
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The hubris from Musk is entirely off the charts, and it's clear he's willing to do or say whatever he wants to win an argument, regardless of the validity of it.
Unsworth was a key figure in both locating and rescuing the boys from the cave, so we know he was a big part of the rescue team. It's pretty easy to see who has more credibility here.
It's disgusting of Musk to take something amazing, try and claim it for himself and when he can't, lash out and try to ruin if for someone who truly deserves it.
He's comes across like a terrible, self centred human being.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:07 PM   #204
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I don't think there's an excuse for the "pedo" comment but it's clear the negative media attention is getting to Musk. He did have an active dialogue going on with the rescue team and they asked him to continue his project right until the last boy was rescued.
Of course, they would. As long as he wasn't actively impeding the main rescue effort, why wouldn't you let other people keep their own ball rolling in the event that Plan A, B and C doesn't pan out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
He's comes across like a terrible, self centred human being.
He sounds like a man baby about it.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #205
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Of course, they would. As long as he wasn't actively impeding the main rescue effort, why wouldn't you let other people keep their own ball rolling in the event that Plan A, B and C doesn't pan out.
Well, as far as I understand the story, he didn't impede the rescue effort.

I'm not excusing the "pedo guy" comment, but the backlash against him before that doesn't seem warranted. He was trying to help with the information he was given. I do understand that frustration and how easy it is to make comments you regret when social media is right at your finger tips.

Last edited by Ashasx; 07-16-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #206
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Like Elon Musk needed publicity. I legitimately think he just likes being active and participating in all type of projects.

Guy should probably delete social media though.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #207
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I held Elon in high-regard, and found it a little gross how quickly so many equated his efforts as a PR stunt. Whether he was asked or not, I didn't see an issue with him jumping in to lend a hand and he used his Twitter feed to update on his progress. It was a little upsetting to see everyone jump down his throat, and I fear this discourages people in the future from proactively jumping in to help. I was elated to see Elon jump in, and wish more people with resources would look to see how they can help in situations like these.

I thought it was in poor taste that Vern Unsworth delivered his hot-take on Elon's capsule. He's welcome to call into question whether or not it would work - I think we all appreciate Vern's opinion on that - but to claim it as a PR stunt is an unwarranted jab. I don't know what else Elon could have done up to that point in that situation, as it seems like keeping to himself and letting others work it out was his best move - which is unfortunate.

But Elon destroyed all credibility with a childish and harmful jab to a hero. Calling a hero a pedo is absolutely inexcusable, but it's immensely exacerbated when you consider that the fuel for such an attack was Vern's passion for saving children's lives?

What an absolutely gross turn of events from a wonderful story - on all (on many?) sides. Elon (I still believe) was acting for good in trying to help, and has received nothing but outrage for his efforts. But now we have a recently recognized hero being disrespected in a very extreme way as his aches and pains from the event are still healing.

I need to find a remote island to spend the rest of my days on...
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #208
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Musk should probably stay away from social media altogether, and put some more effort into getting cars made in time. Maybe he was hoping this would be some kind of excuse for why he was behind schedule with the car manufacturing. Saboteurs, trapped children in a cave, what is next?

But how anybody even thought that submarine would be able to navigate the tight corners in that cave is beyond me.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #209
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not letting obstacles (this time literal) stop him from pushing forward is what has made Elon so successful. He also owns a boring company, so there are many options here as to how this could have worked. Remember, they were talking about these boys being in there for months originally (and when Elon would have been preparing the game plan).

Even if this pod served to safely take the boys through the latter stages of the tunnels it could have been useful. An airbag isn't going to help me all that much if I drive off a cliff, but it saves lives in collisions. That Elon's pod wasn't the end-all solution to helping them doesn't have to be a detriment to his efforts.

Unfortunately, he managed to corrupt his efforts all on his own...

If I'm in an escape room with friends, I don't sit down with all of them at the end of it and point out all the things they tried that failed. Coming at the problem in as many angles as possible is normally what we're after, but it's harmful to dump on every attempt that hit a dead-end.

Last edited by Split98; 07-16-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #210
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

So disappointing that such a good news story had to take this kind of turn.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:35 PM   #211
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think,could be wrong, that the divers were looking back and slagging all of the bad ideas that were brought up to rescue the kids. Musk’s attempt to help was brought back into the conversation, which was probably frustrating/annoying depending on how often it was brought up, or how Musk conducted himself at the caves.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:07 AM   #212
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are enough stories out there about Musk for one to realize that this is just a glimpse into his personality that he tries to hide most of the time.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #213
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Musk should probably stay away from social media altogether, and put some more effort into getting cars made in time. Maybe he was hoping this would be some kind of excuse for why he was behind schedule with the car manufacturing. Saboteurs, trapped children in a cave, what is next?

But how anybody even thought that submarine would be able to navigate the tight corners in that cave is beyond me.
He usually does a great job at social media and his SpaceX tweets are worth following him for.

He had a bad day. Oh well.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #214
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bad day? He called someone who was critical of his work a pedophile. I have a bad day, and I go for a beer. Never have I called someone I disagree with a pedophile (except Jared Fogle and his stupid subs).
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #215
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
A bad day? He called someone who was critical of his work a pedophile. I have a bad day, and I go for a beer. Never have I called someone I disagree with a pedophile (except Jared Fogle and his stupid subs).
and then he doubled down on the comment when called on it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...=.be54a0153e6a

from the washington post:
"But Musk took the brawl one step further, ranting to his 22 million Twitter followers on Sunday that Unsworth was a pedophile who “really did ask for it.” Pressed to explain the accusation, Musk instead doubled down: “Bet ya a signed dollar it’s true.”

he episode also seemed to repel some of Tesla’s closest backers, including alternative-energy loyalists who saw in Tesla a worthy opponent to the juggernauts of the oil and gas industries. Kevin Holland, the managing director of the Solar Shed, a British renewable-energy installer, said his company would no longer promote Tesla products until Musk gives a “full & public apology … regarding his disgusting comments to a real hero.”

“He’s an inspiration to so many by virtue of some extremely clever PR over the years and needs to remember that he is a role model,” Holland said. “Role models do not call people [pedophiles] on Twitter because they had an idea that wouldn’t work.”
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #216
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yeah, I just dont get it.

I mean, if you want to insult the guy thats one thing, but this is incredibly extreme.

And then when called on it because its nuts, he doubles down?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #217
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's also the whole insulting Thailand narrative, basically insinuating that there's no other reason for a white person to live there unless they are into children...
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #218
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

The more you see and hear about Elon, the more he appears to be a bit of a sociopath. He's charming when he wants to be, but behind closed doors he sounds like a rather arrogant, unsympathetic jerk who is highly prone to narcissistic injury.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #219
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
The more you see and hear about Elon, the more he appears to be a bit of a sociopath. He's charming when he wants to be, but behind closed doors he sounds like a rather arrogant, unsympathetic jerk who is highly prone to narcissistic injury.
No not the narcissistic billionaire! I won’t hear it.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #220
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking forward to hearing more about these kids reuniting with their parents, and their coach being a hero, and less about pedophiles and this Elon fella.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote